U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 1,690 times

Advertisements

Me and my boyfriend are from the DC, Maryland and Virginia metropolitan area. But because we hate townhouses and realized how expensive for a young couple in the DMV we are looking to move out of state. We both fell in love with Houston. In the next 2 to 3 years we will be in the market to buy a home. We are a young Black couple Who will also be starting a new family in the next 4 to 5 years. I have family that already lives in Houston (the Katy area to be specific) and I am intrested and living in either the Katy area, Sugar Land area, or Sienna Plantation area. One of the things that concerns me about Houston is the flooding issue. I'm aware that there is flooding insurance, but I've also heard rumors that flooding insurance doesn't completely cover you in the event of major floods like Harvey. I guess I want to understand more from the residents that live in Houston how they deal with flooding . I would think it would be detrimental to constantly repair your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 AM

954 posts, read 824,627 times
The vast majority of Houston, and its suburbs, did not flood during Harvey and have never flooded. If minimizing your flood risk is a top objective of your search (certainly a reasonable one), you'll have plenty of options.

Not sure about Sienna Plantation, but most of Katy and Sugar Land fared just fine during Harvey. Just don't do something silly like buy a house located inside of a flood control reservoir.

Wherever you buy, definitely get flood insurance. It should be mandatory for Houston. Even if you're nowhere near a floodplain, you could still flood due to a freak event like a storm sewer near your house collapsing and rainwater being unable to drain away during a heavy storm.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:53 AM

20 posts, read 56,814 times
All three were impacted to a degree. Katy flooded extremely heavily in houses east of 99 in parts of Cinco Ranch. (Canyon Gate was 100% flooded). Sugar Land had some flooding in some of the lower laying areas (Some of Riverstone was affected). And Sienna Plantation had about 30-40 houses flood. Any of this is verifiable by a google search.

Just do some due diligence on any of those 3 areas, all 3 are great places to live. Where will you be working? Those 3 are different parts of the metro and I would choose based on commute time. Check out this map if you narrowed your search down to a specific area and you can get a visual of how it fared during Harvey.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/h...28.400/-96.690

Old 07-10-2018, 07:55 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,854,226 times
I am from MD too, so welcome! Flood insurance will cost you $450 a year. So very cheap. Get it because you just never know. Sugar Land is a great place to live. You should be fine.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 1,690 times
So if my future home does flood and I have flood insurance will it cover the cost to have the walls floors whatever replaced?

Old 07-10-2018, 08:18 AM

20 posts, read 56,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bre_payne View Post
So if my future home does flood and I have flood insurance will it cover the cost to have the walls floors whatever replaced?
Yes. Buy outside of a flood plain and it is very cheap. ($450 as the other user noted)

Old 07-10-2018, 08:23 AM

2,262 posts, read 5,653,641 times
Quote:
Up to $250,000. If you are going to live in a flood-prone area (these areas around town are well known), then I wouldn’t buy a house worth much more th a that because FEMA covers up to $250,000 of costs. Buy outside of a flood zone and buy the insurance.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:51 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,854,226 times
Quote:
Our policy also covers up to $100,000 towards the contents of the home. And the $250,000 previously mentioned.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:15 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Up to $250,000. If you are going to live in a flood-prone area (these areas around town are well known), then I wouldn’t buy a house worth much more th a that because FEMA covers up to $250,000 of costs. Buy outside of a flood zone and buy the insurance.
Good news: $250-300k will buy the OP a very nice house in the Houston area. That would be 1/3rd below the median in the DMV--restricted to dumpy houses with the infamous East D.C. crime.

https://www.zillow.com/washington-ar...9/home-values/
The DMV is valued at $400,000 median.

https://www.zillow.com/houston-metro...2/home-values/
Greater Houston is valued at $197,400 median.

OP: Keep in mind that median homes are decent homes in average neighborhoods, such as well-to-do parts of Alief and Sharpstown. Katy and Sugar Land are chock-full of scenic master-planned communities sprawling into the wilderness.

$250k-300k will buy an older (usually smaller) house in a completed master-planned community and $350k and up will buy you a brand-new Texas-sized home in a neighboring new master-planned community. (I must say that the new houses are surprisingly larger than the one I bought new 15 years ago and there aren't any ones close to my size being built anymore.)

I live in Cinco Ranch West (of SH 99) and driving down Cinco Ranch Boulevard through the westside, the houses gradually change from olders and starters to gigantic, luxurious McMansions (sometimes gated and others in an ungated community with a gated porte-cocheres).

Old 07-10-2018, 09:18 AM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
And there are plenty of houses outside the 100 year flood plain. Unless its elevated (which is unlikely in the areas you are looking at), you shouldn't buy there. 100 year floods seem to happen every 5 years or so now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or