U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2018, 09:02 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,840 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all, I need an advice. I graduated with bs in geophysics this May, had a couple of interviews. One of them I feel really confident about. It's an entry level lab tech in fluids testing lab, not really geophysics related, pays about 24k. My question is, in the reality of job market, absence of experience, should I take it, had I been made an offer? My concern is, time is precious and i don't want to become damaged goods for employers one yr from now being without job. On the other hand, perhaps I should keep on looking and find something more related to my degree and with more $$?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 AM
 
955 posts, read 821,319 times
Reputation: 1005
First job out of college? I say take anything you are offered that doesn't require asking, "Do you want fries with that?" Get a resume going and start looking for a new job in 18 months. You'll be amazed at how much easier it is to find a job when you have a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 AM
 
771 posts, read 453,571 times
Reputation: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Geo View Post
Hi all, I need an advice. I graduated with bs in geophysics this May, had a couple of interviews. One of them I feel really confident about. It's an entry level lab tech in fluids testing lab, not really geophysics related, pays about 24k. My question is, in the reality of job market, absence of experience, should I take it, had I been made an offer? My concern is, time is precious and i don't want to become damaged goods for employers one yr from now being without job. On the other hand, perhaps I should keep on looking and find something more related to my degree and with more $$?
I think for most Geophysics jobs you need a Masters. If you want to go back to school eventually and just want to work and experience life then you can consider taking a job out of field.
However 24k is really, really low and you'd have trouble living on that in Houston, and I'd probably turn it down on that basis alone. Any job that does not give me financial independence and does not pad my resume is IMHO not worth it, unless I really, really need the money. How long have you been looking? Are your classmates finding better jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 09:26 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,840 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
How long have you been looking? Are your classmates finding better jobs?
I've been looking for couple months, have a friend who graduated petroleum engineering in December, not a single interview. Another one graduated like me with geophysics, same story. I have a spouse and his income is supporting us and our 2 little kids, so technically I could survive, as long as I start paying my student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Sugar Land, TX
1,362 posts, read 1,864,841 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Geo View Post
I've been looking for couple months, have a friend who graduated petroleum engineering in December, not a single interview. Another one graduated like me with geophysics, same story. I have a spouse and his income is supporting us and our 2 little kids, so technically I could survive, as long as I start paying my student loans.
In this case, go get a masterís degree in geophysics and defer your loan payments until you are done.

I have a bachelorís and masterís in geophysics. You really need the masterís degree. Go full time and you will finish in 2 years and be way more marketable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 11:26 AM
 
771 posts, read 453,571 times
Reputation: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Geo View Post
I've been looking for couple months, have a friend who graduated petroleum engineering in December, not a single interview. Another one graduated like me with geophysics, same story. I have a spouse and his income is supporting us and our 2 little kids, so technically I could survive, as long as I start paying my student loans.
A couple of months is not that long. I know people who looked for half a year before they found something good. With 2 little kids you'll need more than $35k before the job's worth it due to daycare costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 12:18 PM
 
14,852 posts, read 18,878,544 times
Reputation: 11823
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
First job out of college? I say take anything you are offered that doesn't require asking, "Do you want fries with that?" Get a resume going and start looking for a new job in 18 months. You'll be amazed at how much easier it is to find a job when you have a job.
Exactly,
It's better to say "I was working in X company for 6 months doing something I didn't go to school for while I waiting for the right job to show up"
than to say "I was home waiting for 6 months waiting for the right job to show up"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 PM
 
130 posts, read 119,718 times
Reputation: 258
Sounds like you will be putting labels on pee cups of parolees. If you keep looking and turn down the lab tech, you can always go to serving fries, and there won't be that much of a difference in pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 01:07 PM
 
4 posts, read 1,840 times
Reputation: 10
it's industrial fluids, oil, tested for viscosity, oxidation etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 PM
 
955 posts, read 821,319 times
Reputation: 1005
Are you 22 years old with no/limited experience? If so, my original advice still stands. If you're a nontraditional (polite way of saying older - ha) student and your resume isn't empty or many years outdated from being a stay-at-home-mom, then I may defer to mkwensky and swopoe. I also am unfamiliar with job searching in that particular field. I was a liberal arts major, so for me, it was wise to just get in the door somewhere to get my resume started. May not be the case for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top