U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2018, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,301 posts, read 8,431,372 times
Reputation: 5321

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Denied ! Houston is a Texas City through and through...

The Houston MSA probably consumes more of everything than the whole state of Louisiana or any other state that has less than 6 million in population.

Including but not limited to BBQ, seafood of all types , Hamburgers , Hot Dogs, beer , condoms ect, ect, ect,
Did you read the rest?

"Gossen’s HQ is just across Loop 610 from the Greater Heights area. The Lafayette native has been there a long time, but it seems Louisiana is finally coming to him. In the years since Katrina and over the course of the last oil boom, the Houston Heights has famously gentrified, but it’s more subtly become Louisiana-ized, a city within a city that is starting to vaguely resemble New Orleans and nearly mirror Baton Rouge. My wife and I moved to Timbergrove Manor, a neighborhood just west of the Heights proper, in 2010, five years after Katrina and just as the fracking boom was picking up speed. In those days I was biking through the Heights daily to and from work downtown, and I started to notice that increasingly, second-story porches were sprouting purple-and-gold LSU flags, black-and-gold Who Dat banners, and the occasional Fleur-de-Lis. There were also an inordinate number of late-model cars with Louisiana plates, often festooned with LSU and Saints bumper stickers. Little Louisiana touches were everywhere. A tree in the front-yard of a house a couple of blocks from ours sprouted a weird LSU face, and as I was wheeling our garbage bin out to the curb one afternoon there was an unaccounted for Abita bottle cap in my driveway. Gradually it dawned on my wife, who comes from New Orleans stock on her dad’s side, that we were suddenly living in an ethnic enclave of sorts."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 522,632 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Please read the following article in its entirety:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cul...ajun-invasion/

According to the ďbest guesstimateĒ of Jim Gossen, chairman of Houston-based Sysco Louisiana Seafood, Houstonians now annually consume more crawfish than the entire state of Louisiana. Thatís a guess of mine, but itís got to be a tremendous amount,Ē Gossen says in his South Louisiana drawl. ďAs many trucks as I know that are coming here from as many farms, itís gotta be pretty incredible. Houstonís metro area is about six-and-a-half million people, and thereís only what, four-and-a-half million in Louisiana? Everybody that has a farm [in Louisiana], they have trucks coming this way.Ē

Houston is a Cajun city, there is no denying that.
That's all very recent, and Houston loves a wide variety of foods. The number of actual Cajuns here is not that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
That map shows Harris County is mostly Mexican, or whites of Hispanic descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 09:43 PM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,586,462 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Denied ! Houston is a Texas City through and through...

The Houston MSA probably consumes more of everything than the whole state of Louisiana or any other state that has less than 6 million in population.

Including but not limited to BBQ, seafood of all types , Hamburgers , Hot Dogs, beer , condoms ect, ect, ect,
I wouldnít say through and through. Iíll give that to Dallas or Fort Worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 05:39 AM
 
735 posts, read 466,598 times
Reputation: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That map shows Harris County is mostly Mexican, or whites of Hispanic descent.
20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,301 posts, read 8,431,372 times
Reputation: 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That map shows Harris County is mostly Mexican, or whites of Hispanic descent.
Yes and this thread is not about Hispanics as the OP specifically didn't want information about this. They wanted information on the non-Hispanic white population.

I will fully agree that Houston is mostly Mexican. It has some really good Mexican food and more people are Mexican descent than others.

But when it comes to non-Hispanic whites, Houston at least in its history had a lot of influence from Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,301 posts, read 8,431,372 times
Reputation: 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Denied ! Houston is a Texas City through and through...

The Houston MSA probably consumes more of everything than the whole state of Louisiana or any other state that has less than 6 million in population.

Including but not limited to BBQ, seafood of all types , Hamburgers , Hot Dogs, beer , condoms ect, ect, ect,
Do you think Houston consumes more Tahini than Marrakesh even though it's a lot larger? Probably not.

I would venture to say that New York does not consume more crawfish than Houston.

For bread or generic goods yes New York would consume more than anything that Houston consumes but New York has zero Cajun influence so I would venture to say they don't consume a lot of crawfish. New York wouldn't probably even consume as much crawfish as Lafayette. The reason? In the spring, a Cajun in Lafayette may have crawfish once or twice a week. The average New Yorker has never even tried crawfish.

Specialty foods indicate people from that specialty region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 08:59 AM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Beautiful Northwest Houston
4,655 posts, read 4,495,078 times
Reputation: 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Do you think Houston consumes more Tahini than Marrakesh even though it's a lot larger? Probably not.

I would venture to say that New York does not consume more crawfish than Houston.

For bread or generic goods yes New York would consume more than anything that Houston consumes but New York has zero Cajun influence so I would venture to say they don't consume a lot of crawfish. New York wouldn't probably even consume as much crawfish as Lafayette. The reason? In the spring, a Cajun in Lafayette may have crawfish once or twice a week. The average New Yorker has never even tried crawfish.

Specialty foods indicate people from that specialty region.
I have never tried crawfish, I used to catch them all the time when I was a kid (we called them crawdads). I would gather hundreds after a rain when they would come out of their holes. I gave them away to somebody I think or maybe my Aunt just poured them back into the rain water.

I remember in the 80's I had a friend who used to swear how great Boudin and Dirty rice was, I never ate that stuff either. I lost track of that friend and never heard anybody else talk about Boudin or dirty rice. I have tried the Zatarains but that's a national name brand. I do like a good shrimp gumbo but that's about it.

Cajun cooking has been big nationwide for a long time, remember the blackened redfish craze? Sure there are more folks from Louisiana in Houston than most other large cities but it's ridiculous to say that somehow makes Houston a Cajun city. We're name after the guy who invented Texas for goodness sakes.

BTW Google "New York Crawfish Festivals" and you will get a lot of hits. Crawfish is a fad nationwide and I'm confident that fad will fade with time because crawfish are just more hassle than their worth...


BTW This is all totally off topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
9,301 posts, read 8,431,372 times
Reputation: 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I have never tried crawfish, I used to catch them all the time when I was a kid (we called them crawdads). I would gather hundreds after a rain when they would come out of their holes. I gave them away to somebody I think or maybe my Aunt just poured them back into the rain water.

I remember in the 80's I had a friend who used to swear how great Boudin and Dirty rice was, I never ate that stuff either. I lost track of that friend and never heard anybody else talk about Boudin or dirty rice. I have tried the Zatarains but that's a national name brand. I do like a good shrimp gumbo but that's about it.

Cajun cooking has been big nationwide for a long time, remember the blackened redfish craze? Sure there are more folks from Louisiana in Houston than most other large cities but it's ridiculous to say that somehow makes Houston a Cajun city. We're name after the guy who invented Texas for goodness sakes.

BTW Google "New York Crawfish Festivals" and you will get a lot of hits. Crawfish is a fad nationwide and I'm confident that fad will fade with time because crawfish are just more hassle than their worth...


BTW This is all totally off topic...
In my time here in Austin, crawfish have become more popular not less.

In dishes like crawfish ettouffee the restaurant shells the crawfish and they are yummy yummy. No crawfish is not going away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 02:27 PM
 
12,204 posts, read 17,586,462 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I have never tried crawfish, I used to catch them all the time when I was a kid (we called them crawdads). I would gather hundreds after a rain when they would come out of their holes. I gave them away to somebody I think or maybe my Aunt just poured them back into the rain water.

I remember in the 80's I had a friend who used to swear how great Boudin and Dirty rice was, I never ate that stuff either. I lost track of that friend and never heard anybody else talk about Boudin or dirty rice. I have tried the Zatarains but that's a national name brand. I do like a good shrimp gumbo but that's about it.

Cajun cooking has been big nationwide for a long time, remember the blackened redfish craze? Sure there are more folks from Louisiana in Houston than most other large cities but it's ridiculous to say that somehow makes Houston a Cajun city. We're name after the guy who invented Texas for goodness sakes.

BTW Google "New York Crawfish Festivals" and you will get a lot of hits. Crawfish is a fad nationwide and I'm confident that fad will fade with time because crawfish are just more hassle than their worth...


BTW This is all totally off topic...
Iím with you most of the time, but Houston is definitely more of a Cajun city than anywhere outside of Louisiana, save Beaumont and Orange. Chambers County, Liberty County, and eastern Harris County have huge Cajun populations. Now, places like Waller County are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 03:01 PM
 
735 posts, read 466,598 times
Reputation: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Iím with you most of the time, but Houston is definitely more of a Cajun city than anywhere outside of Louisiana, save Beaumont and Orange. Chambers County, Liberty County, and eastern Harris County have huge Cajun populations. Now, places like Waller County are different.
Yet the census data I posted on the last page says what you wrote is not the case at all. It shows all the big city counties in Texas are no more than 0.4% Cajun, same for Chambers and Liberty counties, same as San Diego and Los Angeles counties. Whatís up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top