U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 09:28 AM

19 posts, read 35,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
Have the builder bring in their structural engineer. Hire your own structural engineer and compare findings. Hopefully the builder will pay for your structural engineer.

Hairline cracks are common and are of no structural concern. You need to verify itís a hairline hydration crack from a licensed engineer who will put their stamp on the report.
This is exactly what we are doing although the builder is not paying for the 3rd party. They still have not tensioned it and the roof is on now as well and a couple other smaller cracks have formed, although not near the severity of this one. They promise it is going to be tensioned today.

I prefer not to name the builder until I give them a chance to do this correctly.. I will update once we go through everything, I've searched a few similar threads before and the OP never updates on what happens and it drives me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 12:02 PM

12,386 posts, read 6,872,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3444 View Post
This is exactly what we are doing although the builder is not paying for the 3rd party. They still have not tensioned it and the roof is on now as well and a couple other smaller cracks have formed, although not near the severity of this one. They promise it is going to be tensioned today.

I prefer not to name the builder until I give them a chance to do this correctly.. I will update once we go through everything, I've searched a few similar threads before and the OP never updates on what happens and it drives me crazy.
Thanks for the update, I hate to be blunt but tensioning the slab at this point will do nothing but put a check mark on a punch list. If they're trying to tell you that the cracks are normal and that tensioning the cables will close them and make everything ok they're feeding you a line of BS. There should never be that much weight put on a slab before it's tensioned.

Do you have any photos of the foundation before the slab was poured?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:03 PM

19 posts, read 35,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Thanks for the update, I hate to be blunt but tensioning the slab at this point will do nothing but put a check mark on a punch list. If they're trying to tell you that the cracks are normal and that tensioning the cables will close them and make everything ok they're feeding you a line of BS. There should never be that much weight put on a slab before it's tensioned.

Do you have any photos of the foundation before the slab was poured?
The foundation has been tensioned, how long before the cracks should close? Hours or days? They've closed a little but definitely still noticable, there's also no longer a noticable vertical change between them (I could feel a very slight difference previously now it's mostly smooth) some updated pics 3-4 hours after the tension was applied:

http://imgur.com/a/DWJ1QNM

Here are some random snaps I took before it was poured:

http://imgur.com/a/LAEe5WJ

Old 07-22-2018, 11:20 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,864,406 times
As I believe the other person stated already. Get you own engineer to certify the foundation. I am sure the builder already has had an engineer certify it for the 10 year warranty. See if there are any discrepancies between the two, and go from there.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3444 View Post
The foundation has been tensioned, how long before the cracks should close? Hours or days? They've closed a little but definitely still noticable, there's also no longer a noticable vertical change between them (I could feel a very slight difference previously now it's mostly smooth) some updated pics 3-4 hours after the tension was applied:

http://imgur.com/a/DWJ1QNM

Here are some random snaps I took before it was poured:

http://imgur.com/a/LAEe5WJ
Tensioning shouldn't be expected to close the cracks, during the framing process and just normal daily traffic dust and other junk has worked it's way down in those cracks so they'll never completely close up. It's good to hear that the surface leveling improved but be aware that for that to happen at least one side had to rise to meet the other which means that now the concrete is being supported by only the tension cables at that joint. I would still very much insist on a 3rd party engineer checking things out.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:15 AM

Did anyone else get a nasty anonymous message via the reputation system about this thread?

It seems as though you've got the attention of someone who's very concerned and angry about this thread being here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or