Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 04:30 PM

20 posts, read 43,198 times

Advertisements

There were some small cracks that formed early but nothing concerning. As framing went on, one stretched the entire length of the foundation to the sides and has gotten bigger l. I can also feel the difference with my fingertip.. is this something to be concerned with? Bad enough to hire someone to look?

It is a tensioned foundation but the tension has not been applied yet...

Pics:
https://imgur.com/a/MSt8FSy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 10:39 AM

158 posts, read 181,664 times
I feel like you have to wait until everything is tensioned.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:27 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
When was the foundation poured? That looks pretty significant, if that was done recently in this Houston heat it looks like that wasn't kept cool/wet during curing. That slab should have been tensioned before any major construction took place, you don't want to place a load larger than some basic wall framing on green and/or untensioned concrete. I'd pull a red flag on that job right away if that house was mine.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
I feel like you have to wait until everything is tensioned.
A standard 2K psi - 3K psi mix home foundation should be stressed within a week (7 days) of being poured, in the temps we're seeing right now that's cut down even more.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:04 PM

20 posts, read 43,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
When was the foundation poured? That looks pretty significant, if that was done recently in this Houston heat it looks like that wasn't kept cool/wet during curing. That slab should have been tensioned before any major construction took place, you don't want to place a load larger than some basic wall framing on green and/or untensioned concrete. I'd pull a red flag on that job right away if that house was mine.
It was poured 17 days ago. It looks like they have prepared it for tensioning but have not yet. The house is completely framed at this point.

Should we ask to bring in an independent structural engineer at this point?

Old 07-16-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3444 View Post
It was poured 17 days ago. It looks like they have prepared it for tensioning but have not yet. The house is completely framed at this point.

Should we ask to bring in an independent structural engineer at this point?
I would certainly take things to the next level quickly, in this heat and with that type of load on the perimeter of the slab it should have been tensioned 2 weeks ago, at this point it'll do no good to tension it and could cause more trouble than leaving it alone. All concrete will crack over time no matter what you do but we're talking years down the road and hairline cracks. For you to have cracking like that after 17 days you've got a problem.

Your last 2 photos showing the side shot of the foundation are the most disturbing, I'd be very concerned about future foundation issues if it were mine. You shouldn't be seeing those size cracks running perpendicular to exterior walls at 17 days, there should be a considerable size perimeter footing (12" wide by 24" deep typically) containing rebar which would support that wall. Did you get any pictures of the foundation forming before they poured the slab? I'd love to see the site work right before they poured it.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:34 PM

399 posts, read 641,692 times
Hire a Structural Engineer not just an independent inspector.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroots77 View Post
Hire a Structural Engineer not just an independent inspector.
Yep, and take/save as many photos as you can of the entire process.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:01 AM

112 posts, read 166,313 times
Who is your builder?

Old 07-20-2018, 06:55 AM

467 posts, read 778,453 times
Have the builder bring in their structural engineer. Hire your own structural engineer and compare findings. Hopefully the builder will pay for your structural engineer.

Hairline cracks are common and are of no structural concern. You need to verify it’s a hairline hydration crack from a licensed engineer who will put their stamp on the report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: