Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:19 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Word 'partner' instead of fiancee or girlfriend sounds kind of suspicious...

Um...not really. It sounds gay to me. This is 2018. When people use "partner" instead of wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, fiancee, to me it signals gay and wanting to be ambiguous with their sexuality and gender.

"Partner" could be men or women.'

I have 2 couple sets of neighbors who are male gay couples and they are nice as hell and they have dogs so we socialize and walk together when our dogs spot each other. I've been the in suburbs my whole life and I can't think of any area not really being welcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 AM

348 posts, read 460,341 times
Just to throw this out there as I'm in another forum and partner typically just means the person they're with (married or unmarried). They're typically individuals of opposite sex with kids, but could be anything really. It's a UK forum though, but just wanted to put it out there in case y'all meet someone from there that uses that term .

Carry on.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:39 AM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times
Since you want to live in the suburbs (as that is what a 220k budget will allow) but don’t know where you will be working, I suggest Spring/Klein along Hwy 249. For commuting purposes you would take 249 to Beltway 8 loop in whatever direction work takes you.

290 (Cypress) is unbearable.
I-10 West would be ok, except Katy can be an hour away from downtown in rush hour. And your budget can’t afford much closer in to town.
I-45 has the same issues as I-10. Closer in along 45 is questionable. And while The Woodlands is nice, it is hella far from downtown/galleria if your jobs end up there.

249 is a lesser traveled roadway in pretty decent condition. Lots of pretty suburban homes in the trees.

Last edited by descovy; 07-18-2018 at 11:19 AM..

Old 07-18-2018, 10:50 AM

348 posts, read 460,341 times
I'm between 249 and 290 in Cypress, close to Tomball. Like descovy said, there are many nice areas close to 249 on either the Klein or Tomball (or Houston) sides. I'm told 290 is only getting better though, but I don't commute right now.

Olde Oaks is probably fine for you (since schools don't matter?).

Old 07-18-2018, 10:56 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Since the OP has clarified, it would be better to recommend the most extreme blue areas, like along the lines of Montrose. You know what I'm sayin' (wink wink). Although many areas might work, there's no need to make life overly difficult. Or, consider other cities in an Austin-ish vein. Coming from CA, TX might not even be the best choice. Be open to other states too. You might be exchanging a CA misery for a very different line of TX misery.

It's not good to say "moving to ______ (wherever)" without visiting first and truly understanding (up close and personal) what the potential area is like; a reality check. Check first, research, and then say "moving to".

Old 07-18-2018, 11:45 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Since the OP has clarified, it would be better to recommend the most extreme blue areas, like along the lines of Montrose. You know what I'm sayin' (wink wink). Although many areas might work, there's no need to make life overly difficult. Or, consider other cities in an Austin-ish vein. Coming from CA, TX might not even be the best choice. Be open to other states too. You might be exchanging a CA misery for a very different line of TX misery.

It's not good to say "moving to ______ (wherever)" without visiting first and truly understanding (up close and personal) what the potential area is like; a reality check. Check first, research, and then say "moving to".
OP, let me clarify for you since there's clearly some gaslighting going on. You may live anywhere you would like to live. Two gay men living anywhere in the Houston metro isn't out of the ordinary. My cousin who lives in a very conservative area (The Woodlands) has gay neighbors that have been there a lot longer than he has and seem quite happy. Any neighborhood in Houston will have same-sex households. While there are some areas that are more obviously eclectic, gay-bashing isn't a thing in Houston, whether you're talking about the city and the suburbs, though some clearly would like it to be. There's nowhere I can think of in the metro that you should actively avoid. If you find a place you like, go for it, and be secure in the fact that your chances of having an issue due to your sexuality are extremely slim. No need to fear some of the small-mindedness being displayed in this forum (and it sounds like you have thick skin anyway, so you should be fine ).

Old 07-18-2018, 12:08 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
To get back to the original subject: I strongly suggest you rent before buying. If you buy in the Woodlands, for example, and you get offered a dream job in Clear Lake, that will be a horrible commute until you sell your house.
I would rent somewhere central until you decide.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:39 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times
How long of a commute are you comfortable with?

Old 07-18-2018, 12:43 PM

20 posts, read 23,973 times
Thanks to all for the input. We looked in to renting first but the downside is that most landlords in areas I'd like to rent in want a one year commitment. Short term rentals only seem to be available in the not so great inner city areas, based on what I have found.

Thoreau424, contrary to what most people believe, not all same sex gay couples are "blue"!

The good is that we plan to live with a family member in South, TX by Hobby before purchasing. this will afford us the time we need to check out many more areas suggested in the forum.

as for traffic, yes i would like to avoid it but i know it's not always possible. I currently live 25 miles outside of Los Angeles. My morning commute is a breeze but my afternoon commute is at least 1.5 hours a day. I also commute to three offices weekly from LA to the Orange County area an in between, meaning I am always on the road and very much used to the traffic rush hours.

thanks again!

Old 07-18-2018, 12:52 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times
So your only criteria are:
$220 budget
not in the city
established neighborhood/older homes
racially/culturally diverse neighborhood

Is that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston