U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 08:43 AM

955 posts, read 815,507 times

Advertisements

Suggest you ask where Ghost Town lives and strike that from your list.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 09:00 AM

2,623 posts, read 2,537,985 times
This isn't true across all communities, but as a very general rule, neighborhoods become less diverse, more homogeneous, and less tolerant the further you venture from Houston proper. However, financial means is usually the ultimate determinant in a neighborhood.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 AM

1,090 posts, read 953,333 times
Be sure to check into the flooding history of the area between 249 and 45. The area around Cypresswood drive got hit really bad during Harvey and flooded during the previous two major flood events Houston experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurMove View Post

We recently visited to look at homes in The Woodlands, Spring, Cypress, Klein and many other sub-division in North Houston. We like the subdivisions in the Houston/Spring area between 249 and hwy 45 and are looking for the style/type of home that exists in these communities. We're also looking at Katy, Richmond and Sugarland.

Marc

Old 07-18-2018, 09:06 AM

734 posts, read 464,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
This isn't true across all communities, but as a very general rule, neighborhoods become less diverse, more homogeneous, and less tolerant the further you venture from Houston proper. However, financial means is usually the ultimate determinant in a neighborhood.
The most intolerant, homogeneous neighborhoods are in Houston proper, and there are several of them.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 AM

1,245 posts, read 829,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Suggest you ask where Ghost Town lives and strike that from your list.
I live in a family community, there are lots of kids around and traditional families. I don't see anything wrong with this type of settings/lifestyle but if you are not into it, better remove from your list.

I see a lot of criticism against traditional views, but don't forget that I didn't say anything against other groups of people.

In order to stick to the original subject, I would say there are decent house options for 220K cash especially if schools are not very important. In this budget it is possible to buy a good house in a safe area, not fancy but pretty decent. Especially it is doable in Spring area. I would look only in the area west of I45 (fancier part of Spring).

Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
The most intolerant, homogeneous neighborhoods are in Houston proper, and there are several of them.
Agree. That's why I started my post with "This isn't true across all communities, but as a very general rule..."

Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 AM

17 posts, read 12,258 times
No offense to anyone, however I am sensing I won't offend anyone on this forum, I hope. If I do, sorry!!!! We are not looking to live in what is considered a gay community/neighborhood.

We are two men who want to purchase a home, in a quiet, preferably suburb area where neighbors won't be shocked or angered seeing two adult men living together. We respect others and would hope we can be respected.

We are accustomed to our neighborhood that is racially/culturally mixed, diverse and some friendly neighbors. We understand that all neighbors may not be neighborly or like the idea of two men moving in next door. Believe it or not, we faced this as well in some areas of Los Angeles where we currently live. It's a gamble. We've been in our community 10 years and there are many on our block we don't even know. It's just the way it is. We do not socialize much other then with our immediate family members and some long time friends and even then it's far and few visits. We like to work and enjoy our home and keep to ourselves. We enjoy home projects, yard project and i am a fanatic for keeping my trucks clean. I am known in our neighborhood as the OCD Detailing guy, LOL.

Well, we arrive to Houston in 3 weeks and will see how our home search continues. A home we placed an offer on in late June appears to be open again for offers.This was in Olde Oaks sub division which we really like the area. The home is exactly what we are looking for minus the pool but that's okay. We may pursue this home again and/or continue searching other areas.

Again, thanks.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM

17 posts, read 12,258 times
Ghost Town, thank you for your response.

Where we currently live now, is identical to what you described about your area, family oriented, many kids, good schools, charter schools, neighborly people.

I understand that schools help with the values of homes, this is a given. However we do not have kids and schools are not important us, but home value is.

in regards to traditional families, i am all for it, grew up in one and all my family are traditional families. I come from a huge part Catholic and Christian family with 9 siblings and am the youngest of the nine. All my older siblings are married, with kids and grandkids, and great grand kids, all with the traditional home/family values and problems, LOL!

But i digress and just hope we are able to plant our feet in a great neighborhood.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
No offense to anyone, however I am sensing I won't offend anyone on this forum, I hope. If I do, sorry!!!! We are not looking to live in what is considered a gay community/neighborhood.

We are two men who want to purchase a home, in a quiet, preferably suburb area where neighbors won't be shocked or angered seeing two adult men living together. We respect others and would hope we can be respected.

We are accustomed to our neighborhood that is racially/culturally mixed, diverse and some friendly neighbors. We understand that all neighbors may not be neighborly or like the idea of two men moving in next door. Believe it or not, we faced this as well in some areas of Los Angeles where we currently live. It's a gamble. We've been in our community 10 years and there are many on our block we don't even know. It's just the way it is. We do not socialize much other then with our immediate family members and some long time friends and even then it's far and few visits. We like to work and enjoy our home and keep to ourselves. We enjoy home projects, yard project and i am a fanatic for keeping my trucks clean. I am known in our neighborhood as the OCD Detailing guy, LOL.

Well, we arrive to Houston in 3 weeks and will see how our home search continues. A home we placed an offer on in late June appears to be open again for offers.This was in Olde Oaks sub division which we really like the area. The home is exactly what we are looking for minus the pool but that's okay. We may pursue this home again and/or continue searching other areas.

Again, thanks.
I think most folks on here would LOVE for neighbors to move in next door, keep a tidy yard, and live peacefully.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 AM

761 posts, read 356,238 times
Quote:

Again, thanks.
You'll be fine in Houston. Don't pay attention to the people here who just want to be contrarians and spout out nonsense about "traditional views" - the vast, VAST majority of people in Houston don't care who you are, who you sleep with, or what you do. And that sounds like exactly how you like it. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or