U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 09:46 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,887,983 times

Advertisements

Unclear whether this was a pre-planned murder or a robbery gone bad:
Quote:
HOUSTON – A cardiologist who treated former President George H.W. Bush was shot and killed Friday morning while riding a bike in the Texas Medical Center.

Houston Methodist Hospital identified the doctor as Mark Hausknecht, 65, a cardiologist who was a member of the Houston Methodist staff and the DeBakey Heart and Vascular Center. He specialized in cardiovascular disease and had been in practice for almost four decades.

Hausknecht was shot by another man on a bike around 9 a.m. Friday near Texas Children’s Hospital.

“The suspect was on a bicycle as well. Rode past the doctor, turned and fired two shots. The doctor immediately went down,” Houston Police Executive Assistant Chief Troy Finner said.

Hausknecht flagged down a passing ambulance for help as the shooter fled the scene. The doctor was taken to Ben Taub Hospital, where he later died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 10:06 PM

1,024 posts, read 346,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Unclear whether this was a pre-planned murder or a robbery gone bad:
Apparently, the brother knew something very sinister about the Bushes.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:11 AM

1,245 posts, read 828,257 times
How come the prominent doctor was taken to the crappiest hospital?

Old 07-21-2018, 06:24 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Likely because Ben Taub is the Level I Trauma Center (along with Hermann) and deals with the most GSW's.

Sadly, it's unusual for Physicians, Nurses and other caregivers to get threatened by patients and/or patient's families. My husband is a physician and it's happened to him. There was a Urologist shot and killed in New Orleans a couple of years ago by a former patient. I believe there was also a similar situation in NYC with a Cardiovascular or Neurosurgeon.

People are dealing with tense situations and emotions can run high. Often, mental health issues are involved and the perpetrators get very angry at the doctor for any poor outcome (real or perceived).

Or, as mentioned in the OP, this could also simply be a case of a robbery gone bad or a random incident. An article I read this morning said the shooter was following on his bike for a few blocks, which seems a bit suspicious.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-21-2018 at 07:01 AM..

Old 07-21-2018, 07:54 AM

8,626 posts, read 16,243,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Because if you get a gunshot or life threatening auto accident — Ben Taub is where you want to go. This was a very gifted physician. Huge loss to the medical community and the city of Houston. Condolences to his family, friends, coworkers and patients.

Last edited by texas7; 07-21-2018 at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-21-2018, 11:24 AM

201 posts, read 131,640 times
Guy lived in my old neighborhood. Two blocks over. I rode my bike along that same path 100's of times. So glad to be out of the cesspool that is Houston! Condolences to family, and RIP good doctor!

Old 07-21-2018, 05:50 PM

2,262 posts, read 5,654,816 times
So sad and unfortunate, no matter the circumstances.

If I have a kid - I would want to go to Texas childrens
If I had cardiac issues - I would want to go to St. Lukes
For Trauma/car accident/gun shot wound - I would to go to Ben Taub
For illness requiring a hospital - I would want to go to Methodist

I was threatened a few times as a NICU nurse at TCH by parents. Parents and Families can definitely be both verbally and physically abusive even with medical staff. One mother threatened to kill me over the phone - it was scary and real enough that the charge nurses had an HPD officer with me the remainder of my shift!

Old 07-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 9 days ago)

4,645 posts, read 4,482,129 times

Sketch released of suspect wanted for killing Dr. Mark Hausknecht | abc13.com

Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,887,983 times
The widow's statement, from the article:
Quote:
After spending his adult life saving and prolonging the lives of others, my talented husband, Dr. Mark Hausknecht, had his life prematurely ended.

"Senseless" has become a trite adjective to describe these tragedies, but what IS senseless is the misguided notion that any society with more guns is a safer society. When students cannot go to school without fear, and teachers need to arm themselves, what has this country come to?? As a trained emergency medicine physician, I am no stranger to the devastating consequences of both intentional and accidental firearm use. Now my family and I have joined the ranks of the tens of thousands of other grieving Americans who lose innocent loved ones each year.
So many have asked what can be done to help. While law enforcement has given you their focus on finding the criminal, I am asking you to use your vote and your voice to stem the tide of this growing public health epidemic. Write, email or tweet your Congressional Representative urging sensible gun laws. We owe it to future generations to leave a safer environment. See links below:

Our family would like to thank law enforcement, the medical community, and so many colleagues, patients, friends and neighbors who have reached out to support us during this difficult time. Mark loved this city. To honor him--work hard, be responsible, patient, tolerant and compassionate.
I completely agree with her. We need sensible gun laws. Anyone who commits murder with a gun should, after arrest, be subjected to an expedited trial and appeals process whereby arrest to execution or acquittal takes no more than 3 years. The B&E's, shoplifting cases, other violent crimes and even non-gun murders can wait. Gun-related murder cases should go to the head of the line.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:09 AM

1,130 posts, read 517,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
The widow's statement, from the article:I completely agree with her. We need sensible gun laws. Anyone who commits murder with a gun should, after arrest, be subjected to an expedited trial and appeals process whereby arrest to execution or acquittal takes no more than 3 years. The B&E's, shoplifting cases, other violent crimes and even non-gun murders can wait. Gun-related murder cases should go to the head of the line.
We have sensible gun laws already. Trials and convictions occur well within 3 years for the vast majority of cases. Executions take longer, because there is a need to make sure the person is actually guilty before killing them. Execution should be reserved for the most heinous murders - this incident is not one of those cases. There is no evidence that the death penalty is a deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or