Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,590 times

Advertisements

Relo family here. We recently moved from Dallas, where our children were in private school. The academics and sports were top notch and there were many Asian/Black/Latino families as well. I would say 40% white, 20% black, 20 % Latino, and 20% everyone else. Searching for this in Houston has proven difficult. We like Corpus Christi but don't know anyone whose been. All our friends kids go to SJS or ROBS or AOS, which are all lily white and uber expensive. Anyone got the scoop on CCCS or any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 09:37 AM

86 posts, read 129,080 times
The only Corpus Christi school I am aware of is in the Willow Meadows area, and I'll admit to not knowing much about it. I do it is a smaller school and I think it ends in 8th grade, but beyond that I'm not too familiar with their programing.

Based upon your post and the options you've listed, it sounds like you are searching for an elementary or middle school. I definitely recommend checking out Niche. You can search by factors such as "Most Diverse," Size and by school type.

If you have not yet visited Houstonprivateschools.org, I would definitely recommend doing so. Most Houston schools belong to that organization. They have a website that also lets you consider Student Body, Type, Grades and Location.

The other recommendation I might have -you mention having checked with friends on where their children attend -how about neighbors? Where do they send their children? Our area has a lot of those school yard signs that give a sense of where students attend.

If you're just relocating, I imagine it may be tough to find a school that will be the best fit, but it's not impossible. There are schools that make exceptions for families relocating or that may have rolling admissions. If you're interested in Corpus Christi I definitely recommend checking it out -talk to the Admissions Director and ask where most students are coming from. Also, if it's not a fit for your family, ask the Admissions Director for suggestions -they usually know other Houston schools fairly well. They'll at least know which programs lead into others.

I wish you best of luck in your search and hope you'll keep us updated in case others are looking for similar schools.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:14 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,247,087 times
You might consider AWTY or the British International school. Strake Jesuit and St. Agnes are fairly diverse.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:39 PM

123 posts, read 98,771 times
What private school did your children attend in Dallas?

Old 07-23-2018, 04:16 PM

509 posts, read 724,573 times
Funny how another poster got his thread locked because he didn't want a neighborhood that was too Asian, but its perfectly fine to look for a school that isn't too white. I'm surprised the OP isn't gleefully sending their children to HISD schools. Very easy to avoid evil whitey there.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:29 PM

940 posts, read 1,892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
Funny how another poster got his thread locked because he didn't want a neighborhood that was too Asian, but its perfectly fine to look for a school that isn't too white. I'm surprised the OP isn't gleefully sending their children to HISD schools. Very easy to avoid evil whitey there.
Yes you sure don't want to go to a school with lots of "lily white" kids now right - that would be disgusting. And you sure don't want to get on someone for saying that right? Because it's too well known that too many "white" people can ruin things, like a church, an art class, an industrial economy or a civilization.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,960,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiB82 View Post
Relo family here. We recently moved from Dallas, where our children were in private school. The academics and sports were top notch and there were many Asian/Black/Latino families as well. I would say 40% white, 20% black, 20 % Latino, and 20% everyone else. Searching for this in Houston has proven difficult. We like Corpus Christi but don't know anyone whose been. All our friends kids go to SJS or ROBS or AOS, which are all lily white and uber expensive. Anyone got the scoop on CCCS or any other suggestions?

What kind of private school was this and what part of Dallas? I'm very curious because truth me told, down here, minorities such as black and Hispanic don't go to "private" schools unless it's a free magnet.

That's just the truth. White, and Asians both south and east (Paki, Indian, etc.) in this city with the medical field and energy tend to have the $$$$$ to send their children to a pricy private school.

The diverse exceptions are dad is white and has the $$$$$ and mom is the minority but I don't know what people classify their child as. I know people who have mixed children and go based on what their child looks like and will be percieved as (a few) or whatever dad is (which is usually white) regardless of what minority they're mixed based of stigma and last name (my friends with very Hispanic looking children with a non-Hispanic last name like Anderson are considered white children and that's the box that's checked).

Here those numbers are more 2% not 20% of any minority especially black and Hispanic.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:13 PM

150 posts, read 216,104 times
Check out the Grace School near the beltway and westheimer, as well as the Royal Oaks neighborhood. Great diverse families, including a few pro athletes.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:59 PM

9 posts, read 12,198 times
You didn't say what ages your kids were. Pius X is a high school with a good athletics program and more diversity.

All sarcasm aside, I am curious as to why you wouldn't consider some of HISDs magnet programs if diversity and sports are your main focus.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:44 PM

509 posts, read 549,592 times
lol, Good luck Houston is pretty segregated.
There are schools like you describe in some of the suburbs; Spring, Cypress, Pearland, Woodlands and Humble are areas I'm most familiar with because we looked for homes/ school in all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston