U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 03:37 AM

28 posts, read 4,955 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm placing this in the Houston forum area because we're looking to move to Houston coming from the North where there are a lot more unions. My husband is currently at a job that is union protected and, while I know outside of the North unions aren't as popular, I wanted to see if we've covered our bases. Sidenote: My family is from Texas and I LOVE it there and LOVE the people in Texas every time we go. Very excited about this and couldn't get out of the north and away from the Yankee mentality and "way of life" fast enough.

I'm assuming all government and city jobs would fall under this. Can anyone else provide me with a list of names of companies in the Houston (or Texas) area that are part of a union with a pension possibly? (Particularly in the utilities sector or any company that employs higher level "blue collar" professionals-- he makes ). My partner has strong experience as an LNG Mechanic (liquified natural gas) which is pretty specialized, but also has an environmental background along with extensive demolition experience (and a Bachelor's Degree) so while he loves his specific position he was even open to something in the firefighting and/or city planning in the past.

Can you please tell me which places offer unionized jobs based on this? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 04:46 AM

9,505 posts, read 19,511,098 times
I'm not aware of any type of list that shows employers who have union representation. Unions represent less than 5% of employees in Texas, and a large share of those are in the police, fire, and government employee unions. Most employers in Texas are very proactive about keeping their workplace Union-free, and most employees here are perfectly happy to not have to pay union dues or abide by a labor contract. Keep in mind, too, that many union pensions are very underfunded and on the brink of insolvency (Ex: Teamsters) so making an employment decision based on what a union says they are offering may be very short-sighted.

Texas isn't the northeast in many regards, and this is one of them.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:36 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,537,985 times
Honestly, I've never heard of any union jobs outside of first responders.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:58 AM

1,856 posts, read 817,758 times
I've literally never met anyone (Who isn't a cop) who is a Union in Texas.

Basing employment based on if it's Unionized or not would be a terrible decision in Texas and really limit your options.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:44 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,734,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan333 View Post
Hello,

I'm placing this in the Houston forum area because we're looking to move to Houston coming from the North where there are a lot more unions. My husband is currently at a job that is union protected and, while I know outside of the North unions aren't as popular, I wanted to see if we've covered our bases. Sidenote: My family is from Texas and I LOVE it there and LOVE the people in Texas every time we go. Very excited about this and couldn't get out of the north and away from the Yankee mentality and "way of life" fast enough.

Why does your husband feel the need to belong to a union? Unions only protect the people who don't want to work. When I lived in Indiana in the early 1970's I worked in a couple of factories that had unions. Back then, the law was if there was a union at the company, after 90 days of employment, the worker was forced to join. I hated that, because I knew the union was not going to help me. They would deduct the money from my check each month before I even had a chance to see it, the same way the government deducts taxes from a paycheck.

All they did was take my money each month. Never once did a union ever help me. The only ones they helped were the ones who missed so much work the company was ready to fire them and the unions would help the guys that screw up royally and caused scrap. When I was working in a slaughter house in Muncie back in the early 1970's one of the guys got caught stealing a ham around Christmas time and the company fired the guy until the union members threatened to strike and the company caved and gave the man his job back, along with the pay he missed while was "fired".

It seemed to me if a person is a good worker and shows up for work each day, gets along with everybody, he won't need a union to defend him. By the time the union dues are deducted, the pay is about the same as a non union company.

It was my experience the factories in Houston and the wafer fabs in Austin treat the workers alot better than what they did in Indiana. Plus the companies out here would do things for the blue collar employees the union companies didn't do, so it all balances out in the end.

There were unions in Houston at some of the off shore oil well drilling equipment factories but less than half of the workers chose to belong to a union so if the workers did strike, there were so many more workers who didnt strike so the unions don't have the power in Texas that they did in Indiana. I think Indiana is a right to work state now, so the unions there don't have the same power they once did.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 07-25-2018 at 06:56 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 11:16 AM

10,013 posts, read 4,148,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Why does your husband feel the need to belong to a union? Unions only protect the people who don't want to work.
This is spot on! Many people who grew up in a Union state have some sort of deep indoctrination that if you don't work at a Union protected job you are going to be treated bad by the employer and underpaid!

I have not had any opinions about Unions due to the fact I grew up working in Houston.

After moving to CA which is a Union state where politics is heavly influenced by Unions...I have often observed what types of people Unions protect.

Unions protect the laziest and most incompetent people who milk their Union enabling poor work performance behaviors. I have seen this over and over during the past 8 years here.

Unions are corrupt money sucking parasites who largely protect deadbeat incompetent blue collar workers. I can't imagine why any business would buy into a Union contract.

My opinion of Unions has been drastically changed since moving to a Union controlled state. It's not a pretty picture.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:24 PM

411 posts, read 265,747 times
Most of the refinery workers are covered by Unions....branches of the United Steel Workers

https://www.usw.org/news/publication...orker-issue-36

USW LOCAL 13-1

Old 07-25-2018, 12:32 PM

188 posts, read 114,922 times
Are you saying unions are pro-Trump?

Old 07-25-2018, 01:45 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,230,257 times
I hardly can blame the OP for wanting to find/replace union wages and security. Unfortunately, most have become so anti-competitive with members having a "get mine at all costs" mentality, that they kill companies and communities. I still believe there is a place for organized representation of workers, but today's unions have lost their way.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:22 PM

8,124 posts, read 5,699,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan333 View Post
Very excited about this and couldn't get out of the north and away from the Yankee mentality and "way of life" fast enough.

I'm assuming all government and city jobs would fall under this.
In my mind, there are few things more consistent with the Yankee mentality and way of life than union membership.

Most city jobs are absolutely NOT unionized. The only ones that typically might be are PD and fire, and even then the majority of cities aren't unionized or civil service. It's really only the bigger cities that are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston