U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:23 PM

12,376 posts, read 6,869,163 times

Advertisements

The City of Houston missed out on a huge opportunity for improvement and growth when it elected this corrupt idiot to office instead of Bill King.

https://empowertexans.com/around-tex...llot-petition/

Quote:
Last week, frustrated by the constant delay, a group of council members called a special meeting to address why the mayor still hasn’t brought the Houston firefighters’ pay parity petition to council for a vote. After that became news, Turner claimed he was already planning a committee hearing on the exact topic. The council-called meeting failed to muster a quorum and after, Turner issued a statement saying, “The public has a right [to know] the facts about the referendum before it votes. Council members should not want to hide the facts from them.”

Turner’s attempt at cajoling the public into believing it is council who is standing in the way of the truth, rather than him, is laughable. In an effort to further delay, he has used his political knack to seamlessly mesh two very distinct issues, the first being the petition process and the second being the actual question of pay parity.
Mayor Turner (D) has screwed over Houston's Police and FireFighters every chance he's gotten, it's no wonder people are fed up with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 12:32 PM

464 posts, read 131,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The City of Houston missed out on a huge opportunity for improvement and growth when it elected this corrupt idiot to office instead of Bill King.

https://empowertexans.com/around-tex...llot-petition/

Mayor Turner (D) has screwed over Houston's Police and FireFighters every chance he's gotten, it's no wonder people are fed up with him.
Oh boy! A link from a right wing website. How I thank you for posting that.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Oh boy! A link from a right wing website. How I thank you for posting that.
How about ABC13's story about Sylvester Turner's old press secretary that he tried covering up for?

Darian Ward, ex-press secretary for Houston mayor, indicted over withheld emails | abc13.com

Is that also a right wing website?

Old 07-26-2018, 12:40 PM

How about ABC 13 talking about the FireFighter pay petition that he's been stonewalling for while now?

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner scolds council over firefighter's pay petition | abc13.com

Too right wing for you?

Old 07-26-2018, 01:17 PM

14 posts, read 5,373 times
Firefighters union is trying to make Mayor Turner the issue when the real issue is that City offered Firefighters a 9.5% over 3yrs. That means a 1st yr firefighter who makes $43K would have $4,000 raise. Fire wants a 20-25% raise or about $11,000 for that same 1st yr firefighter. The latter seem excessive to me. The Houston Police Union is oppose to pay parity with fire for many reasons, but mainly because they don't do the same job. HFD should be looking to other fire dept. in other cities for pay comparison.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlot View Post
Firefighters union is trying to make Mayor Turner the issue when the real issue is that City offered Firefighters a 9.5% over 3yrs. That means a 1st yr firefighter who makes $43K would have $4,000 raise. Fire wants a 20-25% raise or about $11,000 for that same 1st yr firefighter. The latter seem excessive to me. The Houston Police Union is oppose to pay parity with fire for many reasons, but mainly because they don't do the same job. HFD should be looking to other fire dept. in other cities for pay comparison.
Right now the Houston FireFighters are making about $15K a year less than a Houston Police Officer.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,195,255 times
Quote:
Right now the Houston FireFighters are making about $15K a year less than a Houston Police Officer.
As well they should. Jobs are different, opportunities for part-time work are different, pensions are different.

The pay is fairly set as it is NOW. And I have a feeling if it goes to a vote, it will be soundly defeated.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,195,255 times
Quote:
Two points. One, every time you post (D) after Turner, you are politicizing your post. Instead of a rational discussion, you make it a political discussion.

Second, don't you find it odd, that a (D), a supposed friend of the city unions, has "screwed over" the police/fire? Do you think it's possible he's doing the right thing for HOUSTON, regardless of how the chips may fall?

I'll throw in a third point at no charge: People aren't fed up. He's actually done a pretty good job, all things considered. I voted for Bill King, but have come to admire how the Mayor has tackled our never-ending problems. But you hated him from the start (I've seen your older posts; you seem to have an almost vitriolic dislike of him), so no matter what he does, he's terrible.

I'm one of those people who did not like Sylvester Turner before, but now respect the job he does. It's called being impartial, something many right-wing advocates seem unable to do.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 PM

464 posts, read 131,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Two points. One, every time you post (D) after Turner, you are politicizing your post. Instead of a rational discussion, you make it a political discussion.

Second, don't you find it odd, that a (D), a supposed friend of the city unions, has "screwed over" the police/fire? Do you think it's possible he's doing the right thing for HOUSTON, regardless of how the chips may fall?

I'll throw in a third point at no charge: People aren't fed up. He's actually done a pretty good job, all things considered. I voted for Bill King, but have come to admire how the Mayor has tackled our never-ending problems. But you hated him from the start (I've seen your older posts; you seem to have an almost vitriolic dislike of him), so no matter what he does, he's terrible.

I'm one of those people who did not like Sylvester Turner before, but now respect the job he does. It's called being impartial, something many right-wing advocates seem unable to do.
Seriously. As soon as I saw the "(D)" he kept putting next to Turners name, I knew I could discount his opinions. Id do the same thing if he put "(R)" there.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:26 PM

1,130 posts, read 517,082 times
Quote:
So what? HFD doesn't have any problems getting candidates for fire cadet classes, so the pay must be OK.

The firefighters need to be careful what they ask for. If their pay goes up, I want one third of them gone the next day, and all shifts converted to 8 hours instead of 2 24 hour shifts a week. That will prevent the firefighters from working those lucrative side jobs that nearly all of them have.

The City can't afford to pay firefighters more. The revenue cap prevents raising taxes, and there's not anything to cut to cover the estimated $80 million cost of the proposal. Police and fire costs are currently higher than all the property tax collected by the City, and nearly 60% of the budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or