U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 10:42 PM

33,634 posts, read 51,854,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Let me ask this. Is it more expensive to heat a home in a Chicago winter or cool a home in a Houston summer? Let's compare January in Chicago to July in Houston utility bills (gas + electric) for a similar square foot home.
I am pretty sure that heating is cheaper - gas is cheaper. Electricity is expensive everywhere. Also it's easier to put on a sweater when is cool, but what to do when you're in your birth suit and still sweating??
And you have cheap heating options - like a fireplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 10:45 PM

Here are world climate twins:
Tropical Texana: WORLD CLIMATE TWINS TO HOUSTON, TEXAS
- many places in the world. People live there - some hate it, some enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I’m a native Texan and have lived in Houston since 2001. I have yet to get used to the humidity here. I grew up outside of San Antonio,then moved to Fort Worth in middle school, went to college in Austin. Love the hill country weather the best...for Texas.

But I hate hot summers in general and try to take long summer breaks up north.
I am native to a cold country, and I suffer here. Going to live there during Summer and come back when it gets cooler here.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:59 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,789,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
You answered your own question, heat and humidity. The longer you live in Houston, I think you become used to the oppressive heat & humidity. It doesn't mean you like it because I don't, nor do likeminded folks, but you learn to adjust your routine accordingly. Houston's peak heat times are between 12pm-4pm. The good thing is that Galveston is not far away so you can take a day trip to cool off on the beach there.

Eww and get some kind of bacterial infection in that soup? Pass!

If you can't get into a chlorine filled pool, Galveston is disgusting. I wouldn't even let my dog splash around in that nastiness.

The Houston heat is no joke. My dog scratches to go outside then walks out then looks back at me ready to come back in. He knows.

Work keeps me here and family BUT I'd move in a heartbeat given the opportunity. I'd rather have snow. You can warm up easily. Cooling down though? Nope. My AC went out a few weeks ago. Worse day ever. I was literally sitting, buck naked with 3 fans on me and waving a fan like an old lady in church and I still couldn't cool down. I'm hot natured anyway so I get hot really fast and the heat makes me irritable.

I'll take freezing and wrapping up and layering clothes any day of the year.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:25 AM

429 posts, read 482,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

If you can't get into a chlorine filled pool, Galveston is disgusting. I wouldn't even let my dog splash around in that nastiness.

The Houston heat is no joke. My dog scratches to go outside then walks out then looks back at me ready to come back in. He knows.

Work keeps me here and family BUT I'd move in a heartbeat given the opportunity. I'd rather have snow. You can warm up easily. Cooling down though? Nope. My AC went out a few weeks ago. Worse day ever. I was literally sitting, buck naked with 3 fans on me and waving a fan like an old lady in church and I still couldn't cool down. I'm hot natured anyway so I get hot really fast and the heat makes me irritable.

LOLI didn't say I'd get in there, there's no telling what's in that water. You aren't lying about irritability because I get agitated with this heat & humidity as well. Make you put your mad face on all day.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:

It helps to check the map:
https://cgis.glo.texas.gov/Beachwatch/

Old 07-30-2018, 06:56 PM

8,141 posts, read 5,709,159 times
The land around Houston is mostly ugly and the weather is god-awful about 6 months out of the year. But there are jobs.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:40 AM

9,299 posts, read 8,424,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am pretty sure that heating is cheaper - gas is cheaper. Electricity is expensive everywhere. Also it's easier to put on a sweater when is cool, but what to do when you're in your birth suit and still sweating??
And you have cheap heating options - like a fireplace.
When I lived in KC my gas bill was once $400 but my utility bill has yet to exceed $280 in Austin so I don't think you're correct.

Most of the time my gas bill was like $200-$250 in KC so very similar to Texas. Also I had a smaller house there than in Austin.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 AM

9,299 posts, read 8,424,200 times
Quote:

Well there are 3 interstate highways (I-10, I-45, and I-69) and they lead to cooler and/or drier places and you can always get on them and take a trip or leave!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:09 AM

7,870 posts, read 10,370,432 times
As someone who grew up in the cold, I'll take Houston's heat over a Canadian winter. My biggest mantra when it's hot and gross:

You don't have to shovel heat.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:19 AM

41,051 posts, read 32,742,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Jobs
Then it's a trade off. It's not like you can change the weather of a place just because the job is there and you want to live there.

Pick your poison - most places in this country don't have mild winters AND mild summers. Most places have some sort of negative regarding the weather. If you move somewhere, adapt or leave is how I see it. Griping about it as if it's some sort of moral issue doesn't change the weather one iota.

Not to say one can't gripe about it - it's a hot (pardon the pun) topic during Texas summers! Is it hot? Heck yes. Is it likely to stay hot through September? Heck yes. Do most people get tired of it? Heck yes.

But for those of us who choose to embrace Texas as a whole, the inconvenience is acceptable. The thing is, for me anyway, it beats the heck out of shoveling snow in March or April. And don't even get me started on those nasty little piles of snow that hang around for months, or the damage that salt does to one's car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or