U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 04:05 PM

772 posts, read 361,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
good one - the weather is terrible and is the main reason we moved to idaho

lived in houston from 1973 to 2011 and couldn't stand being outside between april and october

htown is a great place to make bank, save and move somewhere nice - that's what we did
Some people are hot weather types. Other are cold weather types. You're clearly the latter. I can tell you with utmost certainty that I would hate an Idaho winter far more than a Houston summer.

And this doesn't apply to you, but even a lot of people that hate actual winters, with snow and cold snaps and such, cant bring themselves to admit how nice the weather generally is 6-7 months of the year here. Houston summers are indeed rough for most. But outside of three or so somewhat hellish months? Its great. Sometimes you'll get clouds and rain, but I love rain so long as it doesnt linger for weeks Seattle-style and its not cold.

To be fair, when I lived in DC, most people would spend as much time away from DC in the summer because it was too hot for them. I loved being there in the summer- I mostly vacationed in the winter to maximize my time away from the cold. But summer there was as close to perfect as any place in the country outside of coastal SoCal could be in my opinion. Some people really cant deal well with temps higher than the 70s and are totally OK with sub-freezing temps, and thats fine. But it doesn't mean that climate is everyone's cup of tea.

All about what you make it but the idea that Houston weather is objectively horrible is stupid. Depends on what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 04:56 PM

195 posts, read 113,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

All about what you make it but the idea that Houston weather is objectively horrible is stupid. Depends on what you like.

when you get out of your car and your glasses fog up from the humidity, it's objectively horrible

when you go through 10 golf gloves during a round, it's objectively horrible

when you get ear infections year round due to the humidity, it's objectively horrible

I'm not sure where there would be worse weather - India maybe?

how did anyone live in htown before air conditioning?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:33 PM
kwr

91 posts, read 297,128 times
I agree with Mr. Cluth. You couldn’t pay me enough to live in Idaho. It’s all about perspective. Glad you love Idaho. I relocated from Boston to Houston. I’ll take 100 degree temps everyday instead of 3’ of snow in a single snowfall and the associated cold temp.

In fact, I wouldn’t miss seeing snow for the rest of my life.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:46 PM

3,268 posts, read 6,293,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
good one - the weather is terrible and is the main reason we moved to idaho

lived in houston from 1973 to 2011 and couldn't stand being outside between april and october

htown is a great place to make bank, save and move somewhere nice - that's what we did
I have a friend in the Boise area. They just had at least week of 100+ highs, and there were more days like that. Plus the winter is on another level. Although I will have to concede the Fall weather to Idaho by far.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I have a friend in the Boise area. They just had at least week of 100+ highs, and there were more days like that. Plus the winter is on another level. Although I will have to concede the Fall weather to Idaho by far.
even when it's 100F here, the humidity is so low you can still go out and walk 18 holes easily - in fact, last night after work I played 9 holes wearing pants

everyone that visits from houston in the summer wants to move here, seriously

in houston, when the dew point gets over 72F it's almost impossible to golf comfortably

Old 08-01-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
I agree with Mr. Cluth. You couldnít pay me enough to live in Idaho. Itís all about perspective. Glad you love Idaho. I relocated from Boston to Houston. Iíll take 100 degree temps everyday instead of 3í of snow in a single snowfall and the associated cold temp.

In fact, I wouldnít miss seeing snow for the rest of my life.
we don't get much snow here - boston is a whole different ball game, the winters are brutal there, here not so much

Old 08-02-2018, 04:28 PM

1,108 posts, read 853,932 times
The (summer) weather in Houston is unpleasant for the same reason as for most other low-latitude, low-elevation places on our planet. Apparently, many people haven't traveled enough or had enough education to realize how climates are across our planet.

I admit, I don't really care for our summer weather here, especially since now that I'm retired, I have the time to (and want to) spend more time outdoors. The worst aspect is that we have many sequential days of hot, humid weather without a break. However, there are times I've returned to Houston in August or September from places like D.C., Charleston S.C., or Phoenix and was relieved to be back. Even Dallas and Austin can be hellish, even tho' they are slightly less humid, but also hotter. And, not to mention places like coastal Mexico or even Hong Kong and other places in SE Asia/Pacific that have little AC.

So ... I don't mind if people dislike the (summer) climate here ... I often don't care for it, either. However, it's not unique on this planet, so please quit whining about how this is the one and only place that ever has uncomfortable weather. If one feels that way, just move. (I might do that myself, but I am just annoyed with the whining.)

Old 08-02-2018, 05:48 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,976,486 times
DC hot is tolerable in the summer.

I'll take a Houston winter any day over a winter on the East Coast.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 PM

8,151 posts, read 5,720,086 times
The worst part of the Houston summer for me isn't so much the heat and humidity during the day, it's that it doesn't cool off below 70 for about 3 months out of the year. It gets dark and then the air turns into nasty humidity soup.

It makes a HUGE difference in the summer when the nights are cool.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 AM

172 posts, read 104,354 times
Personally I'll take Houston's humidity over dry air. Dry places leave me looking like a mummy, all desiccated and crumbly. Also, my nose tends to bleed. Here my skin remains suple and young looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or