U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 315 times

Advertisements

My wife, three year old daughter, and I moved to Houston about a year ago. We are love with our new city! Currently we are renting an apartment inside the loop, but we hope to purchase a home soon. Although I know we will not be able to afford anything in the area we're currently in, we still want to stay as close to the core of Houston as possible. What is your impression of west Houston, specifically immediately west of the beltway and north of the Katy Freeway? We found several "vertical living" neighborhoods in that area. For example, Upland Reserve and Upland Lakes. Specifically, I would like to know your opinions on the following:

1-Do you feel it's safe and an area a child can be raised in easily?
2-How are the schools? Sherwood Elementary, Spring Forest Middle, and Stratford High
3-Easily accessible to grocery stores?
4-Although I know that specific area did not flood during Harvey, have you had bad experiences with flooding in that area before Harvey?

Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 10:23 AM

2,274 posts, read 5,742,709 times
What’s your budget?

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

31 posts, read 15,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafydude View Post
My wife, three year old daughter, and I moved to Houston about a year ago. We are love with our new city! Currently we are renting an apartment inside the loop, but we hope to purchase a home soon. Although I know we will not be able to afford anything in the area we're currently in, we still want to stay as close to the core of Houston as possible. What is your impression of west Houston, specifically immediately west of the beltway and north of the Katy Freeway? We found several "vertical living" neighborhoods in that area. For example, Upland Reserve and Upland Lakes. Specifically, I would like to know your opinions on the following:

2-How are the schools? Sherwood Elementary, Spring Forest Middle, and Stratford High
4-Although I know that specific area did not flood during Harvey, have you had bad experiences with flooding in that area before Harvey?

Bumping this thread

Curious on Spring Forest Middle and Stratford High opinions.

We are looking in Nottingham West neighborhood and surrounding areas. Getting into Memorial Middle seems to generally get just outside of our budget

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

796 posts, read 480,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafydude View Post

1. It's not the safest or best area for raising kids. The area is more industrial or commercial than residential. Have you driven through it? There are basically no sidewalks in the area and I wouldn't walk on the side of these narrow roads myself, let along letting my kids do it. If you can afford Upland Reserve you can probably find something nicer in one of the suburbs.

2. They are all B+ to B- schools. Some people are fine with that, some aren't. The biggest turn off for some about the Elem and Middle schools is the demographics. Drive around the area behind these schools and you'll find a lot of lower end apartment buildings catering mostly to working class Hispanics. That's a deal breaker for many, but you might be fine with it given your budget and other concerns.

3. There is a nearby Walmart but it doesn't look that safe to visit at night. Other than that you need to drive a bit to go to the nicer supermarkets.

4. The area did not flood, but it is still too close to the reservoirs for my comfort.

If I were a single professional who want to buy a nice pad for socializing then this area might be fine, but I wouldn't want to raise a family here. I would go further west.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,799,495 times
The previous poster misread your post. Nottingham West was originally developed in the late 1960s - early 1970s, I believe, with OK but mostly unspectacular homes. In the last decade, builders (one in particular) have been buying the older homes and redeveloping the lots with more modern and expensive ones.

Some folks pooh-pooh the fact that the neighborhood is adjacent to moderate-income apartments and rental condos, but I'm not aware that it causes any issues. Some also criticize the middle school (and Stratford HS as well) for being too income-diverse, but I'm not convinced that affluent professionals should be discouraged from sending their kids there.

Otherwise, it's a pretty good/great location, convenient to the Energy Corridor, CityCenter/Memorial City, and Westchase. Just so you know, entering the Katy Freeway eastbound from there is a little harrowing during certain times of day if you're not trying to get on the Beltway. I think the neighborhood gets to use the recreation club at the Kirkwood/Memorial intersection?

Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The previous poster misread your post. Nottingham West was originally developed in the late 1960s - early 1970s, I believe, with OK but mostly unspectacular homes. In the last decade, builders (one in particular) have been buying the older homes and redeveloping the lots with more modern and expensive ones.

Some folks pooh-pooh the fact that the neighborhood is adjacent to moderate-income apartments and rental condos, but I'm not aware that it causes any issues. Some also criticize the middle school (and Stratford HS as well) for being too income-diverse, but I'm not convinced that affluent professionals should be discouraged from sending their kids there.

Otherwise, it's a pretty good/great location, convenient to the Energy Corridor, CityCenter/Memorial City, and Westchase. Just so you know, entering the Katy Freeway eastbound from there is a little harrowing during certain times of day if you're not trying to get on the Beltway. I think the neighborhood gets to use the recreation club at the Kirkwood/Memorial intersection?
The OP wanted to focus on areas NORTH of the I-10. I'm also not trying to persuade anyone not to send kids to these ES and MS but to inform the OP.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

21 posts, read 1,722 times
Quote:

All those area are south of 10

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,799,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
All those area are south of 10
The person who bumped the thread is looking at Nottingham West.

Old Today, 08:55 AM

4,583 posts, read 11,472,721 times
Have you looked at Cottage Grove in the loop? Should be able to afford there if you can afford that.

Old Today, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The person who bumped the thread is looking at Nottingham West.
Gotcha.

TylerJ1288, please ignore everything I wrote except about the schools. Another thing to keep in mind is whether you want to resell. If the ES/MS are trending downward then that would hurt your home values, while the premium you pay to get into Rummel Creek/Memorial Middle should be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or