U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:45 PM

58 posts, read 19,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Galleria Mall is where you go to impress a date. You better have at least $10K to blow because you won't find anything under $100 there. If it wasn't for the skating rink, the Galleria Mall would be just another mall. I only go there once a year, and each time I'm reminded why I don't go as often. Too crowded, overrated and pretentious.
I hate going into the Galleria area any time of year. But at Christmas....forget it. And guess where my wife always wants to go shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 03:44 PM

1,108 posts, read 851,260 times
I also live near the Galleria and I go there several times per month. More just to walk around in the AC, sometimes to eat or drink, and occasionally to shop at Macy's. There are quite a few fancy, expensive shops that generally don't seem to have a lot of buying customers ... I often wonder how they stay in business. I know that there are still a lot of wealthy Latin Americans who fly up to shop there, along with other folks. As far as other people, there are a lot of young local people of various descriptions who just enjoy walking through. I am old enough to remember when The Galleria opened and it seemed to be filled only with white kids from Memorial ... and now, it's much more diverse, which is fine with me. If one is into people-watching, it's a pretty good place for that.

For me, it's a nice amenity to have nearby, despite the traffic and the possibility of encountering crooks in the parking garages (which can happen anywhere, BTW). Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, of course, but sometimes I read comments about it that seem to be motivated more by sour grapes than anything else. One doesn't really need $10K to do some useful shopping there, unless one is into bling.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:29 PM

2,506 posts, read 4,893,517 times
Quote:
He's right. If you've lived in Houston for a while, you go to Galleria Mall a few times and then stop going because it gets old quick. That, and Galleria Mall is starting to attract a ghetto element.
Here we go...

Old 08-03-2018, 10:07 PM

1,245 posts, read 830,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliefland View Post
Funny how nobody has ever mentioned the parking lot criminals at Katy mills
I would love to hear some real stories.
Fortunately I have not encountered any problems at both Galleria and Katy Mills lots yet, but it's better to be prepared.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:17 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,134,037 times
So basketball American and ghetto are code words for Black people. Cool GOT IT!
Anywho, I don't really care to shop at malls anymore period no matter what city i'm in. However if i'm in the area and it's something I need usually Galleria might have it more so than other malls in the city. But i'm in and out of malls period less then 30 minutes. It's a cesspool for teenagers and young adults. I'm in my mid 30's now what I look like socializing randomly in the mall for?

Old 08-04-2018, 06:35 AM

8,626 posts, read 16,255,803 times
I’m guessing you must be fairly young, I don’t know anyone who be impressed if their date took them to the galleria mall. If a first date took me there, it would have been a one and done

Old 08-04-2018, 08:17 AM

428 posts, read 481,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I’m guessing you must be fairly young, I don’t know anyone who be impressed if their date took them to the galleria mall. If a first date took me there, it would have been a one and done
I'm 35, been going to Galleria Mall since I was a kid and it's not like it used to be. Galleria is overrated, period. If it shut down, Houston folks would go into depression.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:44 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,707,923 times
It used to be that one third of The Galleria sales came from international shoppers. That may be even higher now. It's not really a "local" mall, it's an international shopping destination, that also gets decent patronage from local residents.

All malls have a wide trade area that they have to draw from (unless they're in a super-dense residential environment like Hong Kong). It's part of their business model. So, why wouldn't they get all kinds of folks coming there? I am mystified why suburbanites have such an issue with that.

Also, all large-scale retail uses (Walmart, hello) attract crime, especially in parking lots and garages, but also inside the stores (shoplifting). Don't people know this? Why do people have such difficulty with normal Houston suburban life?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 AM

428 posts, read 481,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Here we go...
I'm sorry for raining on your Galleria Mall parade.You must get excited every time you step foot in that overpriced mall, like you haven't seen a mall before.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:53 AM

88 posts, read 160,227 times
Quote:
He's right. If you've lived in Houston for a while, you go to Galleria Mall a few times and then stop going because it gets old quick. That, and Galleria Mall is starting to attract a ghetto element.
It must be bad when the dude (or dudette) from Acres Homes says its ghetto (lol kidding).

But in all seriousness I am assuming ghetto is code word for young minorities. And why is that a big deal though? Most of those young adults walking around the mall are wearing expensive clothes (that they probably bought at the Galleria). Why is that a bad thing?

Honestly, I have never felt uncomfortable at the Galleria in all the years I have been. Yes it isn't as "prestigious" as it used to be (but all malls have become that way) when people dressed up and spent all day at the mall. The Galleria is still the nicest mall in the city (Memorial City and Baybrook are a nice second).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or