U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:21 AM

424 posts, read 480,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniepwils View Post
It must be bad when the dude (or dudette) from Acres Homes says its ghetto (lol kidding).

But in all seriousness I am assuming ghetto is code word for young minorities. And why is that a big deal though? Most of those young adults walking around the mall are wearing expensive clothes (that they probably bought at the Galleria). Why is that a bad thing?

Honestly, I have never felt uncomfortable at the Galleria in all the years I have been. Yes it isn't as "prestigious" as it used to be (but all malls have become that way) when people dressed up and spent all day at the mall. The Galleria is still the nicest mall in the city (Memorial City and Baybrook are a nice second).
When I say ghetto, I mean behavior. I'm from the hood (my screen name gives it away), so I know the mannerisms and behavior of young, inner city kids (I was one). I never said it was bad to wear expensive clothes, but how many of those young adults can afford Galleria Mall? Not many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 AM

758 posts, read 356,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
When I say ghetto, I mean behavior. I'm from the hood (my screen name gives it away), so I know the mannerisms and behavior of young, inner city kids (I was one). I never said it was bad to wear expensive clothes, but how many of those young adults can afford Galleria Mall? Not many.
Oh please, kids have been going to the Galleria since I was a kid (the 90s) and they still go there today. Not that big of a deal. Anyone and everyone goes there - kids primarily go there to do stuff like eat at the food court, hit the stores that appeal to them, and talk to people. Some have always been rowdy and rambunctious, and that will always be the case.

Doesn't make the mall "ghetto" in any way, shape or form. You act like we're talking about Sharpstown after Katrina or something.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:23 PM
bu2

8,969 posts, read 5,665,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliefland View Post
He does have a point, you know. If you have ever visited the Galleria in the 1980s and 1990s compare those times with now then you will understand what he is trying to say.
I think its gotten better since the 90s. Its slide was 80s to 90s.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:12 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,599,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Oh please, kids have been going to the Galleria since I was a kid (the 90s) and they still go there today. Not that big of a deal. Anyone and everyone goes there - kids primarily go there to do stuff like eat at the food court, hit the stores that appeal to them, and talk to people. Some have always been rowdy and rambunctious, and that will always be the case.

Doesn't make the mall "ghetto" in any way, shape or form. You act like we're talking about Sharpstown after Katrina or something.
Actually Sharpstown's decline/closure has ironically driven traffic to Memorial City and The Galleria, both being the closest alternatives. It's a short drive/bus ride for that neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think its gotten better since the 90s. Its slide was 80s to 90s.
In the '80s and '90s there was an exclusive, upscale/luxury cachet to the mall that made trips special. Ever since the expansion of the Galleria IV, the mall has downscaled to the middle class mainstream. Due to the mega size, the suburban malls might as well close down and make Galleria the equivalent to centralized Downtown shopping for the metro area.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,969,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually Sharpstown's decline/closure has ironically driven traffic to Memorial City and The Galleria, both being the closest alternatives. It's a short drive/bus ride for that neighborhood.
First Colony was the one that knocked Sharpstown down. That was the closest mall for everyone who lived in SW Houston South of Sharpstown. Memorial City was down for the count also until a renovation in 2000 as West Oaks was the premier mall on that end of town. Once MC came back, West Oaks started its slow and steady decline. Katy Mills had a little impact but it wasn't a true mall.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:53 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,705,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
First Colony was the one that knocked Sharpstown down. That was the closest mall for everyone who lived in SW Houston South of Sharpstown. Memorial City was down for the count also until a renovation in 2000 as West Oaks was the premier mall on that end of town. Once MC came back, West Oaks started its slow and steady decline. Katy Mills had a little impact but it wasn't a true mall.
Yes, First Colony really sped up Sharpstown's decline. Most importantly, because the more affluent shoppers on which Sharpstown depended had mostly moved to Fort Bend County, so First Colony was more convenient. Plus affluent Anglo and Asian shoppers are notoriously skittish around shoppers of other races, especially if they're young and loud.

First Colony is also a prime reason for West Oaks' decline; the rejuvenation of Memorial City just accelerated it. In the 2000s, West Oaks' decline was NOT slow, it pretty much fell off a cliff. It's also notable how much of the surrounding big-box retail has had occupancy issues over the years too. Doesn't help that a huge part of what should be the market area is occupied by an unpopulated reservoir.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 AM

121 posts, read 40,489 times
Why are you putting down the galleria?

Would you rather it disappear?

Cmon.

One of Houston's tourist attraction.
Think.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:40 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,599,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Doesn't help that a huge part of what should be the market area is occupied by an unpopulated reservoir.
Actually on the other side of the reservoir is Cinco Ranch. Most long-time Houstonians would be fine visiting the boundary of Alief, but there are transplants unfamiliar with this town who would not be comfortable shopping at West Oaks.

It's frustrating having to drive all the way to Memorial City to visit Macy's because of the distance, although West Oaks was closer, it did not have the items to cater to the upscale Cinco Ranchers. Katy desperately needs a mall but the current economic conditions won't allow it due to various factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
Why are you putting down the galleria?

Would you rather it disappear?

Cmon.

One of Houston's tourist attraction.
Think.
It would be better if Downtown Houston was more like Chicago as the premier shopping area in the metro. Main Street being more Michigan Avenue, especially having the tallest and densest skyline in Texas already there, is more impressive than an oversized mall as a tourist attraction. All that's needed to funnel shoppers from the suburbs are reliably scheduled commuter trains that run also on the weekends!

It might be time for The Galleria to go along with the rest of Uptown and Greenway Plaza. Those are the failed ideas of the edge city in that it detracts from Downtown and makes transportation planning more difficult.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:39 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,705,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually on the other side of the reservoir is Cinco Ranch. Most long-time Houstonians would be fine visiting the boundary of Alief, but there are transplants unfamiliar with this town who would not be comfortable shopping at West Oaks.

It's frustrating having to drive all the way to Memorial City to visit Macy's because of the distance, although West Oaks was closer, it did not have the items to cater to the upscale Cinco Ranchers. Katy desperately needs a mall but the current economic conditions won't allow it due to various factors.

It would be better if Downtown Houston was more like Chicago as the premier shopping area in the metro. Main Street being more Michigan Avenue, especially having the tallest and densest skyline in Texas already there, is more impressive than an oversized mall as a tourist attraction. All that's needed to funnel shoppers from the suburbs are reliably scheduled commuter trains that run also on the weekends!

It might be time for The Galleria to go along with the rest of Uptown and Greenway Plaza. Those are the failed ideas of the edge city in that it detracts from Downtown and makes transportation planning more difficult.
Calling GP and Uptown "Edge City" is utterly ridiculous at this point. Just like Manhattan has a Downtown and Midtown, Houston has Downtown and Uptown, with GP in between. These three areas plus the TMC define our increasingly dense urban core.

Downtown can't yet be our main retail area for destination shopping because half of its market area still lacks affluent households and density. This is changing, but so is retail - so by the time Downtown is ready to have a lot of retail again, who's to say what kind that should be? Right now, Downtown is adding eating and drinking places like crazy.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:01 AM

6,846 posts, read 12,397,091 times
I was at the galleria a few weeks ago and it was packed with people. Those of us that live in the city see no reason to drive to the outer suburbs just to shop when we have the galleria nearby. I don't care how nice the woodlands mall is. I'm not driving an hour to get there when I have the galleria 10 minutes away. Most of my shopping is done online but when I need to try stuff on I'll go to the galleria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or