U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,704,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I was at the galleria a few weeks ago and it was packed with people. Those of us that live in the city see no reason to drive to the outer suburbs just to shop when we have the galleria nearby. I don't care how nice the woodlands mall is. I'm not driving an hour to get there when I have the galleria 10 minutes away. Most of my shopping is done online but when I need to try stuff on I'll go to the galleria.
Makes total sense. And people who live in town just laugh when suburbanites complain that "parking is so hard" at The Galleria (and Uptown in general). Please, parking could be much much worse. A lot of people even complain at suburban malls when they can't park within 50 yards of the entrance they want to go into. Popular places have busy parking lots / garages, how do people not comprehend this? And no, women do NOT deserve a break on this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 10:34 PM

8,708 posts, read 2,323,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's so crowded, no one goes there any more.

Thanks, Yogi.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:35 PM

1,105 posts, read 849,676 times
I would agree that the parking garages at The Galleria are like a series of mazes. However, I know those mazes well enough that I never have a problem finding a convenient parking spot. Those do exist and I'm not sure it's to my advantage to advertise them :-)

Moving on to another subject ... I realize that The Galleria is just a mall, but it's the biggest one by far in Texas and I presume it is one of the few that is still quite profitable. Aside from whatever shopping people do (or do not do) there, it serves as a comfortable public space for people to be with other people, people-watch, grab a bite, etc. As much as I also enjoy outdoor "lifestyle centers" (or whatever they call them) like City Centre, The Galleria is still the 800-pound gorilla in Houston.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:48 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,851,133 times
Maybe the haters haven't lived somewhere that had no decent shops. I don't much like shopping, but I love having a mall with great stores a few minutes from my house. When I need something, I know I can find it there. I'm not going to hang out all day. I'm going to find an awesome pair of shoes, or get a battery at the apple store, exchange a sweater at Banana, or pick up cosmetics at Aveda or Origins.

Now go ahead. Judge me. IDC LOL

Old 08-10-2018, 12:54 PM

112 posts, read 35,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I'm sorry for raining on your Galleria Mall parade.You must get excited every time you step foot in that overpriced mall, like you haven't seen a mall before.
Damn man, The Galleria must have slept with your girl and slapped your mom silly. Calm down, it's just a mall.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:20 PM

1,105 posts, read 849,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressHeat View Post
Damn man, The Galleria must have slept with your girl and slapped your mom silly. Calm down, it's just a mall.
Different strokes for different folks :-) A lot of younger people go there to stroll around and enjoy it because its big and has some fancy shops. A lot of more experienced people go there for practical reasons. And ... some people hate it for their own reasons. As for me, I'll keep going there occasionally as long as the owners maintain it. Not to spend $10K + but because it's convenient and has a few stores and restaurants I like. If one really wants to get fancy, go to River Oaks District, which had Oprah shopping there this week.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:55 PM

424 posts, read 479,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressHeat View Post
You just wasted a response with this foolishness. I'm not one to trade corny insults (juvenile stuff), but the fact remains is that you're in your feelings because you're precious Galleria Mall is overrated. River Oaks blows Galleria off the map for shopping.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:11 PM

1,090 posts, read 952,538 times
How is a mall that houses Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman Marcus and Tiffany over rated? Please enlighten me on this, once again gibberish you speak? It's ok if you don't like the Galleria. You absolutely have that right. But the Galleria has both some of the most successful shops as well as places for less affluent shoppers.
The Galleria doesn't need your approval. It holds it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
You just wasted a response with this foolishness. I'm not one to trade corny insults (juvenile stuff), but the fact remains is that you're in your feelings because you're precious Galleria Mall is overrated. River Oaks blows Galleria off the map for shopping.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:02 PM

424 posts, read 479,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
How is a mall that houses Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman Marcus and Tiffany over rated? Please enlighten me on this, once again gibberish you speak? It's ok if you don't like the Galleria. You absolutely have that right. But the Galleria has both some of the most successful shops as well as places for less affluent shoppers.
The Galleria doesn't need your approval. It holds it's own.

Obviously you don't know the Galleria Mall that well because there's no store in there for less affluent shoppers. I've been going to Galleria Mall since I was a kid, even before I started going to Willowbrook Mall. It always catered towards an affluent clientele.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:25 PM

1,630 posts, read 1,784,057 times
I remember shopping in the Galleria with my (now Houston-living) sister. I bought something in a hosiery-specialty shop, so you know this was back in the day when hosiery was a thing! (Mid-'80's, I think.) We both liked the Galleria very much. These days, I shop online with non-mall presence sites.

It's a pity that the ice-skating there isn't year-round, though I under$tand why not. Last winter we skated at a rink in Sugarland, and it was ten bucks per!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or