U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:35 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times

Advertisements

^^ Thanks for sharing more about your motivations for relocating. I can certainly appreciate your desire to seek a city with additional diversity. I hope you can find a good spot to land here in Houston.

Again, since I'm not that all familiar with the areas you are looking in (I live in the Clear Lake area between Houston and Galveston), I'll leave it for others to make more specific suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 07:23 AM

4,516 posts, read 11,309,583 times
What area of Lake Houston are you looking? When you say cheap it makes me think you are maybe looking at Huffman on the east side. Thats not really Houston at all and a heck of a painful commute to your work location. Houses on the lake in Kingwood are pricier although be aware that most of those houses flooded during Harvey. You also have Atascocita which is mid priced but maybe doesnt have the best schools. Keep in mind that 1960 through that area is a traffic nightmare.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:23 AM

10 posts, read 2,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
What area of Lake Houston are you looking? When you say cheap it makes me think you are maybe looking at Huffman on the east side. Thats not really Houston at all and a heck of a painful commute to your work location. Houses on the lake in Kingwood are pricier although be aware that most of those houses flooded during Harvey. You also have Atascocita which is mid priced but maybe doesnt have the best schools. Keep in mind that 1960 through that area is a traffic nightmare.

Yes my Grandpa lived in Humble (Atascocita) area north of 1960 and I hated the commute down to 59. Now 59 into downtown wasn't that bad with traffic, just a lot of gas.

My concern is the safety of the homes. Are the homes on the west side of the lake ok? Do they get broken into a lot? I will look up some impact maps of the hurricane and if anyone has a map or link of the flood areas they would like to share would be great as well.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:39 AM

1,234 posts, read 3,663,461 times
Since you have some varied ideas for where to live, I would seriously think about renting for a year. I know it doesn't get you settled, but there's a HIGH likelihood you will find the perfect place after more exploration. And you really need to be local for this to happen. Rent a 2 bedroom house or townhouse around the Heights (so I-10 between 610 West and downtown), something central for your job and excursions, and use the weekends to drive to other areas.

It would be a shame to buy a house based on a few visits, and then suffer with it for years until you can sell (home appreciation in Houston isn't guaranteed, especially in the suburbs).

Old 07-31-2018, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 2,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Since you have some varied ideas for where to live, I would seriously think about renting for a year. I know it doesn't get you settled, but there's a HIGH likelihood you will find the perfect place after more exploration. And you really need to be local for this to happen. Rent a 2 bedroom house or townhouse around the Heights (so I-10 between 610 West and downtown), something central for your job and excursions, and use the weekends to drive to other areas.

It would be a shame to buy a house based on a few visits, and then suffer with it for years until you can sell (home appreciation in Houston isn't guaranteed, especially in the suburbs).
Speaking of... Homes outside the loop appreciate slower than homes inside the loop? If so, I'm just curious as to how since "downtown" isn't really a desired location by many locals. When I visit downtown houston it seems to be mostly businesses and not really a lot of high-rise living. I was scared to buy one of the as I call them "tall homes" I see in the loop with the basement the only thing on the lower level. First they aren't that attractive to the high, probably can only fit two cars and or one truck in most of those things and they have little to no yard space. All of those things most texans put high appreciation value in. What are your and anyone's thoughts on those "tall houses"?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:32 PM

1,234 posts, read 3,663,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disrespect87 View Post
Speaking of... Homes outside the loop appreciate slower than homes inside the loop? If so, I'm just curious as to how since "downtown" isn't really a desired location by many locals. When I visit downtown houston it seems to be mostly businesses and not really a lot of high-rise living. I was scared to buy one of the as I call them "tall homes" I see in the loop with the basement the only thing on the lower level. First they aren't that attractive to the high, probably can only fit two cars and or one truck in most of those things and they have little to no yard space. All of those things most texans put high appreciation value in. What are your and anyone's thoughts on those "tall houses"?
Downtown isn't really the "center" of Houston (and why you notice it so quickly drops off to the east). The center developed west of it, and so proximity to downtown to west of the Galleria is really considered to be the sweet spot if you want to be close to most everything. This is because downtown has historically been business-focused, though that's changing. Rice Village, the Heights, Montrose, Uptown/Galleria--THOSE are the "play" areas.

Since Houston has no real barriers to building, the suburbs are always competing against new construction, which many (most) people deem more desirable. Inside the loop (west of downtown), and along the west loop (Galleria area, Memorial, Bellaire) land is at a premium and prices are higher, and appreciation is stronger. Some of the best schools are there.

3-story homes are the standard in many areas, and have become very accepted. They aren't for everyone, though! They are more of a pain when you have little kids (stairs, lack of yard space), but for most people they are the affordable way to stay in town.

Last edited by travelguy_73; 07-31-2018 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 04:26 PM

4,516 posts, read 11,309,583 times
This is a snarky but somewhat accurate take on the different areas of Houston:

https://goo.gl/images/ojgwh9

Old 07-31-2018, 04:43 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
This is a snarky but somewhat accurate take on the different areas of Houston:

https://goo.gl/images/ojgwh9
These Judgmental maps crack me up because as you state above, they are usually pretty accurate.

And I say that as someone who's proud to be currently living among the astronauts and their sycophants and previously with other pretentious white people who like trains (though back when it wasn't quite as pretentious) and grew up as a Jew in the Used to be Jewish suburbs now barrio...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or