U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2018, 04:52 PM
 
10 posts, read 2,315 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

I'm moving from Denver, Colorado because things are too expensive out here. However I love the inner-city dense feel to denver. Houston doesn't really have that feel because of all of the CBD's such as downtown, uptown, and etc. Plus I'm wondering why Houston's downtown isn't a hot commodity like most other major cities downtown. That's why I'm thinking about just settling for the "Suburban" feel by moving to Lake Houston or Pearland. I'm ok with a smaller yard if I were to live east of downtown by the George R Brown convention center, but I don't want to live there and not get the "everything is happening" downtown feel that I get here in Denver. If downtown houston doesn't provide that real inner-city feel then by moving to the burbs, which is better; Lake Houston or Pearland?

Hope I didn't confuse anyone with the structure of my post lol sorry my thinking is all over the place. I would most likely be commuting to 290 and beltway 8 btw for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2018, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Willowbrook, Houston
422 posts, read 479,088 times
Reputation: 555
Wouldn't it make more sense to live close to 290 and BW 8 for work, since you would be commuting there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 04:58 PM
 
10 posts, read 2,315 times
Reputation: 25
By the way I have a 7 month year old son and a wife who has never lived outside of Denver. I want to live in houston where they can feel safe and enjoy our house entertainment and also a entertainment district for when friends and family come to visit. Deerbrook mall and the whole 1960 area is not my kind of place. Just seems like a bunch of shopping malls with massive parking lots. Where is the walkability factor in Houston or does everyone just accept getting in their car and driving 30 mins to every where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 05:01 PM
 
10 posts, read 2,315 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to live close to 290 and BW 8 for work, since you would be commuting there?



It would indeed be more convenient, however I don't plan to work for this company forever. Hopefully a few side projects of mines helps me to start my own company and do my own thing one day. At least that's the plan so I'm really trying hard to not glue myself to a side of town just because of a job that I'm at now. I'm looking to buy a house not rent an apt. But I have lived in houston before so I do understand that traffic is definitely something to not overlook. I was thinking of paying extra for the beltway access and was hoping that would help. But you all live there now and can probably tell me if that's even a benefit or not lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
Reputation: 6074
Quote:
Originally Posted by disrespect87 View Post
I'm moving from Denver, Colorado because things are too expensive out here. However I love the inner-city dense feel to denver. Houston doesn't really have that feel because of all of the CBD's such as downtown, uptown, and etc. Plus I'm wondering why Houston's downtown isn't a hot commodity like most other major cities downtown. That's why I'm thinking about just settling for the "Suburban" feel by moving to Lake Houston or Pearland. I'm ok with a smaller yard if I were to live east of downtown by the George R Brown convention center, but I don't want to live there and not get the "everything is happening" downtown feel that I get here in Denver. If downtown houston doesn't provide that real inner-city feel then by moving to the burbs, which is better; Lake Houston or Pearland?

Hope I didn't confuse anyone with the structure of my post lol sorry my thinking is all over the place. I would most likely be commuting to 290 and beltway 8 btw for work.
We moved back home to Houston a few years ago after 15 years away, most recently several years in Denver (we lived in Stapleton, but spent most of our time in or near downtown, Park Hill, City Park etc), and I agree with your observations above. You are not going to get that dense urban, unique neighborhood, ample walkability feel like is common in Denver. However, there are areas where that can be approximated. I would recommend Montrose, The Heights or Midtown. All are good areas with a lot of young families or singles. Since your kid is an infant, you don't have to worry about schools right now (which would be the weak link with all the areas I mentioned). I also know that many people now are living in the rapidly gentrifying area East of downtown (known by the very Denver sounding acronym of EaDo).

The commute to work would not be good, however. But if you are willing to make that tradeoff, I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the above neighborhoods. Montrose and The Heights are old, established neighborhoods with character, restaurants and amenities, and Midtown has a dense concentration of restaurants and bars, though it seems to appeal most to singles, so maybe no longer your cup of tea. TBH, your OP sounds like you have already thrown in the towel and settled for a bland suburban location, and I'm not sure you need to do that unless the commute is a deal breaker for you.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-30-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 05:40 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Beautiful Northwest Houston
4,644 posts, read 4,480,463 times
Reputation: 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
We moved back home to Houston a few years ago after 15 years away, most recently several years in Denver (we lived in Stapleton), and I agree with your observations above. You are not going to get that dense urban, unique neighborhood, ample walkability feel like is common in Denver. However, there are areas where that can be approximated. I would recommend Montrose, The Heights or Midtown. All are good areas with a lot of young families or singles. Since your kid is an infant, you don't have to worry about schools right now (which would be the weak link with all the areas I mentioned). I also know that many people now are living in the rapidly gentrifying area East of downtown (known by the very Denver sounding acronym of EaDo).

The commute to work would not be good, however. But if you are willing to make that tradeoff, I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the above neighborhoods. Montrose and The Heights are old, established neighborhoods with character, restaurants and amenities, and Midtown has a dense concentration of restaurants and bars. TBH, your OP sounds like you have already thrown in the towel and settled for a bland suburban location, and I'm not sure you need to do that unless the commute is a deal breaker for you.

We also don't know the OP's budget, those neighborhoods you listed may be too pricey...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
Reputation: 6074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
We also don't know the OP's budget, those neighborhoods you listed may be too pricey...
Not if they live and own a home in Denver where average home price is 500K.

However, OP did mention that he found Denver too costly, so yes, your point is well taken Jack. OP, what is your budget? The neighborhoods I recommended are very desirable and not cheap, plenty of prices in the 500-700K and up range. Cost can be mitigated by looking at townhomes etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 05:57 PM
 
10 posts, read 2,315 times
Reputation: 25
My Budget would be anywhere between 300K to 475K

The only thing I don't like about the heights is that the homes are old and many aren't renovated.

I really like the idea of EaDo. Houston's lack of zoning really shows though. You'll have about 10 townhomes wrapped in a gate with gate code access and then a few shotgun houses surrounding it lol. Kind of weird to get used to not having any continuity in the aesthetics.

I find Lake Houston attractive because those are some big ol houses compared to what we get here in Denver for such a low price it's almost alarming lol. Why are the prices so low with houses so close to a lake? Is the crime high or something?

Living by Rice University and that whole area would be my preference but those houses are going around upwards 500K to 600K and I can't afford that yet (maybe one day). Also I see these big backyards and can't help but think with the damn near unbearable heat in texas, how much time do you or would you really spend out there anyways?


Thank you all for your responses so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
Reputation: 6074
Quote:
Originally Posted by disrespect87 View Post
My Budget would be anywhere between 300K to 475K
Quote:
Originally Posted by disrespect87 View Post

The only thing I don't like about the heights is that the homes are old and many aren't renovated.

I really like the idea of EaDo. Houston's lack of zoning really shows though. You'll have about 10 townhomes wrapped in a gate with gate code access and then a few shotgun houses surrounding it lol. Kind of weird to get used to not having any continuity in the aesthetics.

I find Lake Houston attractive because those are some big ol houses compared to what we get here in Denver for such a low price it's almost alarming lol. Why are the prices so low with houses so close to a lake? Is the crime high or something?

Living by Rice University and that whole area would be my preference but those houses are going around upwards 500K to 600K and I can't afford that yet (maybe one day). Also I see these big backyards and can't help but think with the damn near unbearable heat in texas, how much time do you or would you really spend out there anyways?


Thank you all for your responses so far
Hmm, yeah, that budget is going to be all but impossible for the areas I suggested. Sorry, I got carried away and honed in on finding a good Denver-like match without regard to pricing. I still think you might be able to sneak it at the top of your budget if you consider something other than a SFH. And yes, your observation about EaDo is a valid one due to lack of zoning.

If you're going to go suburban, given your work location, maybe consider the Cypress-Fairbanks area, Jersey Village (though I readily admit I don't know much about that quadrant of town). I think Pearland is really far away from where you'd be working, and I'd probably eliminate it from consideration. Out of curiosity, if your budget goes up to $475K, why not stay in Denver and try and find a home in a suburb like SE Aurora, Centennial, Thornton, an older home in Westminster etc? Or are homes at that price point still going within minutes of being listed, usually with multiple bidders?

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-30-2018 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 08:47 PM
 
10 posts, read 2,315 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
[b]

Hmm, yeah, that budget is going to be all but impossible for the areas I suggested. Sorry, I got carried away and honed in on finding a good Denver-like match without regard to pricing. I still think you might be able to sneak it at the top of your budget if you consider something other than a SFH. And yes, your observation about EaDo is a valid one due to lack of zoning.

If you're going to go suburban, given your work location, maybe consider the Cypress-Fairbanks area, Jersey Village (though I readily admit I don't know much about that quadrant of town). I think Pearland is really far away from where you'd be working, and I'd probably eliminate it from consideration. Out of curiosity, if your budget goes up to $475K, why not stay in Denver and try and find a home in a suburb like SE Aurora, Centennial, Thornton, an older home in Westminster etc? Or are homes at that price point still going within minutes of being listed, usually with multiple bidders?
For me being an African American born in Denver and also living in Houston I find it more diverse to live in Houston. Having my first son I want him to be around all walks of life and not just white. Denver is somewhat diverse but unfortunately most black ppl in Denver arenít in all different types of job fields. I want my son to feel motivated and Houston has African Americans in every field from judges to police officers to store owners. Seeing successfully ppl of your same race being a minority is big on the psychological part of a childís brain. Plus it also motivates me too to share dreams with like minded ppl. Denver is mostly working entry level jobs from however is hiring. I love Denver itís my home and itís provably top three most beautiful states but not enough diversity in all fields for my liking. I will look Har website and Zillow to see what cypress has to offer. I just remember living in Houston and both 45 and 290 were the worse highways lol. Kind of wanted to stay away from the ever growing all ready crowded west side of the metro. Living on the west side Houston however was the most fun part of Houston. The only part that reminds me of living in an actual city lol as far as night life goes but Iím married now so itís no big deal. Is the Hamerly rd area good? My twin bro stayed near copperfield and it wasnít too bad when I visited him last year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top