U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:50 AM

596 posts, read 798,247 times

Advertisements

http://www.houstonrestaurantweeks.com/

Benefiting Houston Food Bank
August 1 to September 3, 2018

Any recommendations on which restaurants offer a good lunch?

Only experienced this once or twice the past few years. Seems like the selections offered is less than before, but there is a lot more restaurants participating.

Last edited by huma281; 07-31-2018 at 01:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:56 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
There are a lot of participating restaurants that I like that look to be offering lunch (and are centrally located), including:

Le Colonial (River Oaks District)
B&B Butchers (Washington Corridor)
Caracol (Galleria area)
Ousie's Table (River Oaks)
Poitin (Washington Corridor- I haven't been there yet, but plan to. It's new and has gotten good reviews in several publications).
Provisions (Midtown)
Xochi (Downtown in the Marriott Marquis Hotel)

Old 08-02-2018, 01:48 PM

55 posts, read 19,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
http://www.houstonrestaurantweeks.com/

Benefiting Houston Food Bank
August 1 to September 3, 2018

Any recommendations on which restaurants offer a good lunch?

Only experienced this once or twice the past few years. Seems like the selections offered is less than before, but there is a lot more restaurants participating.
If you eat at a restaurant that participates in this, please tip your servers 40% instead of 20%. They take a horrible beating for this month. Frankly, it's something that we really need to do away with. You want to help the food bank, make a donation to them. Don't screw over the waitstaff.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:07 PM

457 posts, read 886,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
If you eat at a restaurant that participates in this, please tip your servers 40% instead of 20%. They take a horrible beating for this month. Frankly, it's something that we really need to do away with. You want to help the food bank, make a donation to them. Don't screw over the waitstaff.
Don't understand this statement at all. This time of the year is historically a low reservation time for restaurants not just in Houston but all over the country. Houston Restaurant Weeks as well as similar promotions in other major cities was started to get more people to the restaurants. Without these promotions, restaurants and waitstaff take a bigger beating.

While restaurants are getting a smaller margin, the overall tab is pretty good. A couple going to a HRW is easily spending $125-$150 if they are drinking.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:48 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
A couple going to a HRW is easily spending $125-$150 if they are drinking.
And I think this might present the servers with a double edged sword in regards to Restaurant Weeks. If patrons order off the special prix fixe menu, then they are quite possibly spending less than they would otherwise (though not always). The server has to do all the same amount of work, arguably more, since the restaurant is often more crowded than usual. However, they earn less gratuity per table since total tab is less. OTOH, as you point out, larger crowds for Restaurant Weeks means more volume at a historically low time, more tables turned over and ultimately more money to be made. So, I can see both sides.

I generally avoid restaurants that participate based on previous experience when I lived in another city. It's much harder to make reservations, and my one foray to a place we regularly frequented was that it was very crowded with was overall an unpleasant experience compared to what we usually had. I would be willing to try again here in Houston, because I do think it's for a good cause I have supported in the past, but I would not go at dinner.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:16 AM

457 posts, read 886,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
And I think this might present the servers with a double edged sword in regards to Restaurant Weeks. If patrons order off the special prix fixe menu, then they are quite possibly spending less than they would otherwise (though not always). The server has to do all the same amount of work, arguably more, since the restaurant is often more crowded than usual. However, they earn less gratuity per table since total tab is less. OTOH, as you point out, larger crowds for Restaurant Weeks means more volume at a historically low time, more tables turned over and ultimately more money to be made. So, I can see both sides.

I generally avoid restaurants that participate based on previous experience when I lived in another city. It's much harder to make reservations, and my one foray to a place we regularly frequented was that it was very crowded with was overall an unpleasant experience compared to what we usually had. I would be willing to try again here in Houston, because I do think it's for a good cause I have supported in the past, but I would not go at dinner.
I can see what you are saying.

What it comes down to is a $25-$30 tip is more than a $0 tip.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:41 AM

130 posts, read 118,265 times
Quote:
Let me get this math right...$45 dinner x2 is a $90 bill. If I order an alcoholic beverage, it will be another $10/person, bringing the bill to $110. There are debates on tipping before or after tax, which I will leave for someone else, so to be conservative, I'll leave it at $110. So you are saying that a $22 tip is taking a beating, and I am screwing someone over? I need to be a waiter.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 5,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
Let me get this math right...$45 dinner x2 is a $90 bill. If I order an alcoholic beverage, it will be another $10/person, bringing the bill to $110. There are debates on tipping before or after tax, which I will leave for someone else, so to be conservative, I'll leave it at $110. So you are saying that a $22 tip is taking a beating, and I am screwing someone over? I need to be a waiter.
Ultimately, I think it depends on the restaurant. If you are a waiter for B&B Butchers you're certainly going to take a hit. On a normal night, the 10 oz Filet alone would be $46. During HRW you can get a filet, app, and dessert for $45.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:51 PM

668 posts, read 1,107,863 times
Sorry - I'm not sorry. I will not be made to feel guilty over tipping 20%. This is a good cause (Food Bank)- in the end the customers who may try this place out during HRW may come back as regulars. Such is life, we all make choices.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:30 AM

298 posts, read 259,433 times
Quote:

Umm ... no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or