U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 AM
Status: "Get off my cloud !" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Beautiful Northwest Houston
5,076 posts, read 4,913,103 times
Reputation: 4169

Advertisements

July 12, 2018

JLL also found not all cities are created equal when it comes to attracting highly-educated talent. Research showed that more than 50% of the growth in the highly-educated population in central cities from 2008-2016 occurred in just six large cities: New York (365,000), Los Angeles (189,000), Chicago (162,000), Houston (119,000), Philadelphia (109,000) and Seattle (93,000).

https://www.connect.media/whats-behi...erse-commutes/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2018, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Avondale, Chicago
14,405 posts, read 26,189,355 times
Reputation: 9424
This links to a link to a report I can download and read. If I do, I hope it's better-written than the article that seems to summarize it, which never does define "highly-educated," and seems to be mostly about the rates of people who "reverse commute" which also does not mean exactly the same thing in every metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2018, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,338 posts, read 1,954,894 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
This links to a link to a report I can download and read. If I do, I hope it's better-written than the article that seems to summarize it, which never does define "highly-educated," and seems to be mostly about the rates of people who "reverse commute" which also does not mean exactly the same thing in every metro area.
Usually "highly educated" is defined as either minimum Bachelors degree or sometimes an advanced degree. I think this should be reconsidered, given that many well-paying jobs require a certification or associates degree, not a standard bachelors degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2018, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Avondale, Chicago
14,405 posts, read 26,189,355 times
Reputation: 9424
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Usually "highly educated" is defined as either minimum Bachelors degree or sometimes an advanced degree. I think this should be reconsidered, given that many well-paying jobs require a certification or associates degree, not a standard bachelors degree.
And then "well-paying" needs defined. You can make it well on $80K in some markets and not so well in others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Houston
2,338 posts, read 1,954,894 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And then "well-paying" needs defined. You can make it well on $80K in some markets and not so well in others.
In the Houston region, $80K is a decent middle-class wage for a small family. If there's a second income earner, that household is doing pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2018, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Avondale, Chicago
14,405 posts, read 26,189,355 times
Reputation: 9424
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
In the Houston region, $80K is a decent middle-class wage for a small family. If there's a second income earner, that household is doing pretty well.
But in San Francisco or NYC, they're eligible for welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2018, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles/Austin
132 posts, read 54,454 times
Reputation: 201
That's because Houston is an awesome city with limitless opportunity. If you hustle in Houston. You can have your cake AND eat it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2018, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles/Austin
132 posts, read 54,454 times
Reputation: 201
Houston is progressive and may be attracting almost as many millennials to its city as Austin.

It’s also one of the most rapidly growing cities in the country, which isn’t just by happenstance.

Perhaps the reason people move to Houston boils down to the fact that it is a well-rounded, desirable place to live. Ask any Houston native and they’ll beam with pride and explain just how much living in Houston has influenced their life for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2018, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Houston
1,694 posts, read 2,142,364 times
Reputation: 1079
its so big of a melting pot folks aren't loyal to Houston causes like other cities. That's why the universities fail to attract mass followings at events, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Status: "Get off my cloud !" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Beautiful Northwest Houston
5,076 posts, read 4,913,103 times
Reputation: 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
its so big of a melting pot folks aren't loyal to Houston causes like other cities. That's why the universities fail to attract mass followings at events, etc.

The Astro's , Texans, And Rockets are attracting loyal fans just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top