U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 03:32 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,203,850 times

Advertisements

We're moving, want to keep our ATT phone #, but don't want a landline. Does ATT offer any kind of Voice Mail only service? If not, what options might there be that I'm not aware of?

We do not want a physical phone. We're ok with using our cells to check VM daily. We don't even answer our landline, as it's 99% spam. But we've had it for 30+ years, and are reluctant to give it up.

We don't want to pay $50/month for a line, but don't mind a nominal amount to keep the phone #, and only have a virtual presence.

Thanks for your ideas and feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,014,552 times
Let it go... if you don't answer it and it's 99% spam... why bother?
i ditched my landline at least 10 years ago and haven't looked back once.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:47 PM

8 posts, read 1,115 times
Can you not port it over to Google Voice? Or do they not accept landline numbers? At the very least, you can try porting it out to a PAYG T-mobile number, and that would be around $3/month, with some limited monthly minutes available to you, in case someone important actually calls your 'home' number. My old AT&T landline number is now safely sitting in a Google Voice account, but I just can't remember if I had to port via a T-mobile cell account, or if I could port directly. I was going to do that with my childhood phone number when my parents finally moved, but unfortunately, my dad was much more organized than I was, and he cancelled the account before I could port the number out. If it works for you, don't forget - port the number out FIRST, before cancelling your account. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,203,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetwinss View Post
Can you not port it over to Google Voice? Or do they not accept landline numbers? At the very least, you can try porting it out to a PAYG T-mobile number, and that would be around $3/month, with some limited monthly minutes available to you, in case someone important actually calls your 'home' number. My old AT&T landline number is now safely sitting in a Google Voice account, but I just can't remember if I had to port via a T-mobile cell account, or if I could port directly. I was going to do that with my childhood phone number when my parents finally moved, but unfortunately, my dad was much more organized than I was, and he cancelled the account before I could port the number out. If it works for you, don't forget - port the number out FIRST, before cancelling your account. Good luck!
Thanks, this sounds like it would work. I'll start checking into GV.

jennifw--not quite ready to give it up, although perhaps not too long.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:03 AM

203 posts, read 132,165 times
I did this. I used Ooma. Wife wanted to keep phone number that has been in family 70 years.

Of course, the only phone calls we got on that number were telemarketers. I now have it go straight to voice mail, not even to my wife's cell. But it's memorabilia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston