Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 11,101 times

Advertisements

Looking for somewhere near the Medical Center, and there's a bunch of renovated/new houses between Cullen and Scot and Bellfort and Reed. Historically, not great I believe. Is the area starting to turn or is it still really rough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 03:58 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
It’s not the heights and it won’t turn quickly so we’re safe.

School reps will keep folks from moving in and a lot of original landowners and slumlords making too much to even think about moving.

Best thing it has going is proximity and that’s it.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:59 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
Compared to the 80's and 90's, Sunnyside/South Park has calmed down, although violent crime is still an issue. As long as you stay on or close to the main thoroughfares of MLK, Belfort and Cullen, you should be straight as far as safety goes.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:14 PM

To be honest, not sure that 'calmed down is enough' though getting an actual house instead of a condo is tempting. Though I'm currently on the west side of NRG so maybe it's comparable.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:19 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slallison View Post
Looking for somewhere near the Medical Center, and there's a bunch of renovated/new houses between Cullen and Scot and Bellfort and Reed. Historically, not great I believe. Is the area starting to turn or is it still really rough?
Gentrifier?

Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Gentrifier?
Nah, too poor to move somewhere nice, not interested in getting shot. Does that count as gentrifying?

Seriously I got maybe 140k to work with, and I work in TMC. Not particularly interested in living in the next county over either.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:38 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
You mean you have 140k to put down or you can spend 140k max?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slallison View Post
Nah, too poor to move somewhere nice, not interested in getting shot. Does that count as gentrifying?

Seriously I got maybe 140k to work with, and I work in TMC. Not particularly interested in living in the next county over either.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:52 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Compared to the 80's and 90's, Sunnyside/South Park has calmed down, although violent crime is still an issue. As long as you stay on or close to the main thoroughfares of MLK, Belfort and Cullen, you should be straight as far as safety goes.
One reason South Park calmed down, sadly, is because all the wealth went away from the area.

Quote:
A Houston Chronicle article from 1993 described South Park during the early '90s solely in terms of violence: "South Park was a war zone, a place of nightly shootings, fistfights, police harassment and strife. There, the right amount of money could buy any weapon, even hand grenades. Seven-year-old children knew how to handle pistols."

But, Gonzales says, even that period in South Park's history eventually came to an end.

"The criminal element destroyed itself," he states, plainly. "You can only steal so much before it's all gone. You gonna break into a house already has the door hangin' off it, ain't nothing inside but dirt? The bad guys moved on to Alief, Hiram Clark."

And South Park now? "Pickins is slim over there," he sighs.
--

Sunnyside was always a black community but South Park was initially white suburbia that turned after white flight. That's why Worthing (black) and Jones (white) were so close to one another. https://www.houstonpress.com/news/st...anding-6587672

Old 09-04-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
You mean you have 140k to put down or you can spend 140k max?

140 very top end max. I've been looking at the Holly Hall condos, but the HOA is eyewatering. Open to suggestions.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:29 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
alot of those areas are up and down as its transient.

I know folks who bought in Sunnyside (new homes) with no issues but its situations where the lot next to them is a house of different standards. I know folks who lived off Holly Hall but its hit-and-miss over there.

I have a friend who lives in Sunnyside in a new townhome and had no issues but the neighbor next to you can make life miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston