U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 02:17 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,852,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Not true: there are lots of hikes every weekend in and around Houston and even during the week. There are several outdoor groups in Houston.
True: yes it's flat. But you still can hike
I have taken advantage of many of the local places, and do so whenever I can. But I don't call it hiking. It's walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:42 PM

15 posts, read 13,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
WOW your first paragraph screams SLC, the second paragraph indicates Houston would be a better fit. Go back and read your OP and decide which paragraph is more important to you...Good luck..
I'll say that having a good group of friends is probably the most important thing to me.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:37 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
It's engineering. I could take vacations. I've honestly never lived in a cold climate so I don't know what it's like to have snow.
Given your field career stage, then I don't think you would be limited by being non LDS. I've heard good things about SLC and I think the city has a diversified enough economy and population, that you should be fine making friends and meeting other people in your demographic. Dating options will be much more limited than Houston, but not sure how important that is to you.

If it were me, all things being equal with the job offer, and the fact that you don't have a family to consider, I would go with SLC for the outdoor activities and the fact that it presents such a new and different opportunity. You're only young once.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:52 PM

15 posts, read 13,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Given your field career stage, then I don't think you would be limited by being non LDS. I've heard good things about SLC and I think the city has a diversified enough economy and population, that you should be fine making friends and meeting other people in your demographic. Dating options will be much more limited than Houston, but not sure how important that is to you.

If it were me, all things being equal with the job offer, and the fact that you don't have a family to consider, I would go with SLC for the outdoor activities and the fact that it presents such a new and different opportunity. You're only young once.
I'm being flown out to Houston pretty soon. I didn't get the chance to fly out to Salt Lake City and don't have time now to do so. I wish I had the chance to actually see it in person haha.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:28 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
I'm being flown out to Houston pretty soon. I didn't get the chance to fly out to Salt Lake City and don't have time now to do so. I wish I had the chance to actually see it in person haha.
You haven't been to either? That's a shame, because the final approach as you fly into SLC is incredible. No wonder you put this question in both cities' forums.

Regardless of which you choose, sounds like you have an exciting opportunity. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:37 PM

728 posts, read 288,881 times
My first reaction to this post was "prejudice much?" You question whether you should consider a move to a city because it is majority LDS?

By all means, move to Houston. In August.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:15 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,287,749 times
SLC is one of my favorite cities in America. Vibrant minority communities do exist there and the Mormons there are really some of the nicest people you'll meet and in general they try their best to make everyone feel welcome. I think your biggest challenge may not be finding friends, but dating. I have been told from people I know that have spent time there as young professionals that that's a bit challenging for non-whites in SLC.

The outdoor activities are unbelievable and year round there. I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy your time there.

If you are in engineering, I'd go SLC. Your degree will likely provide you opportunities in Houston should SLC not agree with you.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:29 AM

88 posts, read 160,139 times
Houston is a workhorse city but the people and food are amazing, as are the jobs plentiful. Anyone not from Houston most likely came here because of a job. Your ethnicity for the most part means nothing (in a good way) to people Houston. The only color that matters in Houston is the color of green. We are pretty diverse, even more so within the city loop. Real estate (renting or buying) inside the loop is pretty high (our rental properties in the city are more valuable than our home on the water in Clear Lake/Nassau Bay).

As for SLC, I wouldn't concern yourself too much about not being Mormon. There are plenty of people there that aren't part of the Mormon church. The majority of Mormons are extremely nice regardless. SLC is beautiful, stunning even, Houston can't compete with that. If you love the outdoors then SLC is much more suitable than Houston. While we do have forests and state parks near Houston we don't have mountains. SLC has winter, but Houston has abysmal summers at times (which is why everything is AC'ed).

If I were you, the biggest thing I would consider right out of college is which city could help me as it pertains to my profession right now.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:53 AM

209 posts, read 69,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniepwils View Post
Houston is a workhorse city but the people and food are amazing, as are the jobs plentiful. Anyone not from Houston most likely came here because of a job. Your ethnicity for the most part means nothing (in a good way) to people Houston. The only color that matters in Houston is the color of green. We are pretty diverse, even more so within the city loop. Real estate (renting or buying) inside the loop is pretty high (our rental properties in the city are more valuable than our home on the water in Clear Lake/Nassau Bay).

As for SLC, I wouldn't concern yourself too much about not being Mormon. There are plenty of people there that aren't part of the Mormon church. The majority of Mormons are extremely nice regardless. SLC is beautiful, stunning even, Houston can't compete with that. If you love the outdoors then SLC is much more suitable than Houston. While we do have forests and state parks near Houston we don't have mountains. SLC has winter, but Houston has abysmal summers at times (which is why everything is AC'ed).

If I were you, the biggest thing I would consider right out of college is which city could help me as it pertains to my profession right now.
Very good post. I agree with most of what you said. While not as beautiful as SLC, Houston actually offers a lot more than most places in the US. SLC lacks the diversity, and it's something I really didn't like about Salt Lake as a minority. There is a reason why many people of different enthicities prefer Houston to a city like Salt Lake.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:54 AM

860 posts, read 468,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaWestCMH View Post
Denver? Vegas, too. Can go from the Strip to the slopes (Mt Charleston) in under an hour, or just go to Brian Head or Mammoth like everyone else. Both cities are outdoor paradises.
Denver is well over 500 miles from SLC, about an 8-hour drive. Las Vegas is slightly closer, about 420 miles away, roughly a six-hour drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or