U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:47 PM

381 posts, read 291,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliefland View Post
Just keeping it simple if you have kids or want your property to appreciate faster make sure the schools are zoned to Katy isd. Ignore those that say Lamar consolidated is good, it will never be as good or well known as Katy schools
Question: Maybe Lamar isnít considered as desirable now, but what about the future with all the new developments going in to West Katy? They are building a lot of nice subdivisions out that way, itís seems all the middle/upper middle class kids will be going to lamar isd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 01:41 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,482,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
Question: Maybe Lamar isnít considered as desirable now, but what about the future with all the new developments going in to West Katy? They are building a lot of nice subdivisions out that way, itís seems all the middle/upper middle class kids will be going to lamar isd?
It's unlikely seeing as Lamar covers half of Fort Bend County and as a result it covers many poor rural areas as well as poorer towns like Rosenberg and some of the border areas between Alief and Richmond. Even in Richmond and Fulshear start developing more and more, Katy seems to be only developing middle class and upper middle class neighborhoods, even North Katy has lots of companies moving into the area, It's very possible the area won't decline further due to all the development and the huge population of people who want to be in in Katy schools.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
It's unlikely seeing as Lamar covers half of Fort Bend County and as a result it covers many poor rural areas as well as poorer towns like Rosenberg and some of the border areas between Alief and Richmond. Even in Richmond and Fulshear start developing more and more, Katy seems to be only developing middle class and upper middle class neighborhoods, even North Katy has lots of companies moving into the area, It's very possible the area won't decline further due to all the development and the huge population of people who want to be in in Katy schools.
So specifically the schools that would cover the newer West katy developments cover the poorer areas as well, or just a broad brush across Lamar ISD?

Old 08-22-2018, 03:00 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,482,233 times
Quote:
So specifically the schools that would cover the newer West katy developments cover the poorer areas as well, or just a broad brush across Lamar ISD?
In a Straight up comparison it will boil down to Lamar ISD as a whole vs. Katy ISD as a whole then Katy "wins" and will forever be ahead due to the fact that the Katy area has only grown in wealth since it took of around the year 2000, talking schools Fulshear is anchored by Cross Creek which is a solid development in my opinion and is essentially a smaller more secluded Cinco Ranch, it might even be more expensive than Cinco Ranch as a whole. But Fulshear is just one School, Katy has Cinco Ranch/ Seven Lakes/ Tompkins and Taylor which are arguably higher rated than any school currently in Lamar CISD.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...on-metro-area/

This is just one list that puts Cinco, Seven Lakes and Tompkins all in the Top 10 out of
public schools in the Houston area. George Ranch is the only Lamar appearance although Fulshear high school is likely unranked due to how new it is.

If you count only big public schools you get.
1. Seven Lakes- Katy
2. Clements- Sugar Land/Fort Bend ISD (mostly touted as the best public school in Houston, suprised at the rankings)
3. Cinco Ranch- Katy
4. Tompkins- Katy
5. The Woodlands
6. Memorial
7. Dawson- Pearland
8. Kingwood
9. Tomball Memorial
10. College Park- Conroe
11. Cypress Woods
12. Cypress Ranch
13. Dulles- Sugar Land
14. Clear Lake
15. Austin- Richmond/Fort Bend ISD
16. George Ranch- Richmond/Lamar ISD
17. Friendswood
18. Stratford- (Houston)/Spring Branch ISD
19. Taylor- Katy
20. Klein- Spring(unsure of what to call this area)/Klein ISD

Old 08-22-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
In a Straight up comparison it will boil down to Lamar ISD as a whole vs. Katy ISD as a whole then Katy "wins" and will forever be ahead due to the fact that the Katy area has only grown in wealth since it took of around the year 2000, talking schools Fulshear is anchored by Cross Creek which is a solid development in my opinion and is essentially a smaller more secluded Cinco Ranch, it might even be more expensive than Cinco Ranch as a whole. But Fulshear is just one School, Katy has Cinco Ranch/ Seven Lakes/ Tompkins and Taylor which are arguably higher rated than any school currently in Lamar CISD.

This is just one list that puts Cinco, Seven Lakes and Tompkins all in the Top 10 out of
public schools in the Houston area. George Ranch is the only Lamar appearance although Fulshear high school is likely unranked due to how new it is.

1. Seven Lakes- Katy
2. Clements- Sugar Land/Fort Bend ISD (mostly touted as the best public school in Houston, suprised at the rankings)
3. Cinco Ranch- Katy
4. Tompkins- Katy
5. The Woodlands
6. Memorial
7. Dawson- Pearland
8. Kingwood
9. Tomball Memorial
10. College Park- Conroe
11. Cypress Woods
12. Cypress Ranch
13. Dulles- Sugar Land
14. Clear Lake
17. Friendswood
19. Taylor- Katy
I think maybe weíre on different pages. Are you talking about resale/market value for my home, or are you saying that my child can not get a quality education in Lamar ISD?

Old 08-22-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:

1. Seven Lakes- Katy
3. Cinco Ranch- Katy
4. Tompkins- Katy
5. The Woodlands
6. Memorial
7. Dawson- Pearland
8. Kingwood
9. Tomball Memorial
10. College Park- Conroe
11. Cypress Woods
12. Cypress Ranch
13. Dulles- Sugar Land
14. Clear Lake
17. Friendswood
19. Taylor- Katy

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/lamar-co...l-district-tx/

Niche also gives Lamar ISD an A rating as well. Not that I really put much weight into these advertisement sites but seems like theyíre doing something right..

Old 08-22-2018, 04:24 PM

1,695 posts, read 748,765 times
Quote:
Do a Katy Independent School District - Map
Then do one for Lamar Independent School District

Old 08-22-2018, 04:29 PM

1,695 posts, read 748,765 times
Another thing to consider with Katy ISD is paying off that 75 million they still owe on the new stadium. That cost will be with bond issues and our property taxes. I don't know if any of that's kicked in yet.
For your research: Katy ISD is in Waller, Harris, and Fort Bend Counties. Compare on tax rates as you narrow down your search.

I'll also say there are new developments in Rosenberg and no it isn't 'cheap' to live down there. The tax rate is just as high if not higher than in Katy. Flooding is a big concern, too. Now Pecan Grove is a 'cheaper' place to live tax wise but they were evacuated during Harvey.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Another thing to consider with Katy ISD is paying off that 75 million they still owe on the new stadium. That cost will be with bond issues and our property taxes. I don't know if any of that's kicked in yet.
For your research: Katy ISD is in Waller, Harris, and Fort Bend Counties. Compare on tax rates as you narrow down your search.

I'll also say there are new developments in Rosenberg and no it isn't 'cheap' to live down there. The tax rate is just as high if not higher than in Katy. Flooding is a big concern, too. Now Pecan Grove is a 'cheaper' place to live tax wise but they were evacuated during Harvey.
Iím looking closer to I10 developments. Young Ranch, Willow Creek Farms, Jordan Ranch. I dont care a ton about the tax rates, Texas is going to nail you on property taxes irregardless. Iím not going to live in a further development cause itís saves me a few hundred dollars a year in property taxes. Iíll pay that Iím gas to get to work.

Lamar ISD apparently has a cheaper tax rate anyways so it ends up working out in my favor.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:50 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,488,439 times
FYI Brookshire schools are the "ROYAL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT" and despite the seeming quiet rural setting, these schools developed a bad reputation and do not seem to enjoy much support from the Caucasian community. Once this reputation gets solidified it is hard to turn around. I saw one stat suggesting that Royal HS is now about 11% Caucasian, and there's a pretty high percentage of economically disadvantaged kids.

HEMPSTEAD ISD has some similar issues, where the high school is about 17% Caucasian.

I wish we lived in a world where this was not the disqualifying factor for folks, but it seems to be a vicious circle - as people pull out of the schools it just makes things more difficult for those who are left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or