Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:54 AM

35 posts, read 43,562 times

Advertisements

We are looking to purchase a townhome in one of the three below areas.... budget up to $525k. Have one infant child and wife is stay at home.

Just wanting general recommendations on which area would be best for a young family.

Museum Park -- this is where we are leaning now. Within walking distance to Children's Museum, Hermann Park and lots of things. Downside seems to potentially be safety.

Rice Military -- close to Memorial Park and lots of other things. Not sure if great for families though.

West U -- not a lot of townhome inventory here.

Would love to get recommendations, especially for Museum Park and Rice Military
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 AM

123 posts, read 100,429 times
There's quiet areas in both Museum Park and Rice Military, but would go with Rice Military for overall safety. West of Main Street and Montrose Blvd is generally safer in the Museum District Area (but this is technically Boulevard Oaks / Southampton), but there are definitely some nice and some not-so-nice areas on Main Street and heading east to Almeda. Rice Military is okay the further you are from Washington Ave and its bar scene. Personally, I'd recommend the Heights over either of these areas.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:29 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
Not sure if you are planning to stay there for elementary school, but if so, there are some great and not-so-great public options, so keep that in mind as well.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:12 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
I think it depends on your interests and work place. I like all those areas. Long term, Rice Military might be more central for public and private school choices (many of which tend to be west-ish). But Museum district is great for access to Hermann Park, which I prefer over Memorial Park, and of course to all the museums, zoo, and Rice University. I do like Buffalo Bayou park, though, and Rice Military is closer to there. I suppose if shopping and errands are a priority then West U; West U also has the public schools, plus the pools/rec center etc, nice as your kid gets older.

So just figure out which things are the most important to you.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:28 PM

I will be working within 15 minutes of all of those places.

Thanks for the information. Have defeinitely been looking at Museum Park east of Main, south of Rosedale and west of Almeda

Old 07-31-2018, 01:34 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Is "Museum Park" what we used to call "Montrose"?

Old 07-31-2018, 02:19 PM

No, it is the area immediately north of Hermann park. Main St on the west, 59 on the North, Almeda on the East

Old 08-01-2018, 01:20 PM

35 posts, read 57,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJ1288 View Post
No, it is the area immediately north of Hermann park. Main St on the west, 59 on the North, Almeda on the East

I'd call this an up & coming area, with caveats. A big one is to check elementary school zone--the zone map looks like a gerrymandered congressional area. This is not an area full of families, but you won't be the only ones. It's an incredibly convenient location, and if you stay away from the highway underpass & night clubs, crime really isn't an issue. Another big plus: this area does not flood.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 PM

55 posts, read 66,087 times
Stay in West U. You won't have to move once your kid is school aged. You can drive to Children's Museum from there in less than 10 mins. Your wife can take walks with a stroller. And it's just cleaner and safer. Rice Military is just too crammed, no sidewalks ugly town homes... Museum park has safety issues. You'll get homeless people pissing on your lawn, your packages will get stolen, you'll hear gun shots. Please. I know cause I see those kind of posts on Nextdoor from people in Museum Prk all the time.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:32 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,805 times
Rice Military is easily the most central located. It borders the Heights and is 10-15 mins. or less from Downtown, Mid-town, Montrose and the Galleria. Short driving distance to I-10 and I-45. There are a variety of townhomes (and single family homes) with some located in gated communities; though, your budget is on the lower end for the nicer options.

I see families with small children all the time. Another option is Camp Washington which is even closer to Memorial Park. It feels slightly more suburban than RM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: