Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 02:03 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times

Advertisements

The last couple of posts have stimulated my memory. As I said earlier, I had a friend who (in the 70s) liked to snoop around old places. Besides the mid-1800s cisterns and the old mansions, we also stumbled onto the old jail in Richmond, by the railroad tracks. Was that ever restored? It would be great if it had been.

At that time, it seemed that Richmond got a bad rep for being predominantly poor and Hispanic. And, by association, having more crime. As for me, I like that demographic, as long as their kids don't mess with my stuff :-)

As for Houston ... here's something I meant to say earlier. I think that there's something in human nature that calls on people to have someone or something to hate. For many, Houston is that thing. That's why I think of Houston as the Rodney Dangerfield of cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 07:06 PM

638 posts, read 568,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
I’m bumping something old and obviously way behind in this conversation but have some thoughts on the original question (btw lots of interesting discussion here, particularly on Ft Bend County above).

I’ve always said I think Houston gets smashed because it’s bad on paper. Flat, humidity, traffic, relatively unattractive built environment, more-disorganized-than-normal sprawl, etc. Yes those things are present in other Texas cities as well but the consensus is probably more so in Houston when you take all the things into consideration. HOWEVER, you cannot judge a place just based on those data points imo. My opinion, Houston has a great feel/spirit (whatever you want to call it) that cannot be quantified and imo cannot be known until you live here. (Yes this is all very subjective).
Good post. Point on.

I'm a Dallas homer but I won't lie and say we don't admire Houston and it's own. We do.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:32 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
I’m bumping something old and obviously way behind in this conversation but have some thoughts on the original question (btw lots of interesting discussion here, particularly on Ft Bend County above).

I’ve always said I think Houston gets smashed because it’s bad on paper. Flat, humidity, traffic, relatively unattractive built environment, more-disorganized-than-normal sprawl, etc. Yes those things are present in other Texas cities as well but the consensus is probably more so in Houston when you take all the things into consideration. HOWEVER, you cannot judge a place just based on those data points imo. My opinion, Houston has a great feel/spirit (whatever you want to call it) that cannot be quantified and imo cannot be known until you live here. (Yes this is all very subjective).
I buy this too. Lived in Houston 26 years (left in early 2011) and had a great time. Returned this spring and inside the loop looked better than ever. Houston is not as great as its CD boosters claim but it is not as bad as its detractors make it out to be.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:55 AM

11,094 posts, read 7,154,662 times
I don't know about "most-attacked", but at worst it's just simple jealousy. I won't take the bait and expend time and energy refuting nonsense.

Let 'em whine, complain, and stay far away. We don't have to do anything in response.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:38 PM

218 posts, read 220,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't know about "most-attacked", but at worst it's just simple jealousy. I won't take the bait and expend time and energy refuting nonsense.

Let 'em whine, complain, and stay far away. We don't have to do anything in response.
I read your post and thought about this story I read. I especially liked the end.

"The Suffers' new album, Everything Here, leads off with a song called “Intro (A Headnod to Houston).” It features Paul Wall rapping over a background of voices singing: It might not be that pretty / But it looks real good to me / It might not be your favorite city / But it's really got a hold on me.

Maybe it's that sense of defiance that ultimately defines Houston's cool—the sense that a city where cool isn't the primary commodity can afford to lie back and let the world come to it, whenever the world catches on. As Matthew Odam's passenger put it, before closing the car door and taking off toward the Menil's lawn and into legend: “Houston is cool because Houston doesn't give a ____ about being cool.”

Brett Martin is a GQ correspondent."

I omitted a particular word, but I imagine you can guess what it was. Read the whole thing if you want, I found it interesting.

https://www-gq-com.cdn.ampproject.or...-southern-cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston