Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 AM

132 posts, read 95,140 times

Advertisements

Is it jealousy? If so Why?

Why can't you be happy a Texas city is representing Texas so well?

I've done research on the Texas forum. And out of the top 4 cities it's Houston with the most hate threads, it seems.

Why? Why not support Houston.

I guess that old saying "if they all love you, you're doing something wrong" is true.

It really hurts my heart that we get bashed so much. Houston has been good to me and I'm ready to defend it.

What's up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
It isnt. Its just you.

Houston has the most threads of all Texas cities period. Therefore it gets more positive and negative threads. Its the biggest city so of course its going to have the most threads anyway.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:05 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Houston is where Texas started. Most of the Anglos who settled a sparsely populated Mexican province started around Brazoria County and northeast (roughly by US-59/future IH-69, which is one of the routes to Mexico City still in use today) to the U.S. border in Arkansas. (San Antonio was pretty much the rough extension of Nuevo León and the sister city to Monterrey--like Dallas is to Houston.)

By the time of statehood, most of the population was heavily centered on Galveston (literally the Manhattan of the South) and the state legislature wanted to spread the population to other parts of the state. The 1900 Hurricane re-centered the metro from Galveston to Houston. San Antonio was the largest city into the early 20th century, with Dallas taking the title for a short time, then Houston after the port was completed and the Energy industry was settled into Texas.

Somehow the I-35 corridor inexplicably developed into a megalopolis. Houston eventually became the only major city/metro along the coast in the South. The oil money created cultural institutions unmatched anywhere else in Texas. The Energy Industry introduced Houston to the global economy before globalization was the rage. This also brought with it ethnic diversity from the various parts of the world that the energy industry made contact. You could find Saudi Arabian sheikhs (and their wives!!!) here shopping at the Galleria Neiman Marcus but an Angolan classmate of mine probably checked them out.

BTW I saw a documentary about Angola's king adopting Catholicism in 1491 (pre-Reformation, 1517 was 26 years away!!!). Wow, this makes it the first or at least one of the oldest Christian countries in Africa.

Last edited by KerrTown; 08-08-2018 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 02:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
A lot of non Texans moved there

Old 08-08-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
A lot of non Texans moved there
A lot more non-Texas still from the US move to Dallas than Houston. Houston actually has a higher in-state birth rate than Dallas despite having a larger international immigrant population. Dallas has a whole heck of a lot more Californians than Houston.

Either way this concept is ridiculous. Everyone thinks their city is constantly under attack and it isnt. Its a form of civic narcissism.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston is where Texas started. Most of the Anglos who settled a sparsely populated Mexican province started around Brazoria County and northeast (roughly by US-59/future IH-69, which is one of the routes to Mexico City still in use today) to the U.S. border in Arkansas. (San Antonio was pretty much the rough extension of Nuevo León and the sister city to Monterrey--like Dallas is to Houston.)

By the time of statehood, most of the population was heavily centered on Galveston (literally the Manhattan of the South) and the state legislature wanted to spread the population to other parts of the state. The 1900 Hurricane re-centered the metro from Galveston to Houston. San Antonio was the largest city into the early 20th century, with Dallas taking the title for a short time, then Houston after the port was completed and the Energy industry was settled into Texas.

Somehow the I-35 corridor inexplicably developed into a megalopolis. Houston eventually became the only major city/metro along the coast in the South. The oil money created cultural institutions unmatched anywhere else in Texas. The Energy Industry introduced Houston to the global economy before globalization was the rage. This also brought with it ethnic diversity from the various parts of the world that the energy industry made contact. You could find Saudi Arabian sheikhs (and their wives!!!) here shopping at the Galleria Neiman Marcus but an Angolan classmate of mine probably checked them out.

BTW I saw a documentary about Angola's king adopting Catholicism in 1491 (pre-Reformation, 1517 was 26 years away!!!). Wow, this makes it the first or at least one of the oldest Christian countries in Africa.

Nice post but this part has been a myth for a while. Galveston had a sizeable population but was only 3-4k larger than Houston in 1900 before the hurricane that year. Keep in mind areas like Montrose, the Heights, etc., weren't even in the city limits at that time so the general areas was definitely larger than Galveston. Houston was destined to pass it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
A lot more non-Texas still from the US move to Dallas than Houston. Houston actually has a higher in-state birth rate than Dallas despite having a larger international immigrant population.

Either way this concept is ridiculous. Everyone thinks their city is constantly under attack and it isnt. Its a form of civic narcissism.

Houston has a higher overall birth rate than DFW, despite being smaller by about 700,000 people.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Houston has a higher overall birth rate than DFW, despite being smaller by about 700,000 people.
Im not that surprised. Houston is 8% more Hispanic and stats dictate that Hispanics have the highest birth rate.

DFW has more "born in the US, but outside of Texas" residents than Houston by a good amount:

Total transplant population:
01. Washington/Baltimore, DC-MD-VA-WV (CSA): 3,542,688
02. New York (CSA): 3,417,344
03. Los Angeles (CSA): 2,816,721
04. Atlanta (CSA): 2,150,353
05. Phoenix (MSA): 2,066,290
06. Boston (CSA): 1,862,982
07. Dallas/Fort Worth (CSA): 1,812,483
08. Chicago (CSA): 1,772,564
09. Philadelphia (CSA): 1,586,562
10. Seattle (CSA): 1,583,956
11. Miami (MSA): 1,538,231
12. San Francisco Bay Area (CSA): 1,432,952
13. Tampa (MSA): 1,386,810
14. Denver (CSA): 1,386,050
15. Houston (CSA): 1,332,151
16. Orlando (CSA): 1,307,418
17. Minneapolis/Saint Paul (CSA): 891,496
18. Detroit (CSA): 878,299
19. San Diego (MSA): 858,053

When broken down further, DFW and Houston have similar transplant numbers from the Southern US and Northeastern US, DFW just has way more from the Western US and Midwestern US.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:57 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Yeah DFW has long had more domestic migration numbers than Houston collectively (Houston may beat it a year here or there, but added up over a decade and DFW is always higher). Houston has had larger international migration and natural increase (more births-deaths in raw numbers). If Houston was more put together (as in, the unincorporated areas were instead cities), I think that the domestic migrations numbers would be even higher since Houston would be more put together which would attract more companies from the Midwest or West.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Yeah DFW has long had more domestic migration numbers than Houston collectively (Houston may beat it a year here or there, but added up over a decade and DFW is always higher). Houston has had larger international migration and natural increase (more births-deaths in raw numbers). If Houston was more put together (as in, the unincorporated areas were instead cities), I think that the domestic migrations numbers would be even higher since Houston would be more put together which would attract more companies from the Midwest or West.
My pie in the sky dream is that Houston can attract more non-Oil and Gas businesses. Thats one area where we need improvement. DFW is white hot with corporate re-locations and thats something I think we could tap into but not with the current style of thinking around here. Houston can be too laid back at times.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:28 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times
Houston is shining and other cities wish they were. It's bad when most of the hate comes from fellow Texas cities, but who cares? I say the other cities need to step up and maybe they can reach Houston's notoriety. Dallas is about the only competitor Houston has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston