U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 AM

31 posts, read 18,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Flooding occurred in many different parts of the city, but in general along the bayous that run from the Northwest to the Southeast. Additionally the two reservoirs that flooded are just north and south of I-10, on the western side of town near Highway 6..... be especially cautious about homes in those areas.

Because Houston is such a geographically large city, most people narrow down their search for a home by what is a reasonable commute to where they work...less than half of employment in Houston is in the downtown area........and you cant reasonably commute from every home to every workplace.

If you could narrow it down a bit by your interests, needs, industry in which you work...it would be easier to give you recommendations.

here is a map on HAR.com that lists all houses under $200,000, a place to start

https://www.har.com/mapsearch/?map_t...ice_max=200000
Thanks for this.

I am actually a semi-retired disabled military vet. So work commute won't be any concern.

My biggest concern is being out in the boondocks surrounded by nothing but families. In which case, I'd become a prisoner in my own home (which I guess isn't all that bad if its a nice home). But being 39, single, and with no kids...I would like to be around the same demographic of people.

But on the other hand, a quiet place with a large backyard that could also become a longterm investment property if I decide Houston isn't for me, are my main priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 12:34 PM

9,778 posts, read 7,644,489 times
We first bought in a very small suburban subdivision that was 20 years old. There were only 2 families with kids. We moved years later to an age in place smaller house in a 20 year old subdivision near 290@ 1960. There is one family with kids on my block. Half the block is singles.

IMO, that is typical of Houston.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:36 PM

12,376 posts, read 6,865,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfraser04 View Post
Thanks for this.

I am actually a semi-retired disabled military vet. So work commute won't be any concern.

My biggest concern is being out in the boondocks surrounded by nothing but families. In which case, I'd become a prisoner in my own home (which I guess isn't all that bad if its a nice home). But being 39, single, and with no kids...I would like to be around the same demographic of people.

But on the other hand, a quiet place with a large backyard that could also become a longterm investment property if I decide Houston isn't for me, are my main priorities.
What are you looking to do with your time and will you be trying to find work. Do you need frequent access to the VA hospital or one of it's branches? If I were disabled, single and had no kids I'd be looking to get the hell away from the city and even the suburbs. The first thing I did out of the service was sold my cookie cutter suburb track home and bought some land North of Houston and moved my family away from the city. I don't have to deal with jackass NIMBY neighbors, major crime or traffic. We're still close enough to access Houston or the other suburban areas North of town for anything we want or need but we're far enough away that I can burn tree limbs without the fire dept. showing up, shoot something on my property without the cops showing up and people generally leave us alone.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:39 PM

4,516 posts, read 11,309,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfraser04 View Post
A lot of the homes say "NO FLOODING". And most are farther north (I am guessing that is quite a drive to downtown).

I am single, with no kids, and just my pup as my sole responsibility. With that said, I would need to be around somewhere that has easy access to social events and other single people my age (39).

The house below would be $500k easily in Las Vegas. And a yard this size would be next to impossible to find.

https://www.har.com/275-wood-circle-lane/sale_21848378
That house is a flood house most likely right on the water. Also the east side of Houston is full of chemical refinery plants so air pollution is a real issue which is why prices tend to drop as you move east. Also bars on the door is not a good sign in Houston as to quality of the neighborhood.

When you say in "Las Vegas" I'm not sure if you are comparing apples and oranges. Although these areas are "Houston" They are far flung suburban sprawl in flood prone areas. Here is a similar sized but not as nice house in actual Houston proper, desirable area which costs twice as much: https://www.har.com/s/892D3C8d74be1D

As you can see houses are just as expensive here as Vegas for anything desirable. Cheap houses will typically be in areas with nothing to do and a long drive to get anywhere. Not trying to rain on your parade just want you to be realistic about what you can get here.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:08 PM

7,827 posts, read 10,349,004 times
Don't forget that part of the reason the home prices are cheap is that taxes are high. You will pay almost as much for property tax as you do for P&I on a home. That being said, if you are 100% disabled, the state issues you a property tax exemption on your homestead.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:14 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,291,765 times
House flooded. Owner walked away, let it go into foreclosure, or sold it to the "we buy ugly houses" people.

"WBUH" people "update" flooded house and are flipping it.

They'll be there next time it floods to do it all over again.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:30 PM

31 posts, read 18,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Don't forget that part of the reason the home prices are cheap is that taxes are high. You will pay almost as much for property tax as you do for P&I on a home. That being said, if you are 100% disabled, the state issues you a property tax exemption on your homestead.
I am 100% VA disability (IU). That is one of the main reason I am interested in Houston.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:29 AM

14,806 posts, read 18,801,729 times
Make sure to use this page to avoid flood zones
Harris County Flood Education Mapping Tool

Old 08-11-2018, 06:58 AM

8,950 posts, read 14,083,351 times
That subdivision is not prone to flooding. That particular house does, however, back up to a bayou. Keeping future storms like Harvey in mind, I would now pass on a house backing up to a bayou.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:26 AM

1,662 posts, read 2,862,037 times
I used to live in Vegas. Here in Houston you have to factor in property taxes, they are outrageous. Just figure on about 3%, where in Vegas you are paying less than 1%. So on a 200K home, that's an extra $500 per month just in taxes. Nevada has a better tax structure as there are no State income taxes and low property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston