U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 06:46 PM

13,026 posts, read 5,415,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
If they are all relevant, why did you single out Obama? Did he and other presidents have a zero tolerance policy?
Because he was the last guy, and it was the first time when the unaccompanied minors came en masse. It was also where we first started seeing photos of children in detention centers, or cages if you prefer. And yet no one was upset about that.

Even Obama’s Homeland Department Secretary said they did it too. Here’s a video.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...necessary.html

Old 08-14-2018, 07:30 PM

15,307 posts, read 16,867,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Because he was the last guy, and it was the first time when the unaccompanied minors came en masse. It was also where we first started seeing photos of children in detention centers, or cages if you prefer. And yet no one was upset about that.

Even Obama’s Homeland Department Secretary said they did it too. Here’s a video.

Of course people were and are upset about that, but.....

Unaccompanied minors are NOT the same as children who came with their family and then were separated from that family and caged. The unaccompanied minors were also mostly teens not little children. The children separated from their parents were as young as 1 year old.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...border-n889301

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Government lawyers said Friday that they cannot locate the parents of 38 migrant children under the age of 5, as a federal judge indicated he is open to extending the deadline for reuniting nearly 3,000 children separated from their mothers and fathers while crossing the US-Mexico border.

In a status hearing with U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw of the Southern District of California, who ordered the reunification, government lawyers said the Health and Human Services Department would only be able to reunify about half of approximately 100 children under the age of 5 by the court-ordered deadline of July 10.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...stfeeding-baby

Quote:
One of the most horrifying tales of family separation came last week in a CNN report of an undocumented migrant from Honduras whose daughter was taken away by federal immigration agents while she was breastfeeding in a detention center. When the mother tried to resist arrest, she was handcuffed, according to her lawyer Natalia Cornelio.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 PM

867 posts, read 595,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

Again, I did not dispute that families weren’t separated during Obama’s administration. I asked you: did he or previous administrations have a zero tolerance policy where all families with young children were separated?

Old 08-14-2018, 09:08 PM

12,518 posts, read 6,903,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
If they are all relevant, why did you single out Obama? Did he and other presidents have a zero tolerance policy?
We elected Trump to enforce our constantly abused immigration laws, that’s all his admin has done. Have congress change the laws if you don’t want them enforced, the American people said we wanted them enforced on Nov 8th 2016.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I have a sincere question. Where do you generally get your news from?
CNN, MSNBC and this forum why?

Old 08-14-2018, 09:50 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,553,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
CNN, MSNBC and this forum why?
Strange. I thought most folks would rely on other sources as well. I like NPR, NY Times, Washington Post, Mother Jones. I think they have objective reporting.

Although I agree with a lot of what I hear on MSNBC, it does tend to lean left so you can be caught in an echo chamber which I’m sure you agree is not a good thing.

I mean some people rely only on Fox for their “news”. Can you believe it?

Old 08-14-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Strange. I thought most folks would rely on other sources as well. I like NPR, NY Times, Washington Post, Mother Jones. I think they have objective reporting.

Although I agree with a lot of what I hear on MSNBC, it does tend to lean left so you can be caught in an echo chamber which I’m sure you agree is not a good thing.

I mean some people rely only on Fox for their “news”. Can you believe it?
Sorry, I thought you'd catch the sarcasm.

Maybe I should have added Mother Jones, Vox, Salon.com, Slate, Snopes, The Rolling Stone and a whole bunch of other left winger news sources that most leftist look to for "objective" reporting.

I don't get any of my info from TV, that includes Fox News... but I'm sure you were only asking to back up your biased, preconceived notions about me anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Sorry, I thought you'd catch the sarcasm.

Maybe I should have added Mother Jones, Vox, Salon.com, Slate, Snopes, The Rolling Stone and a whole bunch of other left winger news sources that most leftist look to for "objective" reporting.

I don't get any of my info from TV, that includes Fox News... but I'm sure you were only asking to back up your biased, preconceived notions about me anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I thought you'd catch the sarcasm too. You still didn't tell me where you get your news.

Snopes left wing? I guess because Snopes shows that most of your fake news isn't fake?

Old 08-15-2018, 06:04 AM

Back to the topic though. It was a terrible business decision and illustrates how out of touch the owner is. That said, plenty of people will keep eating their overpriced food and this will be long forgotten in a few weeks.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 AM

9,814 posts, read 7,669,557 times
Previous administrations did detain unaccompanied children.

They put the ankle monitors on parents who came with children, catch and release' The families could stay together in the country until their court date.

Jeff Sessions and Trump started that. It is part of their good cop, bad cop routine.

El Tiempo owners should understand the nuance.

I don't care about their food or a boycott because my family prefers Teotihuacan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or