Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 12:58 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I was puzzled by this because I am one person, not a group of people, and I never expressed the desire to shut anyone's business down. I supported an individual's choice of where to eat tacos. That's a very different position. Perhaps you could try to engage in a better informed, better directed form of rhetoric.
I agree with you 100% but there are many on the left today who do want to take this past a personal boycott where they actually harm or shut down this business. Whether it's protesting, threats, fake online reviews, causing scenes or even attacks on customers there are many on the left who want to hurt or shut these businesses down no matter what it takes.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:19 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The US Border Patrol was forced to temporarily close some of the ports of entry to asylum seekers because they couldn't handle the increased numbers of people claiming asylum. We simply couldn't process the numbers that were showing up so some people were told to come back when the flood of people had been processed. This is all because the quantity of people claiming asylum has increased 3 fold in the last year or 2, these people have figured out the game because they're being coached on the Mexico side of the border by groups who help them exploit our immigration laws and policies. All of a sudden everyone was seeking asylum, it's complete BS. If you live in Guatemala or El Salvador you don't walk 2500 miles across Mexico just to arrive at a US border checkpoint because you're looking for safety, you're looking for a job, a place to have your child, some social program money and free education for your kids while you collect welfare on their behalf.

The United States cannot afford to feed, clothe, house and protect the poor of the world on top of the aid we already give to other countries.
You can tell yourself this all day long but it's simply not the truth. But I'm not going to convince you. I just want the record to be clear.

Also, the US CAN afford to spend more on the "poor of the world".

"As a percent of GDP, however, U.S. aid spending ranks near the bottom of all developed countries. It accounts for 0.17 percent of GDP, twentieth out of twenty-eight countries measured by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)".

Source: https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/how...ts-foreign-aid

"The U.S. is pretty generous ... until you consider how much money it has. "On the one hand, you can say that the U.S. is the most generous because it is one of the biggest donators to foreign aid," says Phyllis Pomerantz, a professor of public policy at Duke University. "But on the other hand, we have one of the lowest percentages of gross national income donated to foreign aid," she says."

Source: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...id-guess-again

Old 08-15-2018, 01:22 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100% but there are many on the left today who do want to take this past a personal boycott where they actually harm or shut down this business. Whether it's protesting, threats, fake online reviews, causing scenes or even attacks on customers there are many on the left who want to hurt or shut these businesses down no matter what it takes.
Fine, and there are extremists on the right as well, who do things like carry tiki torches to white supremacy rallies. Don't paint "the left" like it's a bunch of loonies if you're not going to take ownership of every nut job on the right.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:35 PM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
How many are on CD, here, now?

We live in a free market capitalist society. Part of that means individuals can spend our money any place we want. It does not mean we have to be an informed or even educated consumer.

Spending one's money with people who share our concerns is the American way. I never heard anybody wanting to shut that business down. That would be a waste of time. After what Pappas and Shipley did, and it didn't make a dent in their business. They expanded. Tells me Houston loves employers of undocumented people.

Some of us object to our government using our tax dollars to gin up some phony problem on the border in order to separate little kids from their parents, and then lie about it Think what you want about the parents. It is not the fault of a toddler or pre schooler. Sessions was looking for a deterrent and he found one.

Wonder how many illegals are working in the kitchen at Ninfa's and El Tiempo? Have they been audited for I-9 compliance?

Old 08-15-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Fine, and there are extremists on the right as well, who do things like carry tiki torches to white supremacy rallies. Don't paint "the left" like it's a bunch of loonies if you're not going to take ownership of every nut job on the right.
I don't deny that there are nut jobs on both sides but the owner of this restaurant didn't host a KKK rally, he fed the US Attorney General who was in town for an event. He did nothing whatsoever wrong and people on the left want to destroy him for it.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
You can tell yourself this all day long but it's simply not the truth. But I'm not going to convince you. I just want the record to be clear.

Also, the US CAN afford to spend more on the "poor of the world".

"As a percent of GDP, however, U.S. aid spending ranks near the bottom of all developed countries. It accounts for 0.17 percent of GDP, twentieth out of twenty-eight countries measured by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)".

Source: https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/how...ts-foreign-aid

"The U.S. is pretty generous ... until you consider how much money it has. "On the one hand, you can say that the U.S. is the most generous because it is one of the biggest donators to foreign aid," says Phyllis Pomerantz, a professor of public policy at Duke University. "But on the other hand, we have one of the lowest percentages of gross national income donated to foreign aid," she says."

Source: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...id-guess-again
The record is very clear, we are in debt up to our eyeballs and we have a crumbling infrastructure that will cost trillions to correct or rebuild. We also have poor and impoverished citizens here in the US, we shouldn't spend a single US tax dollar helping the world's poor until every homeless and hungry American is cared for. We aren't a wealthy nation by accident, citizenship and immigration should be treated as a way to improve our nation while helping people who need it.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:03 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
The record is very clear, we are in debt up to our eyeballs and we have a crumbling infrastructure that will cost trillions to correct or rebuild. We also have poor and impoverished citizens here in the US, we shouldn't spend a single US tax dollar helping the world's poor until every homeless and hungry American is cared for. We aren't a wealthy nation by accident, citizenship and immigration should be treated as a way to improve our nation while helping people who need it.
Maybe a trillion dollar tax cut for the wealthiest among us will help?

Old 08-15-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
How many are on CD, here, now?

We live in a free market capitalist society. Part of that means individuals can spend our money any place we want. It does not mean we have to be an informed or even educated consumer.

Spending one's money with people who share our concerns is the American way. I never heard anybody wanting to shut that business down. That would be a waste of time. After what Pappas and Shipley did, and it didn't make a dent in their business. They expanded. Tells me Houston loves employers of undocumented people.

Some of us object to our government using our tax dollars to gin up some phony problem on the border in order to separate little kids from their parents, and then lie about it Think what you want about the parents. It is not the fault of a toddler or pre schooler. Sessions was looking for a deterrent and he found one.

Wonder how many illegals are working in the kitchen at Ninfa's and El Tiempo? Have they been audited for I-9 compliance?
Why are you asking me a bunch of questions that none of us could possibly answer? We disagree on just about every talking point you just shared but I defend your right to say all of it.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Maybe a trillion dollar tax cut for the wealthiest among us will help?
My family is going to save about $4200 in taxes this year because of the tax cut that Americans received, I'm certainly not one of the wealthiest among us so I got a tax cut just like you and your family did. You can deny it all you want but if you were paying income tax you got a cut. You're welcome from the GOP.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:21 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
My family is going to save about $4200 in taxes this year because of the tax cut that Americans received, I'm certainly not one of the wealthiest among us so I got a tax cut just like you and your family did. You can deny it all you want but if you were paying income tax you got a cut. You're welcome from the GOP.
If the Dems gave out that much "free stuff" without a way to pay for it you would freak out. Am I wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston