U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,209 times

Advertisements

Yes - we are considering moving next June - For 6th-grade admission September 2019, they just opened admission.
I'm not sure that I like what you say about this school ... we both went to "public" (aka private schools in the Uk) and even if those schools were private, money doesn't buy you entrance, nor being handicapped or a minority (??), it looks like we left a class difference ridden England for a country where people have even more "privileges" :-)

We know one of my husband's colleagues in Houston who has kids at SJS school, should we ask for a letter of recommendation?

We have lots of expats friends with kids at Awty and the stories we hear aren't couraging (apparently Awty has drug problems and the college admissions are hit or miss with very few kids going to Ivy or equivalent colleges), we will check into the British school!

Is Bellair public HS a good HS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 05:27 PM

218 posts, read 210,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgs_H View Post
Yes - we are considering moving next June - For 6th-grade admission September 2019, they just opened admission.
I'm not sure that I like what you say about this school ... we both went to "public" (aka private schools in the Uk) and even if those schools were private, money doesn't buy you entrance, nor being handicapped or a minority (??), it looks like we left a class difference ridden England for a country where people have even more "privileges" :-)
Just wanted to share this if you’re interested: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...m-the-uk-or-us

There’s also a book titled Dream Hoarders by a British guy that talks about this.

All the best with your search!

Old 08-12-2018, 06:18 PM

1,131 posts, read 518,009 times
Quote:

We know one of my husband's colleagues in Houston who has kids at SJS school, should we ask for a letter of recommendation?

We have lots of expats friends with kids at Awty and the stories we hear aren't couraging (apparently Awty has drug problems and the college admissions are hit or miss with very few kids going to Ivy or equivalent colleges), we will check into the British school!

Is Bellair public HS a good HS?
Money always buys privilege.

The drug problems at private schools will be similar, some are just better at hiding it.

Bellaire is a decent school, but you need to live in the attendance zone to guarantee admittance.

Ivy league schools are over-rated, you can get an education as good or better at many other schools. What the Ivies bring is connections.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:46 PM

3,569 posts, read 4,197,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77030 View Post
They will tell you at the end of the day, it's a "numbers game"... What they don't tell you is that the numbers have a dollar sign in front of them.

If you are willing to step up to the plate and commit a large endowment for the school, I am sure they will find a space for you. Otherwise, if your kid is "just" smart, not an athlete, minority, handicapped, or in some other way "special", and you don't have any friends on the inside lobbying for you, I don't like your odds. Don't care how smart your kid is...
I disagree with this. Our daughter went to SJS. We offered no money, have no special connections, she is definitely not an athlete or minority. She's just a smart kid.

As we made friends with other parents, we discovered many like us. Not big shots, not 1%ers, just decent people with smart kids. Sure, there were plenty of rich families there. And I'm sure they gave lots of money. But there were a lot of "regular" people too. Honestly, I was amazed at the variety of families with kids at SJS. And for many of them, they had one kid at SJS, and others at different schools. Just because you have one kid who deserves a school like St. John's, doesn't mean all your kids will do well there.

So don't buy these stories that only special or rich kids get in. It's. Not. True.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:42 AM

43 posts, read 19,995 times
St. John's and Kinkaid are both great schools and despite what you may be hearing, I would encourage you to take a look, but don't limit your search there. Both schools are known for their rigorous academic environments as well as their selectivity in the Admissions Process. Definitely visit, go to their Open Houses and talk to current parents and peers. As for asking for letters of support -I'll be honest, usually they will not matter much unless you know "the right family." Who is the right family? -A family who has a legacy at the school, is in great standing for their service to the school, and/or if they're a major or very high-end, consistent donor.

What other options do you have? Well the great thing is you still have time on your side. Consider the public school options in the areas where you might want to live. Also, to find more private schools check out: https://www.houstonprivateschools.org/ -you can search by geographical area, whether the school is single-sex or co-ed, has any affiliations or learning type of environments,etc. Another great opportunity if you're in town is to visit the Houston Private School Preview Fair (it will be Sunday October 28th from 2-4 at Strake Jesuit's campus) . Many of the schools will be represented and you can get facetime with many Admissions Directors all in one place.

If you and your child have the ability, I would encourage you to visit campuses, go during Open House, but if possible get a small group tour or a personal tour. If students can shadow at the school you're interested in, have your son spend the day/ half-day there. Tell him to think about the following: "What are the classes like?" "What are the other students like?" "Would I be challenged here?" "Could I see myself here?" and most importantly, I think, "Will I be happy here?"

I wish you all the best as you go through this tough, long but worthwhile process. You're not alone.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 AM

201 posts, read 131,804 times
Quote:
it looks like we left a class difference ridden England for a country where people have even more "privileges" :-)
Most definitely!

Quote:
apparently Awty has drug problems
They all do. The kids at SJS and Kinkaid can just afford better drugs

Old 08-13-2018, 08:54 AM

43 posts, read 19,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77030 View Post
Most definitely!

They all do. The kids at SJS and Kinkaid can just afford better drugs

Actually it's a sad reality in the public and private schools today. I hear from a lot of parents who want to take their children out of public school and put them in private school to avoid "the drug problem..." Unfortunately, drugs are available in public and private schools. Just as 77030 said, the kids in the private schools usually just have the ability to afford more of "the good stuff"... I personally think that kids need to feel comfortable dealing with peer pressure because it will exist to a certain degree no matter where a student attends, but I think it's something parents should ask school administration and other parents and students about. Ask them about their policy on punishment for drugs. Ask them what they're doing to combat the problem, because no matter the school, it's there -it's just helpful to know whether a school acknowledges and is addressing it or if they're just sweeping it under the rug.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:24 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,230,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I disagree with this. Our daughter went to SJS. We offered no money, have no special connections, she is definitely not an athlete or minority. She's just a smart kid.

As we made friends with other parents, we discovered many like us. Not big shots, not 1%ers, just decent people with smart kids. Sure, there were plenty of rich families there. And I'm sure they gave lots of money. But there were a lot of "regular" people too. Honestly, I was amazed at the variety of families with kids at SJS. And for many of them, they had one kid at SJS, and others at different schools. Just because you have one kid who deserves a school like St. John's, doesn't mean all your kids will do well there.

So don't buy these stories that only special or rich kids get in. It's. Not. True.
Don't ever forget that private schools are a business. Sometimes just paying the full tuition is enough to make the difference in the mix.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:56 AM

273 posts, read 239,685 times
other options you should look at wold include Strake Jesuit, St. Thomas, Episcopal, Second Baptist, and if you decide to live the The Woodlands - John Cooper. All will have curriculum to challenge your son.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:00 AM

336 posts, read 318,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memorialite View Post
You should consider the British School, Awty, & the Village School.

I agree that you should add those schools to your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or