U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:12 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,735,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROON79 View Post
yep, and I'm in conversations quite often where its asked how everyone knows each other and some respond, that they have known each other since the first grade at Kinkaid, SJS. There is definitely some networking due to attending those and some other school. And if the kid wants to go to UT and do the greek deal, it's for sure a leg up.
I'll grant you the UT Greek stuff - I'm a Kinkaid grad, without any family UT alums, and still got invites to RoundUp anyway starting in my junior year. My parents forbade me to go, knowing what goes on (well what went on in the 1980s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 06:27 PM
bu2

9,077 posts, read 5,777,217 times
Drug problems wax and wane at schools. They aren't the same everywhere and they aren't the same each year at the same school. It all depends on the cohort going through. 2 years later it could be completely different.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:34 PM

2,730 posts, read 3,825,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgs_H View Post
Yes - we are considering moving next June - For 6th-grade admission September 2019, they just opened admission.
I'm not sure that I like what you say about this school ... we both went to "public" (aka private schools in the Uk) and even if those schools were private, money doesn't buy you entrance, nor being handicapped or a minority (??), it looks like we left a class difference ridden England for a country where people have even more "privileges" :-)

We know one of my husband's colleagues in Houston who has kids at SJS school, should we ask for a letter of recommendation?

We have lots of expats friends with kids at Awty and the stories we hear aren't couraging (apparently Awty has drug problems and the college admissions are hit or miss with very few kids going to Ivy or equivalent colleges), we will check into the British school!

Is Bellair public HS a good HS?

The drug problems at a school like that are we got into Dr. Daddy's meds and we're popping Xanax and Oxycodin and passing out Adderall to friends so they can focus on the next major test.

None are good but that's a far cry from public school "drug" problems of the illegal sort. Most moms at those schools have a prescription for Xanax most likely anyway. People with $$$$$ always seems to have some kind of "prescription" for something.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 PM

3,661 posts, read 4,269,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Most moms at those schools have a prescription for Xanax most likely anyway. People with $$$$$ always seems to have some kind of "prescription" for something.
Stereotype much?

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:21 AM

861 posts, read 1,291,851 times
This discussion has veered off topic which was to determine where the OP should apply to private middle school as a new resident of Houston. Your child should also apply to River Oaks Baptist, St. Francis, and Annunciation Orthodox School. St. Francis in the Memorial area is a good private middle school option, and St. Francis is expanding to start a high school. Several St. Francis kids enter Kinkaid at 9th grade every year. River Oaks Baptist School is a another good private middle school. Several of its top graduates matriculate into St. John's and Kinkaid each year at 9th grade. Same with AOS. My daughter attended ROBS for middle and Kinkaid for high school. She is at Rice University now. There are legions of applicants to the top private schools that are ready, willing, and able to pay the tuition so that factor will not help your child gain admission.

Last edited by KatieKennedy; 09-06-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-06-2018, 07:42 PM
ptt

404 posts, read 405,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
This discussion has veered off topic which was to determine where the OP should apply to private middle school as a new resident of Houston. Your child should also apply to River Oaks Baptist, St. Francis, and Annunciation Orthodox School. St. Francis in the Memorial area is a good private middle school option, and St. Francis is expanding to start a high school. Several St. Francis kids enter Kinkaid at 9th grade every year. River Oaks Baptist School is a another good private middle school. Several of its top graduates matriculate into St. John's and Kinkaid each year at 9th grade. Same with AOS. My daughter attended ROBS for middle and Kinkaid for high school. She is at Rice University now. There are legions of applicants to the top private schools that are ready, willing, and able to pay the tuition so that factor will not help your child gain admission.
Wow! Time flies. I remembered reading your post about getting your daughter into st. John or kinkaid like yesterday! Congratulations 🎊🎉🎈 you must be so proud:-)

Old 09-07-2018, 06:09 AM

861 posts, read 1,291,851 times
Thank you, ptt. It seems like yesterday I was dropping her off for the first day of Kindergarten, and now she is in college. This forum was very helpful to me when we were going through school searches. I hope our collective experience can help others going through the same thing..

Old 11-25-2018, 09:31 PM

10 posts, read 1,153 times
If you can get into St. Johnís - do it. It is the most challenging academic school in Houston, and a school for smart kids.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 1,913 times
Take a look at the St. Constantine School:
Home - saintconstantine.org

It's a classical school with PreK-College students. Socratic method of instruction and lots of very challenging work for gifted students.

It's not for every kid, but we have a gifted 6th grader and are planning on enrolling her there when we move to Houston. We've been very impressed with classes observed and with the people we have talked to there.

Old Today, 08:29 AM

4,322 posts, read 7,947,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanp View Post
Take a look at the St. Constantine School:
Home - saintconstantine.org

It's a classical school with PreK-College students. Socratic method of instruction and lots of very challenging work for gifted students.

It's not for every kid, but we have a gifted 6th grader and are planning on enrolling her there when we move to Houston. We've been very impressed with classes observed and with the people we have talked to there.
Never heard of it before! Thanks for the info!

I looked at the website and saw this: Which is More Radical? - saintconstantine.org

Quote:
Which is more radical: a school with thousands of kids inundating the halls each time the bell rings, or a school of a few hundred students who use the clock to help each other get to class on time?
By all means it would be more radical, though I'm not sure that would work on a student body in a school where they cannot (under most circumstances) get rid of students they don't want -- i.e. traditional public schools. I understand that the purpose of the site is to promote the school, but some honesty about the scale-ability of their education model would be good.

I imagine it is a gread model since places like Alief Kerr High School have self-study programs for dedicated students.

Also:

Quote:
Which is more radical: to keep students rotating through classes at 47-minute intervals, or to allow 75 minutes for in-depth discussion?
This is why I prefer block scheduling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or