U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,207 times

Advertisements

We are currently in the process of relocating to Houston. We are looking for a Middle School with grade 6 entrance for our son.

He's in a very selective gifted public school where we live now.
We've been told that Houston gifted school are oversubscribed and by lottery only, so we are looking at the private schools.

I've read some posts here talking about St Johns and Kinkaid, and it looks like they are looking for kids who are good at sports or extracurricular?
My son is very good at school (he just finished 8th grade math program during his 5th grade year, tested in the top 0.1% in the standard test administrated by our current state and he wrote and published his own book) but he's not into sports or other extracurricular activities, he just loves study and learn ... my husband is from England and over there, people are much more relaxed about extracurricular activities and kids education (also, colleges don't offer scholarship for sports), so we never insisted on extracurricular activities and just let him do what he likes.

We are looking for a more academically advanced and challenging school, and both St Johns and Kinkaid feel like old-money, sports, and extracurricular oriented school? I'm not sure if we are a good fit or if our son has a chance? I don't know where he could go otherwise?

We wouldn't need any financial assistance - does it help?

Thanks so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 06:57 AM

3,567 posts, read 4,195,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgs_H View Post
We are looking for a more academically advanced and challenging school, and both St Johns and Kinkaid feel like old-money, sports, and extracurricular oriented school?
I can address St. John's. It is the most challenging academic school in Houston. Their bell curve runs from 50% to 100% on the gifted scale.

Yes, it is old money, and yes, like all schools, they want more than just smart. So yes, extracurricular is a draw, as are other traits. But bottom line... it is a school for smart kids.

They offer Legacy admission. If your parents or sibs went, you can probably get in. But once you start attending, if it turns out you are not SJS material, they will talk to the parents and make it clear that another school would be a better option for that kid.

There are other schools that are also very strong academically. I won't name them for fear of leaving out a good one. But I can assure you, there is no better school for gifted students than SJS.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:00 AM

3,567 posts, read 4,195,255 times
I meant to add, the admission rate is below 20%. In that 80% rejection are a lot of very smart, very talented, very deserving kids. They simply don't have room for all the kids who qualify.

And if you want to compare academic credentials, look at the percent of National Merit Scholars. No other school comes close.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:52 AM

144 posts, read 141,002 times
You should consider the British School, Awty, & the Village School.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:11 AM

938 posts, read 2,108,972 times
Unless you’re planning to move next year,
My guess is that it’s too late to apply. School year is just about to begin

Old 08-12-2018, 12:33 PM

201 posts, read 131,640 times
St. John's and Kinkaid are both good schools. They get tons of applications from kids that are as smart as your kid, or smarter.

They do really value sports, so have a jock genius is a bonus.

They will tell you at the end of the day, it's a "numbers game"... What they don't tell you is that the numbers have a dollar sign in front of them.

If you are willing to step up to the plate and commit a large endowment for the school, I am sure they will find a space for you. Otherwise, if your kid is "just" smart, not an athlete, minority, handicapped, or in some other way "special", and you don't have any friends on the inside lobbying for you, I don't like your odds. Don't care how smart your kid is...

Your lack of a need for financial assistance is cute. Financial assistance is only for minorities and super talented athletes...

Old 08-12-2018, 01:06 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,854,745 times
Buying a kid a spot in a school doesn’t sound like the kind of school that I would want my kids at in the first place. Then again they aren’t special snowflakes in the first place. Sheesh.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:17 PM

2,038 posts, read 2,187,453 times
My former boss was a big donor there at Kinkaid. Both his kids go there of course. He even got his longtime assistant a spot at Kinkaid for her kid.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:01 PM
bu2

8,967 posts, read 5,662,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Buying a kid a spot in a school doesnít sound like the kind of school that I would want my kids at in the first place. Then again they arenít special snowflakes in the first place. Sheesh.
With enough money you can buy a spot in nearly any school. Its just that a Harvard costs more than a Houston Baptist.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:34 PM

201 posts, read 131,640 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_4ocoJDVD8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or