U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 03:38 PM

33,605 posts, read 51,826,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
Ride a bike...stop polluting out of boredom.
... and get killed? Outside parks and trails - I wouldn't dare. I know that Houston has ambitious plans to improve things for bicycle riders, but Houston drivers are not accustomed to yield or watch out for cyclists, yet. Those are viewed as nuisance.

And I agree it goes both ways: some cyclists are jerks weaving in and out of traffic, going the wrong way down a one-way street, and making a left on red.
We all still have lots to learn hiw to coexist on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 03:46 PM

130 posts, read 118,678 times
Because one cannot get killed while driving either? If you are worried about getting killed, stay home and watch a youtube gopro of someone driving through Houston. Do you have some data that tells you that riding a bike is more likely to get you killed than driving?

Old 08-14-2018, 05:10 AM

428 posts, read 481,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliefland View Post
You want classic Houston driving? Cruise on Westheimer starting from highway 6 up to montrose
Good looking out on the route suggestion.I'm always up for a good drive around Houston.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:36 AM

763 posts, read 357,640 times
Quote:
Because one cannot get killed while driving either? If you are worried about getting killed, stay home and watch a youtube gopro of someone driving through Houston. Do you have some data that tells you that riding a bike is more likely to get you killed than driving?
Ha. I'll say this. When I lived in DC, I biked all the time through the streets with little fear. There, the city is more compact, traffic speeds are slower, and there's a culture of watching out for bikers since there's a lot of them there and have been for a while. People in general drive slower and more cautiously there for a variety of reasons including road design, demographics, and culture.

Here? Please. I don't know about you, but I'm not risking my life sharing the road with the speeding, red-light running, hostile-to-anything-that's-not-a-car idiots around here. I have no numbers, but I'm willing to bet there are more biker deaths here than in the DC area, with far fewer bikers. I've read stories of bikers putting poles on their bikes here just to ensure that drivers give them some clearance. I've read stories of people in cars harassing bikers and telling them they shouldn't be on the road, because roads are for cars. There's not a critical mass of biking culture here and the city's design is not really built for them to share the roads with cars safely in most places.

Nope, absolutely not. I still ride down here, but I limit it to parks and trails only.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:18 AM

1,267 posts, read 633,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Good looking out on the route suggestion.I'm always up for a good drive around Houston.
Even better is to take it into Third Ward when Westheimer turns into Elgin, all the way to UH. Then you can get right on 45 near UH. I've done the entire 610 loop once. The Beltway is a little too long for me. The Southwest can be interesting too so you can try Bellaire or Bissonnett from Highway 6 all the way into town. Memorial, 45N, Katy Freeway were others I liked too.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 AM

393 posts, read 248,426 times
I like more country roads, and "half highways" thru small towns and country. One example is Conroe /Willis, or way to College Station thru Magnolia. :-) Nice scenery.
It's relaxing, when I need to straight my head and be alone:-)
I get it:-)

Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 AM
bu2

8,975 posts, read 5,670,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Anyone enjoy leisure driving in Houston? You get on a freeway and just ride for miles. I've driven on 45 N all the way to the Woodlands, then turned back around and hit 45 S to Pasadena. Then, I took 290 all the way to Carmine and back into NW Houston. My next target is 249, then ride around 610. Sometimes, it's good to get out of the hustle and bustle of H-town and see the countryside.
I used to like it during the Blue Law days when everything was closed on Sundays. Traffic was really light.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:51 AM

763 posts, read 357,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliefland View Post
When was this?
Even in the early 90s a lot of things were still closed on Sundays. I'm sure it was way worse back in the day.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:54 PM

33,605 posts, read 51,826,099 times
Quote:
Sure. But there are much bigger odds to be killed while cycling on public roads than driving a car.
You hit a car and in most cases get a dent on your car. You hit a cyclist and in most cases he will be dead.
Just a common sense - because of the bodily exposure, no?

And here is some data you asked for:
Your Map of Where Walkers and Bikers Have Been Run Over by Cars in Houston Over the Past 2 Years | Swamplot

We have a long way to make city cycling safe as it is overseas. We need proper infrastructure, laws&regulations and public education, and we are not there, yet.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 13 days ago)

4,650 posts, read 4,488,393 times
I second the Memorial Drive route along with Westheimer ( I would prefer a west to east drive on both routes) Also a Braes Bayou drive on North or South Braeswood all the way at least to the Med Center then perhaps Macgregor drive through Riverside Terrace and beyond. Also Nasa Parkway from I-45 east to 146 then south over the Clear Lake bridge to Kemah. 288 heading north into town from 610 has a great view of Downtown and is a must see. Happy motoring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or