U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 1,556 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the input. Luckily I have already done some research and knew to stay away from Alief and Sharpstown area.

I am still a little shocked at the property taxes in the area. I realize there is no state income tax, but I didn't expect property taxes to be 3-5 times higher than our current area. Are there exemptions that bring them down, or is what is listed on the HAR fairly accurate to what you actually pay?

Regarding the traffic, I've read mixed reports. Is it worse going into the west side of Houston from the Cypress, Katy or Sugar Land area?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 08:08 AM

410 posts, read 265,039 times
Yes! There is a Homestead Exemption most people claim

Property Tax Exemptions for Homeowners - Harris County Appraisal District

I would imagine that commuting from Katy or Sugar Land to the area your husband will work would be about the same......Coming down from Cypress would be maybe 30-50% longer as there is a lot of congestion coming south towards the energy corridor.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:01 PM

2,596 posts, read 7,048,759 times
77077 or 77042

Old 08-28-2018, 09:10 PM

8,950 posts, read 14,085,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post

I would imagine that commuting from Katy or Sugar Land to the area your husband will work would be about the same......Coming down from Cypress would be maybe 30-50% longer as there is a lot of congestion coming south towards the energy corridor.
Second this. Klein is too far - and The Woodlands is definitely too far.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 1,196 times
As others have stated Klein school district will be too far, the next furthest will be Cypress. Cinco Ranch is actually a master planned community in Katy which is good option. There are other great communities in Katy such as Seven Meadows, Firethorne and a few others. Now, if you are open to older homes in Katy, Nottingham Country is a lovely community. The other two suggestions would be Richmond or Sugar Land. Both areas offer very nice exclusive communities and will provide a reasonable commute to the Briar Forest area where your husband will be working.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:16 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,936,050 times
You reject Sharpstown which is in HISD but have a daughter you want to send to the High School for the Visual and Performing Arts in Montrose (central Houston in HISD). How is that going to work when you want to live in Katy or Sugar Land? Pray for "extenuating circumstances". There are some nice neighborhoods around West High (which is in HISD) where you hubby is working. Might have a more realistic chance of getting her in.

From the HSPVA website:

"For all students: If you choose to accept an offered placement in a Magnet program, you will be required to provide proof of residence within the boundaries of HISD. Failure to do so within three school days from the date of the offered seat, will most probably result in forfeiture of your student's placement. In extenuating circumstances out-of-district applicants who qualify for HSPVA may be considered after June 1, 2018.
Providing false or misleading information about your address or other information required
to process your application will invalidate your application and any offers of seats.
HISD provides bus transportation for magnet students in accordance with the Transportation of Magnet Student Guidelines.
AUDITIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION TO HSPVA! Some art areas require a video submission that is due by December 22, 2017."

Old 08-31-2018, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 1,556 times
From what I read on many different sites (as well as the several responses to the Alief and Sharpstown recommendation on here) it sounds like it is not a good area and certainly not one in which to have young kids. While it would be nice if she were to get accepted into the arts high school, I have three other younger daughters to worry about, too. I'm not going to move to a bad area on the chance that she might get into a good school. But if you're saying there are some nice areas that we should check out near West High, I will definitely check it out. Are there specific areas you recommend? Are the elementary and middle schools good?

Thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
You reject Sharpstown which is in HISD but have a daughter you want to send to the High School for the Visual and Performing Arts in Montrose (central Houston in HISD). How is that going to work when you want to live in Katy or Sugar Land? Pray for "extenuating circumstances". There are some nice neighborhoods around West High (which is in HISD) where you hubby is working. Might have a more realistic chance of getting her in.

From the HSPVA website:

"For all students: If you choose to accept an offered placement in a Magnet program, you will be required to provide proof of residence within the boundaries of HISD. Failure to do so within three school days from the date of the offered seat, will most probably result in forfeiture of your student's placement. In extenuating circumstances out-of-district applicants who qualify for HSPVA may be considered after June 1, 2018.
Providing false or misleading information about your address or other information required
to process your application will invalidate your application and any offers of seats.
HISD provides bus transportation for magnet students in accordance with the Transportation of Magnet Student Guidelines.
AUDITIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION TO HSPVA! Some art areas require a video submission that is due by December 22, 2017."

Old 08-31-2018, 09:21 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,704,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1234 View Post
From what I read on many different sites (as well as the several responses to the Alief and Sharpstown recommendation on here) it sounds like it is not a good area and certainly not one in which to have young kids. While it would be nice if she were to get accepted into the arts high school, I have three other younger daughters to worry about, too. I'm not going to move to a bad area on the chance that she might get into a good school. But if you're saying there are some nice areas that we should check out near West High, I will definitely check it out. Are there specific areas you recommend? Are the elementary and middle schools good?

Thank you for your input.
The correct name of the high school is Westside High School. It is HISD. It is decent as far as I can tell, although many in this forum will pooh-pooh it in favor of KISD high schools (well, certain KISD high schools anyway).

The elementary school serving the HISD area west of Eldridge is Barbara Bush Elementary and is highly sought after (you'll find pretty universal agreement on that one). The middle school is Westbriar; its reputation is decent as far as I know (again, I'm sure you'll get the same reaction from the KISD propagandists).

I don't know if you're going to be able to get what you want in your price range in that area, but it is definitely worth a look. I live in the area and am pretty happy there. Most of the area between Briar Forest and Westheimer is within a high-dollar gated community that will be much too expensive for you. There is an older subdivision of SH 6 just north of Westheimer that is more reasonably priced but, in terms of access, isn't nearly as convenient. Try to focus your search north of Briar Forest and west of Eldridge. You might also look east of Eldridge, though you'll be in different elementary school zones; but there are some nice areas there as well.

In my experience, few things improve your life as much as reducing your commute. Our office is on Dairy Ashford near Briar Forest, and many folks here live in Katy. On bad days, there's a lot of grousing about how brutal the commute was. Makes me very very glad to live where I do.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:23 PM

181 posts, read 175,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The correct name of the high school is Westside High School. It is HISD. It is decent as far as I can tell, although many in this forum will pooh-pooh it in favor of KISD high schools (well, certain KISD high schools anyway).

The elementary school serving the HISD area west of Eldridge is Barbara Bush Elementary and is highly sought after (you'll find pretty universal agreement on that one). The middle school is Westbriar; its reputation is decent as far as I know (again, I'm sure you'll get the same reaction from the KISD propagandists).

I don't know if you're going to be able to get what you want in your price range in that area, but it is definitely worth a look. I live in the area and am pretty happy there. Most of the area between Briar Forest and Westheimer is within a high-dollar gated community that will be much too expensive for you. There is an older subdivision of SH 6 just north of Westheimer that is more reasonably priced but, in terms of access, isn't nearly as convenient. Try to focus your search north of Briar Forest and west of Eldridge. You might also look east of Eldridge, though you'll be in different elementary school zones; but there are some nice areas there as well.

In my experience, few things improve your life as much as reducing your commute. Our office is on Dairy Ashford near Briar Forest, and many folks here live in Katy. On bad days, there's a lot of grousing about how brutal the commute was. Makes me very very glad to live where I do.
I live in the area east of Dairy Ashford. You might be able to find something in your price range in this area, also zoned to West Briar and Westside, but most likely it would be smaller. These homes are mostly from the late 60s to early 80s, when houses weren't built huge like they are now. Also, as previous poster said, the elementary school is different. It gets mixed reviews on nextdoor and other neighborhood websites. I don't have kids, so I can't speak to that. Bu from what I understand, in HISD you can send your child pretty much anywhere as long as you can provide transportation. (Foreign concept to someone who grew up in the burbs where you went to wherever your house was zoned.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or