U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:08 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,353,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I drive a 13 year old car and cut my own hair, but I decided a long time ago that I make enough money for 2 things:

1) To have my house at whatever temperature I want, and

2) When I go to Mexican restaurants, I'm getting fajitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post

Anyway, this made me laugh out loud, and I agree about the A/C. I used to try to economize and then I decided that an extra $100 a month was best spent on making my house feel good.
I know, it put a big grin on my face as well. They got a rep point from me and good to know there's at least of us thinking along the same lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 11:29 AM

14,807 posts, read 18,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I understand what you are trying to say but the fans have been proven to suck your cool conditioned air from small crevices, attic entries etc.. and in a 20+ year old house it will be worse. Your attic may be tiny bit cooler but the air conditioning system will work harder to replace the air. They are rarely considered the solution for a hot attic. Like I said, as well as others since my post radiant barrier is the best solution. Especially the one you add when replacing the roof.

Martin Holladay describes it near the end of this article as well as all over the green building advisor forum if you do a search. He is considered an expert on the topic.

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...r-do-they-hurt
I'll just explain it to you with a picture

Old 08-27-2018, 11:49 AM

12,376 posts, read 6,869,163 times
In a hot and humid climate like ours people are waking up to the idea of a conditioned attic space, if your AC unit is in your attic it's working against itself every time it runs in the summer. You're paying to cool air that it sucks out of your home and then you're pushing that cooled air into smoking hot and poorly insulated AC ducts which are running through a super hot space until it gets back into your living space. I can't stress enough how important this is, it's the biggest thing I did to our home to increase AC efficiency and it creates climate controlled storage space where everything doesn't get destroyed like in typical attics in Houston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtLv4GpXQw

Old 08-27-2018, 11:53 AM

12,376 posts, read 6,869,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. So what kind of professional can we call to help us evaluate what exactly we need to do?
Your best bet would be to check your visible insulation and to have an air leakage test done on your home to see where the air is getting in/out. From there you can begin to prioritize what needs to be fixed or upgraded.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:59 PM

1,090 posts, read 952,538 times
Problem is they just don't really work the way your picture illustrates. And even less so in an older leaky home. Even energy star says they suck.

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...ic_ventilation

Here is another one:
https://www.homepower.com/articles/h...ic-ventilation

Oh and here is a whole website where people who do this for a living say they don't really work.
Do power attic fans help? - Page 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll just explain it to you with a picture

Last edited by hendersj31; 08-27-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-27-2018, 04:53 PM

862 posts, read 2,424,431 times
For an attic fan to work properly, you need to have enough soffit vents in the attic to allow the fan to draw in fresh air from outside to push out. If you don't have enough venting (or the vents are blocked by insulation or whatever) it creates sort of a vacuum that will draw air from cracks or small open spaces from the air conditioned space in your home.

I have two attic fans on my roof and they work fantastic in keeping my attic cooler. However, they don't last too long in this climate. You'll be changing them out every 5-10 years when they stop working (I replaced both of mine recently). So you really have to compare the energy consumption and replacement costs of those powered fans ($80 each) to the actual savings. I think in most cases you'll be better off with ridge vents, box vents, or even turbines over powered attic fans.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:14 PM

1,090 posts, read 952,538 times
Thank you for your real world example of what I was trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
For an attic fan to work properly, you need to have enough soffit vents in the attic to allow the fan to draw in fresh air from outside to push out. If you don't have enough venting (or the vents are blocked by insulation or whatever) it creates sort of a vacuum that will draw air from cracks or small open spaces from the air conditioned space in your home.

I have two attic fans on my roof and they work fantastic in keeping my attic cooler. However, they don't last too long in this climate. You'll be changing them out every 5-10 years when they stop working (I replaced both of mine recently). So you really have to compare the energy consumption and replacement costs of those powered fans ($80 each) to the actual savings. I think in most cases you'll be better off with ridge vents, box vents, or even turbines over powered attic fans.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 PM

938 posts, read 2,108,972 times
Quote:

My Father in laws home had similar issues with attic fans. Having I go to replace them every few years. Hence why I prefer the ridge vents and other passive means to release hot air.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:02 PM

268 posts, read 283,774 times
Quote:

Had similar results. I have an unusual roof situation - low slope asphalt roof on a 60 year old house, 1/2 my interior ceiling is directly below it with only a few inches of ventilation space (meaning I have attic space available for insulation only over about 1/2 my house). This roof won't work with ridge vents but it has really large soffit vents to provide makeup air.

When I moved in I had 2 power ventilators that probably had been frozen in place since the Reagan administration. I eventually refurbished them mainly because I like to fix things but it took a couple of years since they used now non-standard motors, fully expecting that they would do me no good.

I'll be damned that in similar outside conditions (98+ or so) they allow the AC to keep the house at 72, if they are off it will not be able to maintain below 74. Probably not an energy saver (its a pair of 200W motors running from 2-7 PM or so everyday), but for me it was all about keeping the house where the wife wants it to be during the day.

That being said, most houses are going to do better with ridge vents (and insulation is usually the best bang for the buck) but every house is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or