U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 2,679 times

Advertisements

A new house for sale at 311 Brooks street. I am looking around. Is Brooks street very busy? Ok place to live?
Can any folks from give me pros & cons. Any suggestions for a no Hoa community? Not to far from shopping. Also is any one familiar with a good area not too far from the Vietnamese markets. Or should I consider a community like Lakes of Bella Terra, which I believe is in Richmond? Thanks.. Jim with a wife & 2 yr old.

Last edited by Jimi61; 08-27-2018 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling & additional question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 07:02 PM

410 posts, read 265,039 times
Brooks Street is not a particularly busy street, because it doesn't really connect any two places that have much traffic, and there are a few other ways to get from highway 6 to highway 90.

Sugar Land is not like Houston, in that it actually has zoning, so not being in a community that has a strong HOA is less important that it would be in Houston. Check with the realtor to see what the property us zoned for.....there are Asian supermarkets within 2 miles of that house on Highway 6 south, they have a good stock of Vietnamese goods.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:18 PM

7,827 posts, read 10,349,004 times
Nice home. That's a really old part of Sugar Land, so you'll be a bit of a square peg in a round hole. I'd also investigate deeply as to where the water went when Harvey came through. If you look at Google Maps, you can see the old home that was there. Don't forget that home is probably $4-500K more than it's surrounding neighbors. You would have the most expensive home in the area by several multiples.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:09 PM

410 posts, read 265,039 times
Houses along Brooks Street did not flood during Harvey.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:34 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,287,231 times
All things considered, it's probably one of the more flood safe areas in the general Sugar Land area. I haven't seen the listing, but Brooks St is busy enough that I'd want a circular driveway on the lot. It's not obscenely busy but enough to be safety issue getting out of the driveway.

I like the location a lot. 6/90/59 all easy to access, no school zones to traverse in the morning or afternoon to the major arteries. HEB, Lifetime Fitness, and the Imperial Rec Center really close by. The Asian grocery stores are an 8 to 10 minute drive down 6, so not bad. You are ideally located to get to all of Sugar Land's retail. I'd pick this location over Lakes of Bella Terra every day of the week.

Schools (I think) are Highlands/Dulles/Dulles and that's a damn good trio. Some will say you can beat it, but I think it's a top notch set of schools. Personally, being on Brooks would be a dealbreaker, but I'm overly picky about street traffic, even inside of neighborhoods.

If you are wary of overbearing HOAs (I get it) but like the area, look at the older SL neighborhoods very close to the Brooks St house. Sugar Lakes, Venetian Estates, Sugar Creek are all really nice established neighborhoods with relaxed HOAs (mostly because all the homeowners are reasonable, respectful and keep up the appearance of their landscaping and homes). If you are in the $600-700k range you can find something updated and on a quiet street in any of those three.

Last edited by Failed Engineer; 08-28-2018 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-28-2018, 05:16 PM

262 posts, read 332,212 times
[quote=SugLandDAd;52927339]Brooks Street is not a particularly busy street, because it doesn't really connect any two places that have much traffic, and there are a few other ways to get from highway 6 to highway 90.

That street connects hwy 90 and hwy 6, two very busy streets. It would be a cut through street. You will probably get Fluor Daniel commuters. Also, one side of the street is zoned commercial. Oddly, there is not a sidewalk on the residential side. Other than that, it's a great location. No HOA and low property tax rate.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:09 PM

110 posts, read 54,309 times
I cut through on that street fairly often. It does have a fair amount of traffic. Convenient location, though. On Saturdays you could walk to the farmers' market.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Brooks Street is not a particularly busy street, because it doesn't really connect any two places that have much traffic, and there are a few other ways to get from highway 6 to highway 90.

Sugar Land is not like Houston, in that it actually has zoning, so not being in a community that has a strong HOA is less important that it would be in Houston. Check with the realtor to see what the property us zoned for.....there are Asian supermarkets within 2 miles of that house on Highway 6 south, they have a good stock of Vietnamese goods.
Thank you!

Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM

[quote=TXbywayof;52936379]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post

That street connects hwy 90 and hwy 6, two very busy streets. It would be a cut through street. You will probably get Fluor Daniel commuters. Also, one side of the street is zoned commercial. Oddly, there is not a sidewalk on the residential side. Other than that, it's a great location. No HOA and low property tax rate.
Thank you!

Old 09-10-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbheeler View Post
I cut through on that street fairly often. It does have a fair amount of traffic. Convenient location, though. On Saturdays you could walk to the farmers' market.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or