U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 09:37 AM

798 posts, read 2,033,093 times

Advertisements

We are most likely moving back from Pearland to the NW Houston area next summer. Ill be working close to 529/Eldridge and would like some reasonable commute there.

My son is in private school now, so if he goes to public schools I want one of the highest rated ones possible with better teacher student ratios etc. Please, Im not interested in social discussions on that issue. Its what I want, just like features in a neighborhood/house.

Second rub is Id like a nicer home that ISNT 3500 sq ft +. We just dont need a McMansion etc. My brother bought a 600k 4500 ft house and I think its ridiculous. Any neighborhoods with nicer single story homes in the 400-450 range with an outstanding school(Pope, Sampson)? I dont have a clue about Katy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 10:59 AM

308 posts, read 414,656 times
Check out Elyson - right in your area, excellent Katy ISD schools & in your price range

Old 08-31-2018, 11:37 AM

218 posts, read 210,420 times
Longwood Village, Lakewood Glen? Kids go to Hamilton. If you prefer Sampson, then Cole's Crossing.

When you say nicer home, are you looking for new? Just asking since the areas I mentioned are established neighborhoods.

Better student/teacher ratios? Probably stay private.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:31 PM

93 posts, read 64,729 times
Bigger question is what are your plans for MS & HS. I would figure out what HS you want to map to and work backwards. The only public high schools in Cypress I would send my kid to are CFHS, CRHS, CWHS & Bridgelands. We went the Hamilton >>> CFHS route and have been reasonable happy. A number of our neighbors send their kids to CCS as a private alternative. There are a few newer neighborhoods in the area that have single story homes in that price range if you are looking to build.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:54 PM

798 posts, read 2,033,093 times
I graduated from cyfair.

Used to live in longwood. It was a great neighborhood, but I felt the area trending worse from the growth south of tomball.

Hamilton is a solid school. I move a fair amount, never make 10 year plans.

I hate the taxes, but feel like Bridgeland to Fairfield might be a better choice. I have a friend who is very happy in Weston Lakes, but that’s pushing the commute.

CCS seems to have fallen off lately. I just question whether any other private school is worth it. We are at Lutheran South down here. Love it.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:19 PM

218 posts, read 210,420 times
Ok. Longwood is still a great neighborhood, but I'm finding there's something about newer neighborhoods that draws people in these parts, so what do I know.

Fairfield and Bridgeland are fine choices.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:48 PM

335 posts, read 317,851 times
You could live right next to your job and get a nice 1-story house in Lakes on Eldridge North. While nearby LOE and Twin Lakes had flooding in Harvey, LOEN escaped with almost no water inside houses. However, LOEN residents mostly go with private schools. Private schools that are popular in LOEN are Awty, British, Village, Cypress Christian, Houston Christian, and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. There are several other private schools attended by LOEN kids - those aare just the most popular.

If you really want to go public, I would second the idea of looking around Longwood.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:54 PM

1,262 posts, read 5,691,728 times
There's a brand-new section of Longwood being built by Coventry homes. The Enclave at Longwood will have 2 sections, with 132 homes priced from the $380's to the $500's (2,400 sq ft to 4,200 sq ft). It's located on the old Tin Hall tract. The new section was annexed into the Longwood HOA, it has full access to all Longwood amenities (parks, swimming pools, golf course, trails, etc.). Zoned to great schools (Hamilton, Hamilton, Cy-Fair...State Champs!). Low tax rate compared to other new communities which can be up to 1% higher (2.69%, effectively around 2.4% when you factor in the CFISD exemption).

https://www.coventryhomes.com/houston/enclaveatlongwood

There are several other new home communities building in the area: Valencia, Alden Woods, Bridlecreek, and The Preserve.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 09-03-2018 at 10:04 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 02:13 PM

34 posts, read 16,214 times
I commend you on moving away from large homes to one that suits your needs in terms of size and I echo another poster's comments about checking what MS and HS your son will go to, not the elementary school (or focus on what MS/HS the elementary school will feed into. For Katy, here's the map that shows how the ES/MS/HS feeding system works today by your address (they CAN and do re-zone, which can change this in the future).

https://gis.katyisd.org/viewer/

FWIW, check the rankings on the MS/HS in the area you plan to live. These rankings are not the "final say" and are subjective, but something to go by. As of now, a few high schools in KISD rank well in the "niche" ranking.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...on-metro-area/

Consider your commute to work and go from there to check the houses matching your criteria of cost and square footage.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 409 times
I’d consider Tomball ISD with 16:1 student to teacher ratio. They also just received a STEM grant. Check out Rosehill Reserve new construction. They’re off 2920 and Rosehill. Take 99 to Rosehill or Mueschke. Your price range will get you a Perry Home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston