U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2008, 10:59 AM

310 posts, read 1,815,989 times
Default Moving to Houston. Some questions.

My wife and I are planning to move to Houston in the next month to attend school at TMC for 3 years. We're looking to buy something in the $100-150,000 range. What would be a good area to look at? So far we've looked at townhomes in Condoland, but are somewhat wary of crime. We started to look at homes in Pearland, for which you can buy a resale home in that range. But I really, REALLY dislike traffic. What times would I have to leave so as to avoid any stop-n-go traffic? What time does traffic like that end at the end of the day?

From reading the forum, I understand that the humidity can get pretty bad. Coming from Las Vegas, the humidity will be hard to adjust to. But what I want to know is how early does it start? Meaning if I'm waiting for the bus in the morning, am I going to break a sweat in just a few minutes? Is it possible to walk or bike to school without sweating?

Last question I have is about property tax assessment. Is the value determined solely on square footage of the building? Does it take into account what external and/or internal improvements have been done? I've looked at some townhomes that are the exact same layout with higher assessments than they're listed for in HAR.com. Why is that?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 AM

258 posts, read 639,286 times
Default heat homes

At that price range I would very selective in new construction .This price means rental property in the future most likely'Buy an older home as close too downtown as possible.Much research should be done to look at schools etc.As for heat I have heard that some people ride to work on bikes and all I can say they must have showers when they get there or alot of enemies at work.I broke into a major sweat yesterday just walking to my car and its only April.I am 48 and lived here off and on my whole life and never get used to it.Its hot as hell 4 months of the year .Its not LA.I was in Vegas in JUly and I think it was 117 that day.That was hot but it did not bother me as much as the summers here due to the constant sweating .Taxes home vaues are all over the map here .New construction areas taxes are higher and the big thing here is school district.If you buy into a bad school system you might have rental property for life as I have done.

Last edited by arbucle; 04-02-2008 at 12:27 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston