Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 11:57 PM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Following investigation, Houston Chronicle retracts eight stories - former staff reporter Mike Ward accused of fabricating sources
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...e-13375132.php

Those are the stories:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...e-13375182.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 08:04 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,707 times
I moved to Texas in 1996, and I subscribed to the Chronical for over 10 years. But I finally got sick of the left leaning bias of the paper, and I have never bought it since.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:13 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
Thank God they endorsed Beto, he might not have pulled off a win without their support.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:18 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I moved to Texas in 1996, and I subscribed to the Chronical for over 10 years. But I finally got sick of the left leaning bias of the paper, and I have never bought it since.
Can you show me some examples of this bias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Thank God they endorsed Beto, he might not have pulled off a win without their support.
My understanding is that the urban newspapers supported Beto... DMN did too.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:33 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Any person who says the Houston Chronicle is left leaning has no clue what the real left is.

The Houston Chronicle is and always has been the Chamber of commerce paper. This left wing media crap has been going on since I bailed from the John Birch Society 50 years ago.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:40 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Any person who says the Houston Chronicle is left leaning has no clue what the real left is.

The Houston Chronicle is and always has been the Chamber of commerce paper. This left wing media crap has been going on since I bailed from the John Birch Society 50 years ago.
And its also left leaning. I've seen it change from moderate to well left over the last 40 years. Primarily after it changed ownership.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:48 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Can you show me some examples of this bias?

It has been over 10 years since I quit getting the paper. How do you expect me to remember every specific thing? But, I have discounted the opinion of the paper because of their liberal views IMHO. If you have to even ask me that question, it is obvious you probably do not see it because you likely have similar views.

From memory, the editorial views of the paper were way liberal. Also, the seemed to be pro illegal immigration, and they always seemed to champion the liberal view of any political issue. That is what I remember

Old 11-11-2018, 10:52 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
It has been over 10 years since I quit getting the paper. How do you expect me to remember every specific thing? But, I have discounted the opinion of the paper because of their liberal views IMHO. If you have to even ask me that question, it is obvious you probably do not see it because you likely have similar views.

From memory, the editorial views of the paper were way liberal. Also, the seemed to be pro illegal immigration, and they always seemed to champion the liberal view of any political issue. That is what I remember
The National Chamber of Commerce, the National Association of Restaurants and most food producers are pro illegal immigration.

Remember when Texas House was gonna pass E Verify? Bob Perry and Henry Butts sent their lobbyist over to the Capital and that bill was graveyard dead in 15 minutes.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:37 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Chronicle articles are available online, and I am still interested in seeing some examples. If you ask students at University of Houston, Montrose, et al, they might say the Chron leans far too right wing (or at least might have said that a decade ago). Also, as the Chron is the newspaper of record in the Houston area, it is on top of things that perhaps you should know about.

Quote:

Old 11-11-2018, 01:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,056 times
I respect their transparency in recently announcing retractions for several past articles by one journalist, with an explanation for why they did it.

They also provided a fairly balanced and detailed editorial about the negative consequences of straight-ticket, or party-line, voting during the recent mid-term election for Harris County judges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston