U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 AM

909 posts, read 1,035,470 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have experience with The Parish School located in Houston? My son is attending PPCD in Stafford and also getting Speech Therapy in private but we find it not sufficient. From the reviews I have been reading, this school is doing a good job on the speech and socialization part. My son is 3,5 years old, does anyone have any experience or recommendation? I am planning to take him out of PPCD which is 3 hours a day to this school which is almost all day.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 12:16 PM

366 posts, read 887,204 times
I haven't lived in Houston for several years now but I do have a special needs son who attended public school PPCD in San Antonio where I live now.

Here is one thing to consider (among many factors) when deciding on a school for your child. Does the school give the child exposure to neuro-typical children? I liked my son's PPCD class here in SA because half of the class was special needs and half were neuro-typical. When he was ready for kindergarten, I decided against sending him to a charter school just for autistic children because there were no typically developing peers around.

I don't know what your child's diagnosis is so I don't know if it is important for he/she to be around typically developing peers. For my son, it is important.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:53 PM

909 posts, read 1,035,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstmom View Post
I haven't lived in Houston for several years now but I do have a special needs son who attended public school PPCD in San Antonio where I live now.

Here is one thing to consider (among many factors) when deciding on a school for your child. Does the school give the child exposure to neuro-typical children? I liked my son's PPCD class here in SA because half of the class was special needs and half were neuro-typical. When he was ready for kindergarten, I decided against sending him to a charter school just for autistic children because there were no typically developing peers around.

I don't know what your child's diagnosis is so I don't know if it is important for he/she to be around typically developing peers. For my son, it is important.
Thanks for the insights

My son is not diagnosed with autism but he has hypotonia which comes with more than one delay. This school sounds like it has kids with very similar symptoms.

I guess your question was pertained to autism but let me know if I misunderstood you.

The Parish School | Private School for Children with Special Needs

Old 09-11-2018, 12:59 PM

391 posts, read 247,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstmom View Post

Houstmom- we had the same experience with our son. He was attending PPCD (years ago). It was mixed class and it helped him tremendously. His teachers and therapists were excellent. We had very positive experience with PPCD and the school, in general.
My friend's son attended a private school for autistic children. She was not really happy with the system. Every child is unique, and every situation is different. But for us, public system worked better in our situation.

Good luck, OP.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:10 PM

391 posts, read 247,560 times
OP, I guess it comes to the point, what each district and school can offer your child.

We moved to Houston from NYC with my son's diagnosis already(years ago) I'm glad, my son was diagnosed in NY and had recommended therapies in place. But I'm also glad, that my son attended TX school system with his disabilities. I didn't like NY school system for my kid. How I said earlier, every child and situation is different.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:40 PM

1,099 posts, read 773,332 times
I think it depends on your particular situation. We couldn’t afford private school for 14 years so I didn’t even consider it. We were really happy with our PPCD program anyway. A friend who could afford private school for her kids didn’t even consider putting her son with autism in their local PPCD, she just went straight for the private school (it was another one).

Old 10-06-2018, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 339 times
Do you mind me asking the name of the private school in Houston that your friend sent her kid?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 PM

1,099 posts, read 773,332 times
I believe it was Briarwood. They were very happy with it but moved out of the area.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:26 AM

268 posts, read 283,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
Does anyone here have experience with The Parish School located in Houston? My son is attending PPCD in Stafford and also getting Speech Therapy in private but we find it not sufficient. From the reviews I have been reading, this school is doing a good job on the speech and socialization part. My son is 3,5 years old, does anyone have any experience or recommendation? I am planning to take him out of PPCD which is 3 hours a day to this school which is almost all day.

Any comments would be appreciated.
I have a child in the Parish school and it is excellent, especially if you believe that PPCD is insufficient after giving it a try. Speech and socialization are what they are extremely good at fostering, and at the early childhood level the teachers have speech and language pathology degrees.

The only downside to Parish is the cost and figuring out your eventual "exit plan", since most of us want our kids to eventually graduate to a more mainstream and less costly long term plan, and Parish is more about getting speech going than the academics that come later in elementary.

They are also looking for a new head of the school which has brought just a tad of uncertainty with the staff.

Good luck...I know it's a difficult process coming to a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or