Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:45 AM

5,610 posts, read 4,931,018 times

Advertisements

A number of "progressive" granola-ish types have been moving into Northside and East End in search of affordable housing. The former would allow you to have a "one-seat ride" to the medical center on the train.

Montrose may be the spiritual home of hippies in Houston, but it's priced many of the real hippies (or their modern-day equivalents) out - it's more of a limousine liberal place now, sprinkled in places with generic young partying urbanites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 04:24 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times
Well, I booked an Airbnb in Midtown, the seedy end near the metro station. I find it charming and the building has a gym if I really want to run but don't feel safe doing it outside. But really, I think I'll be fine running in Midtown even at night. There are lots of people around and joggers aren't good targets for mugging because we don't have anything on us to steal. There are a handful of vegan eateries nearby, but many of the restaurants have vegan options. It could do with a better grocery store, but I'll have my car for that. The proximity to the metro is nice and I'll be able to avoid paying for parking when I go for my (daily) treatments.

I drove through Montrose several times and just didn't get a hippy vibe from it, and it doesn't seem particularly walkable either. Upper Kirby seemed ok for walkability (in some areas at least) but a little posh for my taste. I don't think West U fits the bill at all, it just seems like an upscale bedroom community. Nothing hippy or walkable about it, though it would indeed be safe for jogging at night. The Heights looked pretty good, but kind of far from the medical center and also only walkable in certain areas. I would say it has more of a yoga mom aesthetic than a hippy vibe, but there is considerable overlap between the two. If I were buying a house in Houston Heights is where I'd concentrate my search. I did not get to check out Northside or East End.

Thanks for everyone's help and I'll try to re-update this thread when my treatment is done and see if my perception of any of this has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston