Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
See comments above in BLUE (my favorite color)
You are woefully un-informed - but that is typical for a liberal voter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
You are woefully un-informed - but that is typical for a liberal voter.
Actually, I'm very informed. I've had many people tell me that I have a "very, very large brain".

Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Your point? The economy definitely hit a wall under Bush - Bush spent like a liberal and invaded Iraq on questionable intelligence.

Can you remind me who had the majority in Congress when the crash occurred?
Now Bush is a liberal, lol
Let me guess ... you think Trump is a conservative

Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Actually, I'm very informed. I've had many people tell me that I have a "very, very large brain".
You would have to be ignorant then to not understand that Beto has a F rating with the NRA - Supports restricting "assault rifles" which is really just a semi-automatic rifle....as intellectually weak as Beto is, he knows better than to say publicly during an election he wants to strip away the 2nd Amendment....No - just like the rest of the liberal left he will wait for another tragedy, and then say his conscious forces him to do it. Its as predictable as it is pathetic.

How are you worse off under Trump?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Now Bush is a liberal, lol
Let me guess ... you think Trump is a conservative
Bush was as moderate a republican as they come. Trump is no conservative, he is more of a populist. - but I will say he is doing a good job at dismantling the damage done by Obama. Again - who was in control of the Congress when the economy collapsed? You failed to answer.

Last edited by marksmu; 10-22-2018 at 08:52 AM..

Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Quote:
You would have to be ignorant then to not understand that Beto has a F rating with the NRA - Supports restricting "assault rifles" which is really just a semi-automatic rifle....as intellectually weak as Beto is, he knows better than to say publicly during an election he wants to strip away the 2nd Amendment....No - just like the rest of the liberal left he will wait for another tragedy, and then say his conscious forces him to do it. Its as predictable as it is pathetic.

You don't need an assault rifle unless you are plan on being in the military or police. I believe you are some sort of transactional attorney so it's unlikely you will need one in your line of work.

Beto's positions on guns from his website:

"Texas has a proud and honorable tradition of responsible gun ownership for hunting, sport, self-defense, and collecting. Like so many Texans, Beto learned to safely handle and shoot a gun at a young age — taught by his Uncle Raymond who was a sheriff’s deputy and a jail captain. That shared heritage — that uniquely Texas experience — means that our state should lead the way in preserving the Second Amendment while working together to ensure people can live without fear of gun violence in their communities.

We should:

Require background checks for all gun sales to ensure that firearms only get into the hands of responsible, law-abiding individuals. This means finally closing the gun show, online, and boyfriend loopholes.
Stop selling weapons of war and high-capacity magazines to ensure that firearms designed to kill as effectively and efficiently as possible on the battlefield aren’t used in our schools, our streets, our churches, and our concerts.
Block the erosion of Texas’ license to carry standards by opposing Concealed Carry Reciprocity, which would force Texas to allow anyone from states with weak to nonexistent conceal carry laws to disregard our own public safety requirements.
Fully support federal research on gun violence so that we can better understand and address its root causes."

Also, the whole country is worse off under Trump - not just me.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:05 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
For starters, he's an intellectual featherweight. He's running ads directed at public educators essentially offering them vain promises of better pay and a more secure retirement. It's quite clear from his ad that it has never occurred to him that if he were elected to the Senate, it would be harder to find a position from which he is less likely to be able effect such a change.

If he were really serious about delivering on these promises to educators (and to be honest, he isn't of course), he'd probably be running for the Texas House, not the U.S. Senate, since the collection and allocation of public education funds is a joint state and local, (i.e., not federal) responsibility. But nowhere in O'Rourke's ad does he acknowledge this reality. It's almost as if he is simply ignorant of the fact that education is a function left to the states and localities, for the most part.

The sad thing is that there are probably public education "professionals" who are stupid enough to buy into this misrepresentation by O'Rourke, which unfortunately, would constitute them as mental flyweights.

The even sadder conclusion therefrom is that these "educators," who apparently don't understand the concept of federalism enshrined in the U.S. Constitution, are responsible for teaching your children.

And that ought to scare the hell out of you. (BOO!)
You're very quick to call all these people stupid. Meanwhile, though, Dan Patrick, who actually does have the power to affect change in local education and teacher pay, continues to lie and make empty promises about paying teachers more and how he's going to fund education, when he does the exact opposite. Are you as ready to call him and the people who vote for him "mental flyweights?"

Old 10-22-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Beto wants to raise taxes again - stripping away all of the economic growth brought by the republican house/senate after 8 painful years of Obama increases and the economic strangulation of his regulations.

Beto wants socialized healthcare - Medicare for all IS socialized care, whether you are intellectually honest enough to admit it.

Beto wants to legalize dreamers, and leave our borders open to anyone. Virtually all democrats do. Democrats see the writing on the wall - the demographics are changing and they are going to pander to the changing demographic now - no matter what it does to our current citizens.

Beto is in the anti-gun group of democrats. He says he is not anti 2nd amendment, but its all talk - he will say whatever it takes to get elected and then turn around and vote with the rest of the far left to strip away gun rights.

Bottom line - we saw what 8 years of Obama got us - the most divided country in history, the largest national debt, a fragmented and dysfunctional health care system, and the most anemic economy of any sitting president. Beto - is more of the same dysfunction.

I would never support someone who wants to rip this country down. No matter what this man says, its all talk and platitudes - no plan on how to pay for anything - just free health care, free teacher pensions (even though that is a state issue) free basic income, more government run boondoggles.

I honestly wonder how it is that anyone can look at the differences in this country since Trump has been elected (ignoring his painful speeches) and say we are not better off now that Obama and the left are out of office. Beto represents a step backwards - not forward.
I guess we disagree. The word "socialized" is treated like a curse word, like we're all going to have to salute Chairman Mao or something. But universal healthcare is something I would prefer to the risks of losing it, and making insurance execs rich in the process.

Legalizing dreamers is a far cry from the "open borders" scare campaign you're waging here. It's a humane way to deal with kids who grew up in this country and would have to meet certain standards to stay.

Beto has been honest and forthright about wanting commonsense restrictions on guns. I want that too. Again, a far cry from coming and taking away your guns.

I think I, and lots of other Texans, find these positions to be very positive. Thanks for listing them here.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Ah, so SMART people vote based on the NRA ratings. Because they consider issues so carefully and objectively.

YOU may not be worse off under Trump. But people of color, LGBT folks, people who speak other languages, journalists and women are experiencing open season on them-- Trump has made it clear that it's fine to verbally or physically assault those groups and strip them of their rights. Your privilege is protecting you. The rest of us are experiencing something very different under Trump. I fear for our democracy.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
So will you guys be screaming on the streets, disturbing people at dinner, and just continue to throw general tantrums when Cruz wins by 8-10% (might be more, that is my conservative estimate)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston