Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:30 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Hardy is tag only now. No cash.

TxTag is the choice. Free tag. HCTRA EZTag is $20 for the tag.
Only cash lanes left in Texas are on the original Sam Houston Tollway from SW Houston to Bush Airport.

You can get TxTags at the AAA Texas offices around the state. I got mine almost 10 years ago during a promotion that waived the activation fee.

Sadly no Pay by Mail, except on the TxDot owned & operated portions (between I-10 W and I-69 N) of SH 99.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 08:16 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I thought that was a cool benefit. They should look into it again. At the time, the COH said the costs were too high to justify keeping it. That was several years ago. Maybe now, with the number of Tag users exponentially higher, and most electronic processing costs down, it could be viable again.

Our condo parking garage uses the tags to open the gates when you drive up. Both TxTag and EZTag work.
That's super cool! Do you give them the tag number or something? Obviously nonresidents with tags shouldn't be able to get in. That is neat!

In California the tags have a little slider on them from 1 to 3 for the number of people in your car so you don't get charged when you carpool. This is of course widely abused! But they do have highway patrol looking out for cheaters. Im sure this loses millions in revenue.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:58 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Our condo parking garage uses the tags to open the gates when you drive up. Both TxTag and EZTag work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
That's super cool! Do you give them the tag number or something? Obviously nonresidents with tags shouldn't be able to get in. That is neat!
Front desk employees register it for you (one time process). They drive your car around so it's in front of the reader over the garage entrance, while another employee is at the front desk, in front of the computer. When the reader gets a good signal on your tag, the front desk guy can register it to your car, and tell the computer to open for that tag from now on.

Everything is computerized, and frankly, quite amazing to an OF like me.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:20 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
In California the tags have a little slider on them from 1 to 3 for the number of people in your car so you don't get charged when you carpool. This is of course widely abused! But they do have highway patrol looking out for cheaters. Im sure this loses millions in revenue.
I've seen a picture of that toll tag. What's the point of the slider anyway? They should have designed it differently.

The modern HCTRA, NTTA, and TxTag are windshield stickers with a circuit board that deactivates when the adhesive is separated from the tag. That tag is more like the I-Passes still in circulation around Chicagoland (and the ancient HCTRA tags).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston