U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 01:09 AM

1,665 posts, read 689,716 times

Advertisements

You could look at the census demographics and see how Katy lines up.

From my own perceptions. . . . White families have fewer kids. For whatever reason. Some marry late. Some have their careers and only want one or two kids. Hispanics have more kids than whites and part of that is the religious culture. Or the fact that Hispanics have a strong family unit which includes extended family.

So if young families are looking for a great education for their kids, of course they'll go where the schools are. That's the big reason so many families live in Katy and their kids attend Katy ISD. These are newer schools and kids get an excellent education. They want the best for their kids. It's also a fact that many companies want diversity in their work force. So they hire other races, women, or whatever. And those people move to good neighborhoods. Places where their kids feel connected and safe.

Personally I think whites are becoming the minority. Again that's my view.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 07:18 AM

410 posts, read 265,039 times
2017 Houston Area School Ratings:

2017 Report Card | Rankings

Old 06-09-2017, 01:16 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,704,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Developers overbuilt apartments during the oil boom which caused rents to fall which can allow for different demographics. This has happened in every boom bust cycle the last 40 years.
There are move-in specials and maybe some rent decreases, but nothing like what happened in the mid-to-late 1980s. In that period, rents dropped to practically nothing, allowing truly low-income folks to move to places they never would have done in a normal economy. This time, it's nothing like that. More like folks who would have been looking in a nice Class B property can now consider suburban Class A. And there's lots of African Americans (and Hispanics as well) who can afford a nice Class B apartment.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:40 AM

13,245 posts, read 4,228,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Ha, I didn't notice your screen name. Now that I re-read my post it sounds like I'm trying to push you to Sugarland because I thought you were Asian. Not my intention. I was just passing on stats from the Wikipedia entry for Sugarland, which is quite extensive and complementary:

The majority of Sugar Landers are white-collar, and university-educated working in Houston's renowned energy industry.[3] [4] [5] Sugar Land is also notable for its affluent minority population, since it is also a popular place of residence among Houston's increasingly influential Asian American community. According to the U.S. Census, nearly a quarter of its residents were Asian American in 2000. Sugar Land could quite possibly have the largest and most affluent Asian American community in Texas.

In 2004, the city was named the top 100 places to live according to HomeRoute, a national real estate marketing company, identifies top American cities each year through its Relocate-America program. Cities are selected based on educational opportunities, crime rates, employment and housing data. The magazine started with statistics on 271 U.S. cities provided by OnBoard LLC, a real estate information company. These cities had the highest median household incomes in the nation and above average population growth.

Also in 2004, 2005, and 2006, Sugar Land was awarded the title of "Fittest City in Texas" for the population range 50,000-100,000 (the 2005 award was a tie between Sugar Land and Round Rock). The "Fittest City in Texas" awards program is a part of the Texas Roundup program, a statewide fitness initiative.

Sugarland is terrible.

Maybe if you live on the very outskirts, I wouldn't live in Sugar land, and I wouldn't be proud of Sugar land. I used to hunt Jack Rabbits in Sugar land that were so big, they looked like Kangaroos. I tried everything I could do to tell my sister not to move to Sugarland and sure enough, she bought a house and found out, worst mistake of her life.

Only place to move now is like Fulshear or Needville, Pleak, Fairchild, Brookshire maybe, rather than Katy or Sugarland. Heck, Rosenberg and Richmond is better than Katy or Sugarland.

These used to be the nicest places to live in, IN THE WORLD. The fastest growing counties in the world for decades and therein lies the problem.

You Love in Sugar land south of HWY 6 like in Mission bend, and you are in danger all the time, you go a dew blocks and cruise the apartment complexes and you make the mistake of pulling in one of their driveways, and it's a 50/50 chance of you getting mugged for a white person.

Sure if you live in a guarded, gated community, you might be alright but don't break down, and know that wherever you live, every other house is filled with 42 foreigners in one house, and many houses are used to either store stolen goods or they are growing weed. I used to live all over that area and what was bad in Houston keeps creeping southwest and here we are, I am a hermit that don't even like to go outside and although I live in town, I live across from an apartment complex where I deal with people every week that I have no business with.

The Sugar Land Police is the worst I have seen and their corrupt courts as far as I am concerned, they made a pretty cool film with that Hewitt Love chick about a massage parlor because there was really one going back in the day, and it don't matter who is in charge, we always see clown running the place like that Chief of police caught walking nude some place in Houston and acting in a very lewd manner.

Sugar land used to be the best place in the world to live, and so was Katy, Rosenberg, but that was back in the day.

Now you carry a gun wherever you go.

Better find you a place NOT IN a Home owners association OUT SIDE of the city.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:50 AM

13,245 posts, read 4,228,306 times
One thing drug addicts know is that Sugarland, and all that area around Sugarland up 59 from HWY 6 to Bellaire is the opioid capital of the south. People will come from states all around Texas to Sugarland and Stafford to get they drugs. Always people lining out of buildings, that is where everyone goes. I have seen more and more houses busted in Sugarland being used for criminal activity because that area very near to Sugarland has come to Sugarland, it is Houston.

If I was going to buy a house, I would get as far from Houston as possible. If there was a million dollar house in Mission bend selling for 5000 bucks, run from it.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:57 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,854,226 times
Wtf??

Old 06-12-2017, 08:50 AM

410 posts, read 265,039 times
The above is delusional, Sugar Land is one of the safest cities in Texas.....

Sugar Land named one of America's safest cities - Houston Chronicle

Top 10 Safest Cities in Texas | USA Today

New ranking lists Texas' safest cities | abc13.com

Sugar Land ranked second safest city in Texas - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-15-2017, 04:24 PM

4,051 posts, read 4,426,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan78 View Post
I'll give you my experience.

I have been living in Katy, Texas for more than 5 years now. I have been living in apartments inside Katy in the mason rd area. I have seen this city change its demographic rapidly in the last 1-2 years.

Please be aware that the following is not meant to be racist. I am discussing demographics and how Katy has changed in terms of demographics.

When I first moved to Katy I mostly had white neighbors; very few were hispanic and almost no african americans, asians or indians. These days in Katy you either see senior citizens or a bunch of young african american teenagers.

I dont understand why but for the last year and a half there has been a huge rise in african americans moving to Katy. I'm confused why it hasn't been covered in the news since the news will usually cover population growth and they dont withhold information about demopgraphics moving there. In fact the news will tell you WHO is moving there. Im surprised it hasn't been covered.

This is not perception. There is a huge rise. It is mostly noticeable in apartments just by looking at who moves in. Is it getting louder? Are there more car break-ins? Music at 3am in the morning? Loud stomping when walking? Telephone conversations you can hear from a mile away?

Hispanic population is also rising but not as rapidly as african americans. I have seen a huge population increase in indians too.

This is all coming from living in 3 apartment complexes in 5+ years.

This is NOT as noticeable when you live in homes because how often do you see people moving in and out of homes?

Katy was recently named top 11 city in the USA to live by an known source (one which I can't seem to locate at this time).

Katy is still a great place to live and everything you need is just a small drive away. There are parks everywhere for outdoor lovers and doggy lovers. I am hopeful that I can buy a house in katy and live here for the rest of my life.

But I will not deny you this information. There's definitely an inclusion of numerous cultures and races spread from Houston to Katy. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm not saying it's a good thing. I'm just noting what is happening.

What I cant figure out is why exactly.

As we know houston is unlike any other city in the USA. The average houstonian knows that houston is separated in sections like "good neighborhood" next to "bad neighbor". So, a good one, then a bad one, then a good one, then a bad one, then a good one, then a bad one. You can have a rich neighbor, and right next to it is there ghetto. That's houston.

But Katy (west houston) is not like this at all.

Starting from Bunker Hill (i-10 going west bound) to Highway 6 is a pretty good area, Then from highway 6 to mason is another pretty good area.

So if you headed west starting from the edward marquee at i-10 and silber, you'd be looking at houston as follows:

good neighborhood, good neighboorhood, good neighborhood, oil companies, good neighborhood, then katy texas.

There's no ghetto in katy or close to it. In fact cinco ranch is next to it and it is very very nice.

I assume, katy is seeing a huge population increase overall, but the interesting part is that the majority seems to be african americans.
Relevant parts bolded in red. If this is REALLY what is going on, find a new place. It hardly seems like an endorsement for Katy.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:54 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,476,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
One thing drug addicts know is that Sugarland, and all that area around Sugarland up 59 from HWY 6 to Bellaire is the opioid capital of the south. People will come from states all around Texas to Sugarland and Stafford to get they drugs. Always people lining out of buildings, that is where everyone goes. I have seen more and more houses busted in Sugarland being used for criminal activity because that area very near to Sugarland has come to Sugarland, it is Houston.

If I was going to buy a house, I would get as far from Houston as possible. If there was a million dollar house in Mission bend selling for 5000 bucks, run from it.
I would say parts of Sugar land over lapping with Alief & Kempner might be problem area but over all Sugarland is a great and pretty safe community.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:26 AM

86 posts, read 46,028 times
So many newcomers asking questions, but here is some information about schools. The best high schools in Katy are Taylor, Seven Lakes and Cinco Ranch. The best elementary schools feed into these high schools. The best neighborhoods are zoned to these schools. You need a good, veteran real estate agent who will learn what your wants and needs are and find a good fit. Once you narrow it down, drive through the neighborhood on the weekend and see who your potential neighbors are. The area is too large to single out just one subdivision to recommend. If you want a small town feel, look in the city limits of old town Katy, north of the freeway. They have their own police and fire, which is a huge plus, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or