U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:37 AM

11,879 posts, read 25,535,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelo View Post
I understand your concerns about imigrants, I'm Hispanic from Colombia, and let me tell you that we like to live in goods areas , as well we are professionals inour country, we have a daughter ,and we teach her good thigs to her like , repect for others, repect for all thigs that we get from God as, the environment, the opportunity to work... and more .
You can't generalize all Hispanics.
Raquelo, I don't think he was generalizing all hispanics. He was talking about ILLEGAL immigrants. There is a big difference between those who respect the laws of this country and those who come in illegally. There's the big disconnect between many who support the illegal immigrants and those who do not; it's the ILLEGAL part that many who are pro-illegal want to overlook. I have many friends from Latin America and they are some of the most intelligent, highly educated, decent, hard-working people that I have ever met in my entire life. Neither I, or many of the rest of us who are upset about illegal immigration have anything against hispanics except those who would come here illegally. And that goes for Chinese, Canadians, Germans, Portuguese, or any other person who comes here illegally. Illegal immigrants cost this country in many ways. Sure, they do things cheaply, but in my opinion that is the corporations of this country taking advantage of these people, making them a sort of slave class, which is wrong. Anyway, I'm rambling, but I think you get my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 10:39 AM

11,879 posts, read 25,535,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmglab View Post
Very true. All people in the US (except native Americans) should also remember that we were all originally from somewhere else.
Yes, that is true. But most of our forefathers didn't dig tunnels and breach this country's laws to get here.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:50 PM

1,590 posts, read 3,177,992 times
Just wanted to weigh in on the issue of Hispanics. I have some very good friends who are Hispanic but they live much like I do and I generally forget they are any different. But the infusion of Spanish speaking immigrants was really brought home to me the other day when I stopped in at a MacDonald's for breakfast on my way to work. There was not a single person behind the counter who wasn't Hispanic, all of the communication between the employees was in Spanish and the somewhat most disturbing aspect of the visit was that the television set in the dining area was tuned to a Spanish language station. Not that I really cared what was on TV but dang it I expect it to be playing in English. I also resent having to "press 1" to continue in English when I call customer service lines. Is there any other country in the known world that would so accomodate to non-natives? I expect sales people in the Galleria to be speaking Spanish to their customers from Mexico (it's all about the money) but I don't expect it at the place I stop for breakfast.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:22 AM

2,909 posts, read 10,292,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisluvThreePrinces View Post
I think you for your honesty.

I have never been to Texas and have no idea what to expect. I am a Californian, and we are trying to decide between jobs in Denver and Houston.

Anyway, I appreciate your point of view-it's nice to hear both sides.

cockroaches...ewwwwwwwwwwww..........

Ive spread around positive reputation for the truth. Ironically I was talking about how great Houson was and that I wanna move there. Well not anymore! The abundance of jobs(most unfortunately low paying) and very affordable houses. In fact the cheapest is $10k. In fact theres 173 houses for up to $50k in Houston! Average size is 1000 living square feet and most need some TLC. The smaller 2 bedroom houses are in great condition.
Lots of affordable condos as well.

Whats keeping me from considering Houston is the crime heat(im sick and tired of it!) the crazy dangerous traffic and other problems. I can afford a house and theres alot of entertainment, clubs, restaurants, malls, etc to have fun. But I choose Oil city because I dont like the minuses Houston has

Old 12-21-2006, 06:58 AM

59 posts, read 161,571 times
Hi NAH. I've been looking to move to Tx also, but the bigger cities always have the higher crime rates. Especially since 9-11. The problem is that Homeland Security has actually caused a cut in the money for police departments nationwide. The smaller cities, although being cut also, haven't had the major loss the bigger cities have faced. I'd look to the smaller towns around Houston, there are plenty, that have low crime rates and could possibly put you close enough to be able to enjoy the amenties of that bigger population. Some of the towns are only a short drive, except in rush-hour. I don't care for the big city, but like the idea of having one close for emergencies. Don't let the crime rates chase you off. It's going up all over even Fl.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:03 AM

1,590 posts, read 3,177,992 times
Reading these boards one gets the idea that everyone is expecting Houston to have all the big city amenities but have only small town problems. Houston is the fourth largest metropolitan area in the country and just by its sheer size it is going to have "issues." The weather here is just a geographical condition and in no way a fixable fault. But just about everything else is a product of unrestricted growth. The energy industry (primarily) is responsible for the massive infusion of new jobs here and with those jobs comes people and the attendant problems (crime, traffic, pollution etc.). Sure, if we were just some sleepy little coastal town with little industry we would have much better air quality, traffic and far less crime. But why would anyone needing a decent income bother to come here then? If you are looking for a great job, low cost of living, shopping, world-class medical care (scarsely ever mentioned here), great restaurants and first class cultural amenities then you would be hard pressed to do better than Houston. But if on the other hand you are far more concerned with the crime rate, weather, traffic or air quality then don't bother to come on down. Houston is a city on the move and will very likely overtake Chicago before very long and move into third place. This city has a global presence and welcomes visitors from the four corners of the world.

You can't begin to imagine all the changes I've seen since first moving here in 1960 and I feel privileged to have been a part of its meteoric rise to become a world class city. If you can't appreciate that then perhaps this isn't the right city for you.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:15 PM

5,347 posts, read 9,138,133 times
If you are looking for a great job, low cost of living, shopping, world-class medical care (scarsely ever mentioned here), great restaurants and first class cultural amenities then you would be hard pressed to do better than Houston. But if on the other hand you are far more concerned with the crime rate, weather, traffic or air quality then don't bother to come on down. Houston is a city on the move and will very likely overtake Chicago before very long and move into third place. This city has a global presence and welcomes visitors from the four corners of the world.

You can't begin to imagine all the changes I've seen since first moving here in 1960 and I feel privileged to have been a part of its meteoric rise to become a world class city. If you can't appreciate that then perhaps this isn't the right city for you.

I don't think I could have said it much better.

I've only been here since the late 90's, and I've seen great changes just in that time.

I always say, Houston is a very underrated city.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:41 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,665,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
But why would anyone needing a decent income bother to come here then?

The energy industry (primarily) is responsible for the massive infusion of new jobs here and with those jobs comes people and the attendant problems (crime, traffic, pollution etc.).

If you are looking for a great job, low cost of living, shopping, world-class medical care (scarsely ever mentioned here), great restaurants and first class cultural amenities then you would be hard pressed to do better than Houston. But if on the other hand you are far more concerned with the crime rate, weather, traffic or air quality then don't bother to come on down.
My ideal is a good income vs. cost of living level, warm-to-hot weather, "starry" night skies and more friendly and relaxed way of life.

I'd rather live in a small town but I can handle big city annoyances like extreme traffic anyways. (the booming energy sector is the primary reason I'm curious about Houston)

Occaisionally I enjoy big city amenities, like restuarants, museums and festivals.

I noticed on vacation that in most American cities, (ie. Orlando, FL) they typically use much less street lighting than urban areas of Ontario. This would be a big positive for me.

Is Houston as a whole very bright, moderately bright or kind of dark at night?

I can handle a somewhat undesirable level of crime; I'm more concerned with how friendly and polite the average citizens are.

Does anyone think Houston might still be "too big" for me?
Since moving there would require some kind of immigration, I'd probably have to commit to living in one place for at least a few years.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:04 PM

20,055 posts, read 21,112,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
My ideal is a good income vs. cost of living level, warm-to-hot weather, "starry" night skies and more friendly and relaxed way of life.

I'd rather live in a small town but I can handle big city annoyances like extreme traffic anyways. (the booming energy sector is the primary reason I'm curious about Houston)

Occaisionally I enjoy big city amenities, like restuarants, museums and festivals.

I noticed on vacation that in most American cities, (ie. Orlando, FL) they typically use much less street lighting than urban areas of Ontario. This would be a big positive for me.

Is Houston as a whole very bright, moderately bright or kind of dark at night?

I can handle a somewhat undesirable level of crime; I'm more concerned with how friendly and polite the average citizens are.

Does anyone think Houston might still be "too big" for me?
Since moving there would require some kind of immigration, I'd probably have to commit to living in one place for at least a few years.
As much as I hate it here because of the heat, that's why I think you would like here. We do have street lights. I do think Texas are pretty friendly. I still think the outskirts is better for you like maybe The Woodlands, Kingwood. Have looked at Sugarland or Katy maybe?

Old 12-21-2006, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,435 times
The city is pretty ugly but there are parts that are breathtaking. I live in an old neighborhood with huge live oaks and magnolias so I enjoy their greenery ever single day.

We are moving soon and would love to know where the big trees are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston