Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 AM

867 posts, read 2,964,825 times

Advertisements

Though I do agree that this forum is overwhelmingly pro-Houston, I do think that Houston has many downsides that need to be addressed. Houston IMHO is a great place to live, but as I've lived in other parts of the US (mainly GA and AL), I'm aware that its not the best.

What gets to me is the "Energy Capital of the World" garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 03:47 AM

580 posts, read 1,077,204 times
THANK YOU for saying it like it is! I've never lived in Houston, but I've been there a number of time and had a friend who grew up in "Misery City." It's a big city and it's got plenty to do, and some of the museums are really nice, and I even like the Kemah Boardwalk, but overall, I would never live there. Most of the times I go it's in the summer and on top of the Texas heat it's just ridiculously humid, and certain parts of it (particularly the fifth ward, I believe) are pretty sketch. As for the illegal immigrants, I wouldn't put all the blame on them, as many really are trying to find a better life than they have in their respective countries; but unfortunately, you are correct in that a sizable portion go into crime.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:05 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,217,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonNTheRearViewMirror View Post
I've read many threads on here from people who are planning to move to Houston. I've been here 28 years and let me tell you what you're getting into:
360 days of hot humid weather (think of a sauna - you'll have the idea).
Cockroaches as big as housecats, year-round. Some even fly and land on you.
Mosquitoes and fleas in your yard year round - your dog will need flea and heartwoorm treatment 12 months per year.
Maddening traffic nightmares on the freeways, on the side streets, and in your neighborhood. Not just at rush hour, but at almost any time of day or night.
Trash pick up one time per week, even when it's 100 degrees outside.
Huge illegal immigrant population - they're becoming the majority here. They don't speak English, don't have driver's licenses or car insurance, but they think this is their country and WE are the trespassers.
No scenery (unless you count the 50 feet tall billboards for gentlemen's clubs and vasectomy reversal).
Violent crime in abundance, especially where the 150,000 Katrina refugees settled.
Air pollution that has been proven to cause high incidence of cancer. You can see the air here.
At any redlight, you'll see people emptying their car ashtrays out onto the road. In parks and areas frequented by illegals, you'll find an abundance of dirty diapers thrown on the ground.

On the other hand, Houston offers:
A low cost of living.
An abundance of jobs.

I guess I will receive many scathing replies from dyed-in-the-wool Houstonians and/or Texans, saying what a wonderful place Houston is, and maybe I should get the heck out. Save yourself the trouble. I am getting out, and that will be a happy day for me.
This thread is such a crock. Talk about STEREOTYPES. Seems you want to scare people into not moving into Houston. Stop being greedy and share the city for God's sake and stop spreading LIES.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:07 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,217,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Agree about the illegals, they're horrible litter bugs. They throw their trash out wherever they see fit and don't even blink an eye.

I wish our government would do with them, what they do to our landscape - I'd love to throw them out of the country.
Whites and other with their stereotypes. Incredible. How come in the 2 years I've been in Houston, I've never seen this? Makes you WONDER.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
What really is the truth about Houston?

Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
What really is the truth about Houston?
It's south of Dallas, east of San Antonio and west of New Orleans. True fact.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:16 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
Ture! People just make a city sound so bad to point where you just have to know the real truth about a city.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:13 PM

739 posts, read 2,253,435 times
we have seasons here to. There is a cool wet season and a hot drier season.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,090,098 times
Again with this topic?

I hate Houston...I love Houston...Houston sucks...give Houston a chance...it's not NYC...It's NOT NYC - judge Houston on its own merits...Houston is near an ocean...it's not an ocean...Houston needs a Trader Joe's...go back to California...Houston has no zoning & the weather sucks...people are friendly...I would never live in Houston...we don't want you here anyway!

*Sigh*

Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,122,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Though I do agree that this forum is overwhelmingly pro-Houston, I do think that Houston has many downsides that need to be addressed. Houston IMHO is a great place to live, but as I've lived in other parts of the US (mainly GA and AL), I'm aware that its not the best.

What gets to me is the "Energy Capital of the World" garbage.
Most cities on this forum are pro-whatever that city is. Yeah, but the one that gets me is the weather complaint. Why don't we make a sacrifice to the damned weather gods? Maybe they'll hear our prayers and the weather will change.

I live in Boston and there are downsides to living here. Plenty of them. However, I don't feel the need to address them everyday and there some things I like. I guess complaining (and not making any sort of effort or taking action) makes it better for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston