Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 01:59 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You mean "competent" judges like Denise Pratt? Or the "competent" judges that give court appointments to empty headed morons like Jared Woodfill? The Republican judges aren't all saints either.
Yep. Harris County had one of the highest conviction rates for juveniles. That, I bet, will change. Juveniles don't need to be locked up like dogs, they can be reformed. They are just kids.

I for one and really happy about what the people of Houston said when they voted. They got it right.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:40 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yep. Harris County had one of the highest conviction rates for juveniles. That, I bet, will change. Juveniles don't need to be locked up like dogs, they can be reformed. They are just kids.

I for one and really happy about what the people of Houston said when they voted. They got it right.
Sound like you are the perfect candidate to get your car/house break-in by a juvenile.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:02 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Thank God, finally kicking all those crooks out

Old 11-18-2018, 08:15 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Thank God, finally kicking all those crooks out
Talk about activist judges! I'm surprised that the GOP ran a stale ad touting the "fairness" of Harris County Republican judges. It may have worked last time, but definitely not this time. It seems the cat finally got out of the bag!

Glad that Ogg won last time, despite the blowout nationally for blue. I think there will be an actual justice system now in Harris County. Can't wait for the same thing to happen in Fort Bend! Middleton will become D.A. and now it's just a matter of replacing the judges.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:26 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
This is something I never thought I'd see:

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...n-the-midterms

Finally we may not be the incarceration capital of the US. People shouldn't be thrown in jail for minor offenses like smoking weed and stuff. Glad Houston is following Austin's lead on this.
For what else people should be let off?? DUI also?

Old 11-20-2018, 11:16 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Sweeps have not been unusual. Few know anything about individual judges. I'd say the vast majority of a judge's votes come from straight ticket party voting. Beto was a strong candidate at the top of ticket pulling a heavy turnout in Harris and soundly defeating Cruz.

When I was approaching the line at a polling location, a nice lady running for judge was asking for my vote and telling me about her values. I politely listened a few seconds, thanked her for running, and excused myself. Truth is, I wanted to tell her she was wasting her time, that she was going to win or lose based on who won the upper ticket races and it had nothing to do with her.

It'll be interesting from here on as Texas did away with straight ticket voting beginning in 2020.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06...ticket-voting/

Old 11-21-2018, 01:31 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Quote:
minor offenses like smoking weed and stuff. .
You mean like assaulting strangers on the street or home robbery? This reminds me of a shell game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Judges shouldn't have party affiliation next to their names on the ballot.
That was useful advice 30 years ago. In 2018 Republican means law and order, and respect for the constitution, while Democrat means anarchy and lying about the law and enforcing Marxist "values" instead of the law. When it comes to the Judiciary branch. The function of courts (as defined in the constitution) is to enforce the law. Only Republicans qualify because only they are willing to do it. Maybe some centrist Democrats too, but they are nowhere to be found.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:35 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
That was useful advice 30 years ago. In 2018 Republican means law and order, and respect for the constitution, while Democrat means anarchy and lying about the law and enforcing Marxist "values" instead of the law. When it comes to the Judiciary branch. The function of courts (as defined in the constitution) is to enforce the law. Only Republicans qualify because only they are willing to do it. Maybe some centrist Democrats too, but they are nowhere to be found.
Double yawn.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:06 AM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
You mean like assaulting strangers on the street or home robbery? This reminds me of a shell game.

I know you are trolling, and don't even live here, but that's total crap with no basis in truth. Some Republican judges are good, some are bad. Same thing with judges that run as Democrats. However, it was only Republican judges that thought poor misdemeanor defendants should be locked up by imposing bail from a schedule that didn't take personal circumstances into consideration. That policy will be overturned, but at great cost to Harris County taxpayers. It is Republican judges that continue to give court appointments to Jared Woodfill, the former head of the Republican Party in Harris County, despite the fact he's an idiot. It was Republican judge Denise Pratt who made up law in Family Court, destroying lives in the process.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:09 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times
I have a more general comment. It often seems to me that the type of people who run for office mostly to promote their careers and make money affiliate themselves with whatever party seems to be in vogue.

I went to the Soviet Union on business for a US oil company in 1991, during the coup against Gorbachov. Interestingly, the big shots who ran various oil-related institutes there were somewhat high in the Communist Party hierarchy up until that time. After the Soviet system fell, it seems they suddenly became capitalists and somehow came into a sort of ownership of the institutes that they formerly ran as communists.

My point is, there are many people who are aggressive about achieving personal success regardless of what pretense they have to make about ideology. I think it's a common human failing that we can see in our own country today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston