Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,245 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am from California and I am ready to pick up and go. California is ok but being that I was born and raised here I find myself just totally being over it. The cost of living here is ridiculous and people or either constantly trying move here because of the weather or entertainment. Most people are very rude here and carry an aura of entitlement. It has gotten worse over the years.

I'm on this Houston Forum to see if I can get any feed back from some Houstonians. Can I get your feed back as to how it is in Houston or surrounding cities. Like do you get all four seasons out there? It seems like we skip fall and spring here. Lol! How about the price of living? Is there diversity (nationalities)?

Thank you in advance for your feed back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Most diverse city in the US I beleive. Cost of living is not as low as it once was due to massive increase in housing costs over the last decade. Not crazy California numbers but way up there conpared to how it used to be. Fall and Spring are very nice. Summer is miserable. Lots of rain and sometimes flooding.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:45 AM

45 posts, read 86,298 times
I grew up in Dallas and live in Houston. Both cities are nice. Residents of each like to throw shade at the other. Dallas has lower humidity and less flooding. The winters in Dallas are a little colder and summers are a little hotter (though less humid). Both are growing really fast and the cost of living is rising rapidly. Houston is more diverse. Diversity in Dallas suburbs is rising quickly. If i wasn't moving for a specific job, I would look into Fort Worth. I'd probably look into which city offers you the most professionally to make your decision.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Im from LA and lived in Dallas for 6 years before moving to Houston. I put my observations here:

A Reflection of Houston and Dallas after years in both....

Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
I live in LA (Glendale) and have lived in Long Beach and West LA. I grew up in Houston.

The diversity in Houston is very different from LA because Houston boomed after housing covenants (neighborhood statutes enforcing segregation). You have a lot of neighborhoods in Houston where one street can contain ten different ethnicities/languages/nationalities/etc... So the diversity is a lot more integrated than in SoCal. Most of LA neighborhoods boomed from the early 1900's into the 1950s so neighborhoods were established before integration was a thing.

My neighborhood in Glendale is Armenian or Filipino without much variation (except for me).

My parents built a house in southwest Pearland in 2012. On their block of twenty homes there are latino, asian, african-american, generic white, european, etc... They all know each others' names. My dad has all their phone numbers and they look out for each other, grab packages left out on porches (to avoid porch pirates), and hang out. Even though I don't live there, I visit twice a year and when I go out for a walk they know who I am and say hello.

People are segregated more by income levels in Houston than by racial or ethnic lines. In LA you have a lot more closeness in income levels. You see homelessness right in your face whether you are just walking in your neighborhood or around your workplace. In Houston you more see it on the side of the road at an intersection and can keep your window up and ignore it. In LA you smell it on the street, in a starbucks, it's more of your daily life encounter.

Crime seems a little worse in Houston. It's not uncommon to see a shooting be the top two or three stories on the news (after trump coverage of course since that's ubiquitous). In LA you're more likely to see the top stories being some horrific wreck from street racing or car chases, or some random attack of a person on a street.

Weather is more varied in Houston. LA is hot and dry for most of the year and then gets sporadic weeks of drizzle and cold. You also won't see massive smoke days in Houston nearly as often. In LA it gets pretty bad.

The aura in both cities is pretty much live and let live. Houston isn't a conservative city, even out in the suburbs people might not like you but won't be rude to your face. You're more likely to get a freeze out than a verbal confrontation.

Business wise, people in Houston work a lot more. LA has a HUGE population of people who do absolutely nothing for work. They come from all over the world with their trust funds or overindulgent parents. It's not uncommon to meet a 40 year old still living off mom and dad who pay their rent and everything. In Houston that is a lot more rare and people will look at you funny.

Yes I am jealous of these people!! They drive me nuts. You seem them out all day playing on their laptop at coffeeshops, going to the latest workout craze gym, just doing nothing. That isn't something you would find as often in Houston. It doesn't attract the international hipster crowd.

The most annoying people I've met in LA are not from LA. The people who grew up here are a lot more like Houstonians. So just picture LA minus the ocean, mountains, and annoying transplants and you have Houston. And yes I miss Houston and plan to return in a few years.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:02 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Im from LA and lived in Dallas for 6 years before moving to Houston. I put my observations here:

A Reflection of Houston and Dallas after years in both....
His assessment there is spot on! I grew up in Houston but my mom's family is all from DFW so I spent a lot of time there. Lots of great points in the post he links. Definitely a great snapshot of what you'll find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston